PINE64
Has anyone tried to install Gnome 3 desktop? - Printable Version

+- PINE64 (https://forum.pine64.org)
+-- Forum: Pinebook Pro (https://forum.pine64.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=111)
+--- Forum: Linux on Pinebook Pro (https://forum.pine64.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=114)
+--- Thread: Has anyone tried to install Gnome 3 desktop? (/showthread.php?tid=8171)

Pages: 1 2 3

Has anyone tried to install Gnome 3 desktop? - User 11436 - 11-02-2019

Hi All,

I've yet to receive my Pinebook Pro, as I failed to intercept the DHL delivery person before they got to the delivery office on my work site. It's not sat in postal purgatory until Monday. Sad

However, something that I'm interested in is the possibility of running Gnome 3 desktop on the Pinebook Pro. There are already a few Linux builds using the MATE and KDE desktop environments. As far as I'm aware, Gnome 3 looks to be roughly similar to these in terms of system resource usage.

Ben

RE: Has anyone tried to install Gnome 3 desktop? - Luke - 11-02-2019

Try on the Ubuntu image please.

RE: Has anyone tried to install Gnome 3 desktop? - User 11436 - 11-02-2019

(11-02-2019, 10:55 AM)Luke Wrote: Try on the Ubuntu image please.

Why not the Debian one?

Ben

RE: Has anyone tried to install Gnome 3 desktop? - Luke - 11-02-2019

(11-02-2019, 01:17 PM)Feakster Wrote:
(11-02-2019, 10:55 AM)Luke Wrote: Try on the Ubuntu image please.

Why not the Debian one?

Ben

I had problems getting acceleration in KDE on Debian - in Ubuntu it 'just worked', hence my suggestion.

RE: Has anyone tried to install Gnome 3 desktop? - bcnaz - 11-02-2019

Feakster:
Gnome works great on Debian Stretch, But within the original OFFICIAL release notes for Debian Buster they say it will no longer work with the Gnome desktop...
(It has to do with the new MIT wayland changes)
Some have argued they can make it work, but if the official distribution writers themselves say it will not work.... I am not one to argue with them.
Mate works with Buster and is supposed to be based on Gnome..... Gnome does work still on many Distro's IF you must use it.
Gnome was my first Favorite Linux Desktop (and still is) but Debian is my preferred "Cleanest" operating system.

Update :

Apparently they have the Gnome desktop working now on the mainstream Debian.
But immediately following Busters release there was notice that Gnome did not get along with the new 'Wayland'
I spent a whole day looking through their release notes back then and did not discover much.
I am really glad they resolved the conflict... !

RE: Has anyone tried to install Gnome 3 desktop? - bcnaz - 11-02-2019

ADD:/edit
Ubuntu was my first favorite operating system, but I do feel they are not open about their built-in trackers.....
since I learned about the 'Amazon Eye' (and others)......
"Kind of like Google" but more hidden.. ! No fine print "disclosures"

RE: Has anyone tried to install Gnome 3 desktop? - User 11436 - 11-03-2019

(11-02-2019, 08:30 PM)bcnaz Wrote: Feakster:
Gnome works great on Debian Stretch,   But within the original OFFICIAL release notes for Debian Buster they say it will no longer work with the Gnome desktop...
 Some have argued they can make it work,  but if the official distribution writers themselves say it will not work....  I am not one to argue with them.    
Mate works with Buster and is supposed to be based on Gnome.....  Gnome does work still on many Distro's  IF you must use it.
Gnome was my first Favorite Linux Desktop (and still is)  but Debian is my preferred "Cleanest" operating system.

Hi,

But doesn't the latest version of Debian (Buster) come with Gnome 3 as the default desktop?

Ben

RE: Has anyone tried to install Gnome 3 desktop? - User 11436 - 11-03-2019

(11-02-2019, 08:30 PM)bcnaz Wrote: Feakster:
Gnome works great on Debian Stretch,   But within the original OFFICIAL release notes for Debian Buster they say it will no longer work with the Gnome desktop...
 Some have argued they can make it work,  but if the official distribution writers themselves say it will not work....  I am not one to argue with them.    
Mate works with Buster and is supposed to be based on Gnome.....  Gnome does work still on many Distro's  IF you must use it.
Gnome was my first Favorite Linux Desktop (and still is)  but Debian is my preferred "Cleanest" operating system.

Would budgie work on the Debian build?

Ben

RE: Has anyone tried to install Gnome 3 desktop? - zaius - 11-03-2019

(11-02-2019, 10:25 PM)bcnaz Wrote: ADD:/edit
 Ubuntu was my first favorite operating  system,  but I do feel they are not open about their built-in trackers.....
"Kind of like Google"  but more hidden.. !  No fine print "disclosures"

Ubuntu has built-in trackers? Huh

RE: Has anyone tried to install Gnome 3 desktop? - Watercourse - 11-03-2019

(11-03-2019, 07:32 AM)zaius Wrote:
(11-02-2019, 10:25 PM)bcnaz Wrote: ADD:/edit
 Ubuntu was my first favorite operating  system,  but I do feel they are not open about their built-in trackers.....
"Kind of like Google"  but more hidden.. !  No fine print "disclosures"

Ubuntu has built-in trackers? Huh

Yes, bcnaz, would you say more about that?