Has anyone tried to install Gnome 3 desktop?
...  a few years back,  there was discussion on some of the (smaller) Distro sites and on a few of the online magazine sites,  
citing it was :   'possible to turn it off, but removing it broke the OS' ...
 They referred to it as the 'Amazon Eye'
Since I am not an  expert at this sort of thing,  I rely on what others say   (Mostly, and instinct).
"I really do like the fact that Ubuntu will run an old Dell laptop better than a Windoze  system. "  (seems to me)...
SO These days,     IF a Distro puts a 'Amazon' short-cut on their desktop,    I tend to get suspicious.
How often people just click " I Accept"  and do not read the pages of fine print disclosures..?
    (But, there is no disclosure about the Amazon icon on the desktop) ?

Maybe I am just Paranoid  ?
(This is off the thread subject, BUT, I was asked, soo...)
      LINUX = CHOICES
         **BCnAZ**
               Idea
   Donate to $upport
your favorite OS Team
I remember, years ago, that Ubu came with an Amazon icon and application, but it was easy to remove and i never saw it in Ubuntu again (although it was a sickening at the time).
I just put it down to a temporary lapse of judgement on Canonicals part, never repeated AFAIK.
It sounded like you had more a sinister reflection on it, tho
I tried on both, debian and ubuntu, via tasksel and doesn't run.

I can install, but gdm3 doesn't run. Need to change to lightdm, sddm or similar...

When try to login on gnome goes to login page again.
Does the Amazon thing track you? I thought it was just a shortcut link to their website? You can easily uninstall it.
1st,   I am not a software expert...
 But I have read on reputable websites :  It has been a while so I cannot quote anyone.
but deleting a 'short cut' does not remove any tracking software.
... but from what I remember reading,  you can turn off the tracking but when they tried to remove the tracking software, it broke the OS.
so apparently it is intertwined pretty deep...

**   Overall I really like that OS,  there are thousands of great people that work on it  !  

( Probably would have been better if I had Not mentioned that,   But that did prompt me to move to Debian,)
      LINUX = CHOICES
         **BCnAZ**
               Idea
   Donate to $upport
your favorite OS Team
(11-08-2019, 12:03 AM)bcnaz Wrote: 1st,   I am not a software expert...
 But I have read on reputable websites :  It has been a while so I cannot quote anyone.
... but from what I remember reading,  you can turn off the tracking but when they tried to remove the tracking software, it broke the OS.

**   Overall I really like that OS,  there are thousands of great people that work on it  !  

( Probably would have been better if I had Not mentioned that,   But that did prompt me to move to Debian,)

Hi,

I didn't mean that removing a shortcut would remove a programme. Besides, wasn't the Amazon thing just an integration with Ubuntu's Unity/Gnome search functionality that could be switched off in the settings, and removed from the software manager thingy (forget what it's called now)?

I used to like Ubuntu, but I'm not a fan of using snaps for everything. I'm currently exploring alternative distros. At the moment, I'm torn between Manjaro and Fedora.

Ben
(11-02-2019, 08:30 PM)bcnaz Wrote: Feakster:
Gnome works great on Debian Stretch,   But within the original OFFICIAL release notes for Debian Buster they say it will no longer work with the Gnome desktop...
 (It has to do with the new MIT wayland changes)
 Some have argued they can make it work,  but if the official distribution writers themselves say it will not work....  I am not one to argue with them.    
Mate works with Buster and is supposed to be based on Gnome.....  Gnome does work still on many Distro's  IF you must use it.
Gnome was my first Favorite Linux Desktop (and still is)  but Debian is my preferred "Cleanest" operating system.

I've searched thru release notes for Buster and didn't find any info that Debian will not offer Gnome. Are you sure about that ?
I've also installed debian testing last week on one of my computers and it does have gnome as default.

As to the "cleanliness" of Debian I agree 100%. I use testing on my daily laptop for last 8 years or so without reinstall. I treat it as a rolling release and it works great.
I would like to use testing also on PBP but I think it will brake some optimizations. To actually run it  - we could use   a list of optimizations that were done to factory image that comes with new PBP. Unfotunately such a list is not available anywhere. Unless I'm missing something.
(11-08-2019, 01:55 AM)Feakster Wrote:
(11-08-2019, 12:03 AM)bcnaz Wrote: 1st,   I am not a software expert...

Hi,

I didn't mean that removing a shortcut would remove a programme. Besides, wasn't the Amazon thing just an integration with Ubuntu's Unity/Gnome search functionality that could be switched off in the settings, and removed from the software manager thingy (forget what it's called now)?

I used to like Ubuntu, but I'm not a fan of using snaps for everything. I'm currently exploring alternative distros. At the moment, I'm torn between Manjaro and Fedora.

Ben

I believe that search thing was a separate software item,  so many complained  they dropped that.
 Ubuntu does just work without any searching for drivers or learning anything new, like terminal.
 The Debian 'Non-free' edition does come with a few private drivers, but that version does not come with the 'Security keys' installed.
  >Finding and installing the security keys is even harder than installing private drivers for the wifi..!
I am not familiar with Manjaro, I have tried Fedora and I do like some of the features,
   but I would need to learn more before I could daily drive it.

(11-08-2019, 02:00 AM)as400 Wrote:
(11-02-2019, 08:30 PM)bcnaz Wrote: Feakster:
Gnome works great on Debian Stretch,   But within the original OFFICIAL release notes for Debian Buster they say it will no longer work with the Gnome desktop...
 (It has to do with the new MIT wayland changes)
 Some have argued they can make it work,  but if the official distribution writers themselves say it will not work....  I am not one to argue with them.    
Mate works with Buster and is supposed to be based on Gnome.....  Gnome does work still on many Distro's  IF you must use it.
Gnome was my first Favorite Linux Desktop (and still is)  but Debian is my preferred "Cleanest" operating system.

I've searched thru release notes for Buster and didn't find any info that Debian will not offer Gnome. Are you sure about that ?
I've also installed debian testing last week on one of my computers and it does have gnome as default.

As to the "cleanliness" of Debian I agree 100%. I use testing on my daily laptop for last 8 years or so without reinstall. I treat it as a rolling release and it works great.
I would like to use testing also on PBP but I think it will brake some optimizations. To actually run it  - we could use   a list of optimizations that were done to factory image that comes with new PBP. Unfotunately such a list is not available anywhere. Unless I'm missing something.

AS4000 :
 That was a day or two after Buster released,
    But I was back at the Debian site last night and saw nothing pertaining to Gnome being in-compible.
      LINUX = CHOICES
         **BCnAZ**
               Idea
   Donate to $upport
your favorite OS Team
Gnome3 works on PinebookPro with ManjaroLinuxARM Preview1. Not bad Smile ... although KDE is a bit more responsive.
(11-09-2019, 07:12 AM)pawlinski Wrote: Gnome3 works on PinebookPro with ManjaroLinuxARM Preview1. Not bad Smile ... although KDE is a bit more responsive.

Downloading it now.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Attempting to install Void Linux, boots into a black screen 9a3eedi 0 203 02-18-2024, 08:54 AM
Last Post: 9a3eedi
  install debian on pbp jsch 7 3,826 11-22-2023, 04:22 PM
Last Post: TRS-80
  Install deepin OS on pinebook pro wangyukunshan 4 1,422 08-07-2023, 01:12 PM
Last Post: myself600
  Unable to install Debian Bullseye because of missing wifi firmware Pino64 7 3,819 07-15-2023, 02:58 PM
Last Post: u974615
  Blank screen after Armbian 20.04 install to emmc? psychoacoustic 3 3,342 04-01-2023, 03:22 PM
Last Post: TRS-80
Rainbow How to prevent the screen from dimming (no X/wm/desktop)? cowsay 0 495 02-16-2023, 10:58 AM
Last Post: cowsay
  unsuccessful re-install of OS for PineBookPro Valiance 3 1,200 02-14-2023, 12:49 PM
Last Post: Valiance
  Tow Boot install help Paulie420 7 3,570 11-24-2022, 10:24 AM
Last Post: myself600
  How can I install Debian? ImmyChan 1 1,922 10-19-2022, 03:09 AM
Last Post: alpopa
Information Install Void Linux with near-full-disk encryption dumetrulo 3 2,945 09-05-2022, 12:00 PM
Last Post: petersen77