[Development Release] Fedora 32/CentOS 8 Pinebook Pro Images
Information 
After my recent posts on various social media platforms there was interested showed in test driving some of the images I have been working on. I have now decided that I have roughed out enough of an image to make available to the public. I plan on building and deploying a custom repo with my RPMs I have built with various Pinebook Pro related fixes and tweaks in the near future. Install and expand the partition as usual.

Note: This is an early `pre-release` if you will. INSTALL TO SD ONLY. I only have a ANSI based Pinebook Pro so that is the only device this has been tested on.

Fedora 32 Workstation:
MD5 Checksum: 5b39417f1c24716c822834c80ad59b5f
Download Link

CentOS 8 Server with GUI:
MD5 Checksum: ce1da2f8355e31217dacd72f2baf702c
Download Link

Known Issues:
CentOS: Screen brightness function key not working, works in Fedora  :?
Fedora: Shutdown PackageKit Daemon takes 1.5mins, thought I fixed this...
Fine One? Report It!

To Do:
Fix kernel packing to more closely resemble Fedora/CentOS Official RPMs
Fix Plymouth boot screen?

Please if you find any bugs, tweaks, have comments, or suggestions feel free to drop them here!
-Mike
Thank you for the image. I installed it earlier today. I like the way it goes into an OEM sort of setup. After installing I found it needed ~700MB of updates which seems like a lot for a new fresh image.

It has been running very nicely through out the day. All the special function keys do what they are labeled to do. Sound works quite well. Power management and usage is good as well. I have not encountered any issues with this.

Thanks again
bill
(08-04-2020, 05:26 PM)wove Wrote: Thank you for the image. I installed it earlier today. I like the way it goes into an OEM sort of setup. After installing I found it needed ~700MB of updates which seems like a lot for a new fresh image.

It has been running very nicely through out the day. All the special function keys do what they are labeled to do. Sound works quite well. Power management and usage is good as well. I have not encountered any issues with this.

Thanks again
bill

You are very welcome. Thank you for trying it out and posting your feedback! I had a tough time debating whether to update the packages or leave at the base release. I will do a dnf update on the next images before release. Smile

Awesome! I should also mention while it says development release it is super stable and I have optimized all the bits I could. Even got boot time down to ~40 seconds or so.

-Mike
I'm using the Fedora image on an sd card. I needed an image to play with SELinux. I've not seen any issues yet. I have very little experience with Gnome 3, but I'm surprised how well its running on the PBP so far. I'll post if I find anything not working as it should, but so far so good.

Thanks for the effort, this image is quite usable!
A few bugs and quibbles
I don't like the way gdm is setup, session chooser in bottom right
and only after user is selected
I could never get right click to register, in any DE
dndragora never worked, python3 often hung
I couldn't get xfce to work, always hung
icewm was about the best alternative to gnome
dnd seems to want to refresh on slightest provocation,
must have reloaded 6 times
I never did try rpm, I guess I should have
Do you have md5sums for these images? I have tried writing both of them to two different cards, and I can't get either to boot. Either I have corrupt downloads or I am overlooking something in the image writing. I've been using:

xzcat centos8-202008-ARMDevelopers.img.xz | dd of=/dev/mmcblk0 conv=fsync bs=1m status=progress

Am I missing something there?

Thanks,
Jon
(08-14-2020, 10:33 PM)hotsaucegrocer Wrote: Do you have md5sums for these images? I have tried writing both of them to two different cards, and I can't get either to boot. Either I have corrupt downloads or I am overlooking something in the image writing. I've been using:

xzcat centos8-202008-ARMDevelopers.img.xz | dd of=/dev/mmcblk0 conv=fsync bs=1m status=progress

Am I missing something there?

Thanks,
Jon

Hi Jon,
I have updated the first post with the checksums, thanks for suggesting! Check your download but everything sounds fine. Does your main OS on your EMMC boot fine?

(08-09-2020, 06:10 PM)trm Wrote: I'm using the Fedora image on an sd card. I needed an image to play with SELinux. I've not seen any issues yet. I have very little experience with Gnome 3, but I'm surprised how well its running on the PBP so far. I'll post if I find anything not working as it should, but so far so good.

Thanks for the effort, this image is quite usable!

Were you able to get SELinux working on the image? Something is escaping me even after recompiling support into the kernel.
-Mike
I'm not at all sure with a compressed image that you need to bother with md5sum,,
if a zip or xz is damaged, it will error out, For an iso, yes, it is worthwhile to check
All zip programs have a test function, nearly always -t, example ,, xz -t <image>
You may know, if it says nothing, all is well, image is OK
I used fedora image, mrfixit on emmc (and so, mrfixit uboot)
(08-14-2020, 10:48 PM)wdt Wrote: I'm not at all sure with a compressed image that you need to bother with md5sum,,
if a zip or xz is damaged, it will error out, For an iso, yes, it is worthwhile to check
All zip programs have a test function, nearly always -t, example ,, xz -t <image>

Right, I am working on debugging the official fedora image. Lots of trials and tribulations but it's starting to make sense. Big Grin
(08-14-2020, 10:51 PM)wideawake Wrote:
(08-14-2020, 10:48 PM)wdt Wrote: I'm not at all sure with a compressed image that you need to bother with md5sum,,
if a zip or xz is damaged, it will error out,  For an iso, yes, it is worthwhile to check

Right, I am working on debugging the official fedora image. Lots of trials and tribulations but it's starting to make sense. Big Grin
Hi wideawake and other

I can't find your image anywhere. the URL is empty Sad

Andreas

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Debian on Pinebook Pro u974615 8 444 03-22-2024, 03:57 PM
Last Post: u974615
  Fedora 37 installation gswatkins 16 5,521 03-16-2024, 03:09 PM
Last Post: michel_luc
  Pinebook Pro upgrading from the factory image yamsoup 12 1,113 02-22-2024, 04:02 PM
Last Post: tllim
  Help installing Manjaro on eMMC of Pinebook Pro pine4546464 4 1,914 12-13-2023, 07:22 PM
Last Post: trillobite
  Need Help Recovering Manjaro /boot Contents on Pinebook Pro calinb 6 1,979 12-11-2023, 03:47 AM
Last Post: calinb
  Gentoo on Pinebook Pro RELEASE jannik2099 54 86,622 12-08-2023, 11:25 PM
Last Post: tllim
  Boot Order in Pinebook Pro food 8 992 11-23-2023, 07:37 AM
Last Post: KC9UDX
  Fedora 36 -> 37 upgrade kills system tydeman 0 370 10-28-2023, 09:53 AM
Last Post: tydeman
  PineBook Pro seems to go to deep sleep, but doesn't wake up pogo 11 4,924 08-31-2023, 04:20 PM
Last Post: TRS-80
  Would a Pinebook Pro be good for a Linux newbie? cassado10 6 1,324 08-08-2023, 04:58 AM
Last Post: moobythegoldensock