0.9.14 Release: Ubuntu 18.04 with Mate & LXDE Desktop
(10-21-2019, 06:31 PM)zaius Wrote:
(10-21-2019, 04:50 AM)Luke Wrote: If you flash Ubuntu to eMMC you'll have to tinker a fair bit to re-flash other OS images.

Perhaps you or ayufan would care to elaborate?  I'm sure many people would like to know what that entails, since trying Ubuntu on eMMC will be very popular.

(10-21-2019, 04:50 AM)Luke Wrote: Can you try USB 3.0 boot?

I tried both the Bionic LXDE and Bionic Mate Mate, each on two different USB sticks, and none of them would boot from USB.

If I recall correctly, USB boot is in the current uboot only possible on usb2, that is, you need to insert your stock in the usb2 port on the pbp. Usb3 isn't impossible but not implemented in uboot yet!
Linux newbie learning programming as a hobby!

Pinebook Pro running bionic ubuntu
Rockpro64 4gb v2.1 in the NAS enclosure running omv
Rock64 1gb as a retrogaming station

If I flash it to whole emmc device and then run that script from mrfixit2001, can it work?

Or rather to decompress that Ubuntu image and flash the root image to root partition and boot image to boot partition, will it preserve that uboot fix and SD card boot will work?
You are correct, USB boot doesn't work yet
You can find me on IRC, Discord and Twitter

(10-22-2019, 12:55 AM)Meatball Wrote: If I recall correctly, USB boot is in the current uboot only possible on usb2, that is, you need to insert your stock in the usb2 port on the pbp. Usb3 isn't impossible but not implemented in uboot yet!

Neither worked.

Anyway, Firefox seems stable.  Setting the clock works.  The sound preferences panel works (testing the speakers &microphone works).

Is there something I could try to test the camera?

The GDebi package Installer doesn't seem to do anything.  The keyboard layout is all screwed up (I locked myself out of this forum trying to type my password).

Software Update shows updates, although I did not install them.  I also have not executed the "Upgrade" commands listed here:  https://github.com/ayufan-rock64/linux-build/releases  I'll try later.  If it breaks, I'll flash another SD card.
Heart 
(10-22-2019, 02:08 PM)zaius Wrote:
(10-22-2019, 12:55 AM)Meatball Wrote: If I recall correctly, USB boot is in the current uboot only possible on usb2, that is, you need to insert your stock in the usb2 port on the pbp. Usb3 isn't impossible but not implemented in uboot yet!

Neither worked.

Anyway, Firefox seems stable.  Setting the clock works.  The sound preferences panel works (testing the speakers &microphone works).

Is there something I could try to test the camera?

The GDebi package Installer doesn't seem to do anything.  The keyboard layout is all screwed up (I locked myself out of this forum trying to type my password).

Software Update shows updates, although I did not install them.  I also have not executed the "Upgrade" commands listed here:  https://github.com/ayufan-rock64/linux-build/releases  I'll try later.  If it breaks, I'll flash another SD card.

I had trouble with keyboard until I wrapped my head around the different characters where I was used to finding them. Being an old "hunt and peck" typist,  I finally figured I needed to use a different key to enter some passwords...I'm old, what can I say! :-)

For the camera, try guvcview from Synaptic.....:-)
Ok, so installing on eMMC worked fine, SD card boot still works, KDE Plasma works nice, not absolutely smooth, but maybe after some tweaking it will be better. So far, very good experience.

Sometimes I do not see the battery status, usually it is fixed in a few minutes. Had to install a lot of packages to make everything working.
(10-23-2019, 12:28 AM)Wizzard Wrote: Ok, so installing on eMMC worked fine, SD card boot still works, KDE Plasma works nice, not absolutely smooth, but maybe after some tweaking it will be better. So far, very good experience.

Sometimes I do not see the battery status, usually it is fixed in a few minutes. Had to install a lot of packages to make everything working.
Sounds very promising....

Do you have a list of the packages you've installed?

I'm looking to expand my "experience" beyond the installed OS, but want to be sure that things work more "completely" before venturing on to the next challenge...:-)
(10-23-2019, 03:24 AM)rick1959 Wrote: Sounds very promising....

I'm looking to expand my "experience" beyond the installed OS, but want to be sure that things work more "completely" before venturing on to the next challenge...:-)

I installed this:
- plasma-desktop
- kde-full
- kubuntu-full
- kubuntu-desktop
- krusader
- konsole
- plasma-nm
- muon
- kwin
- sddm
- kinfocenter
- systemsettings
- powerdevil

Check also my other thread https://forum.pine64.org/showthread.php?tid=8119
(10-23-2019, 04:15 AM)Wizzard Wrote:

I installed this:
- plasma-desktop
- kde-full
- kubuntu-full
- kubuntu-desktop
- krusader
- konsole
- plasma-nm
- muon
- kwin
- sddm
- kinfocenter
- systemsettings
- powerdevil
Outstanding, Thank You!!
Will give it whirl soon :-)
(10-23-2019, 04:15 AM)Wizzard Wrote:

I installed this:
- plasma-desktop
- kde-full
- kubuntu-full
- kubuntu-desktop
- krusader
- konsole
- plasma-nm
- muon
- kwin
- sddm
- kinfocenter
- systemsettings
- powerdevil

kwim_x11 or wayland?
You can find me on IRC, Discord and Twitter

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Gentoo on Pinebook Pro RELEASE jannik2099 54 86,518 12-08-2023, 11:25 PM
Last Post: tllim
  Armbian 22.02 release announcement TRS-80 22 13,320 04-01-2023, 03:19 PM
Last Post: TRS-80
Rainbow How to prevent the screen from dimming (no X/wm/desktop)? cowsay 0 495 02-16-2023, 10:58 AM
Last Post: cowsay
  Install the DDE desktop environment wangyukunshan 0 1,279 12-23-2021, 06:51 PM
Last Post: wangyukunshan
  Desktop environment of Ubuntukylin 20.04 wangyukunshan 3 3,082 10-26-2021, 08:07 PM
Last Post: wangyukunshan
  After update in Ubuntu bionic mate system crashed Wawe 2 3,124 04-18-2021, 04:52 AM
Last Post: Wawe
  OpenMandriva to release ARM builds for PineBook Pro and Pi ludix 11 9,479 03-02-2021, 07:06 PM
Last Post: BronzeBeard
  Ubuntu Installation on PBP narinderpal10 5 5,825 12-18-2020, 12:22 PM
Last Post: narinderpal10
  Ubuntu MATE 18.04 Can't boot after update hankg 2 3,077 12-15-2020, 01:53 AM
Last Post: BryanF
Information [Development Release] Fedora 32/CentOS 8 Pinebook Pro Images wideawake 12 14,620 12-10-2020, 10:06 AM
Last Post: pieter085