0.9.14 Release: Ubuntu 18.04 with Mate & LXDE Desktop
(10-06-2019, 09:49 AM)Arwen Wrote:
(10-06-2019, 05:06 AM)neilman Wrote: ...

For printer I wanted to change single sided to duplex for the auto detected Epson printer. Trying to apply the change required authorization to which I entered user rock64 and my new password. It responded with incorrect password.
Similarly trying to add detected network Brother printer needed the same authorization.
Might it need root authorization? If so what is root password?

Yes, CUPS requires root privs, and magic password is "root"!
(At least that is what they say here in the forums.)

Umm, nope. Still comes back with wrong password. Credentials tried rock64/mypassword, rock64/rock64, root/rock64, root/root - nothing works Huh

Help!
Did you try rebooting and logging in as root?

Also, see if there is way to do it via command line, then try sudo.
(10-06-2019, 03:37 PM)zaius Wrote: Did you try rebooting and logging in as root?

Also, see if there is way to do it via command line, then try sudo.

Yes but I cannot change user account name field - the login account is "nailed-in" as "rock64", logging out or switching user still takes me to the rock64 sign-in screen. Perhaps it was hard-coded in this build?

Perhaps Ayufan needs MOAR BEER Smile
I have a plan to introduce account creation wizard, you know this is better than pre-fixed accounts.

I will look at CUPS.
Homepage: https://ayufan.eu

Releases:
Rock/Pro 64/Pinebook Pro: LinuxChromium OS
So/Pine A64/Pinebook: LinuxAndroid 6.0Android 7.1

Buy me a Beer
(10-08-2019, 03:16 AM)ayufan Wrote: I have a plan to introduce account creation wizard, you know this is better than pre-fixed accounts.

I will look at CUPS.

Thank you Ayufan.

I tried accessing CUPS from a browser and again tried to change printer default settings but on clicking "apply" it came back with "forbidden".
On other machines the admin screen pops up when appropriate requesting credentials at which you could enter root credentials.
On poking around in CUPS I did get a login screen but the only credential it accepted was "rock64/mypassword" and then promptly said "Forbidden".

Also am I being a bit dense here? - I can't find any package manager to search, choose and install any other packages.
The "software" link just takes me to download source locations and the "software updater" just updates my current build successfully (as it should).

Still learning on Linux so it might just be me "missing something obvious".
(10-08-2019, 05:57 AM)neilman Wrote:
(10-08-2019, 03:16 AM)ayufan Wrote: I have a plan to introduce account creation wizard, you know this is better than pre-fixed accounts.

I will look at CUPS.

Thank you Ayufan.

I tried accessing CUPS from a browser and again tried to change printer default settings but on clicking "apply" it came back with "forbidden".
On other machines the admin screen pops up when appropriate requesting credentials at which you could enter root credentials.
On poking around in CUPS I did get a login screen but the only credential it accepted was "rock64/mypassword" and then promptly said "Forbidden".

Also am I being a bit dense here? - I can't find any package manager to search, choose and install any other packages.
The "software" link just takes me to download source locations and the "software updater" just updates my current build successfully (as it should).

Maybe I should add one: the package manager.

Will look at that.

neilman:

The problem with cups is likely that `rock64` is not part of `lpadmin` group.

Try to add yourself to this group with:

Code:
sudo usermod -aG lp,lpadmin rock64

Reboot, and you should be able to modify cups freely then.

As for the package manager, you can install:

Code:
sudo apt-get install synaptic
Homepage: https://ayufan.eu

Releases:
Rock/Pro 64/Pinebook Pro: LinuxChromium OS
So/Pine A64/Pinebook: LinuxAndroid 6.0Android 7.1

Buy me a Beer
So I've been trying out this build on SD.  I haven't had time the time to explore it thoroughly.  Regardless, in order to make a fair comparison with the stock Debian build, I would like to run it off the eMMC.  What is the best way to install it on the eMMC?  I read comments that dd would not be the best way to do that.

Then I presume I would run these updates here:

https://github.com/ayufan-rock64/linux-b...tag/0.9.14

and this keyboard updater:

https://github.com/ayufan-rock64/pineboo...rd-updater

Does the keyboard updater also apply to to the stock Debian build?

So far, I think I like the Bionic OS better.   The speakers sound better, USB sticks eject without error, and I can immediately set my own password.  Changing Chromium settings is broken on both builds.  Video quality doesn't seem as good, but that could be due to the difference between SD and eMMC.  I haven't had the time to test Firefox, clock settings, package manager, etc.
@zaius - and everyone else reading this post - let the KB updater be for now. We don't have a proper fix for the issue yet, and flashing the FW just for the sake of flashing it isn't be best idea -- you are writing to a SPI chip after all. The fewer times you do it the better / lower the risk. But yes, it can be done from the default image too.

If you flash Ubuntu to eMMC you'll have to tinker a fair bit to re-flash other OS images. Can you try USB 3.0 boot?
You can find me on IRC, Discord and Twitter

So is there any way to flash Ubuntu to emmc and to have also the possibility to boot from SD? Ubuntu feels really better and is also newer.
(10-21-2019, 04:50 AM)Luke Wrote: If you flash Ubuntu to eMMC you'll have to tinker a fair bit to re-flash other OS images.

Perhaps you or ayufan would care to elaborate?  I'm sure many people would like to know what that entails, since trying Ubuntu on eMMC will be very popular.

(10-21-2019, 04:50 AM)Luke Wrote: Can you try USB 3.0 boot?

I tried both the Bionic LXDE and Bionic Mate, each on two different USB sticks, and none of them would boot from USB.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Gentoo on Pinebook Pro RELEASE jannik2099 54 86,613 12-08-2023, 11:25 PM
Last Post: tllim
  Armbian 22.02 release announcement TRS-80 22 13,326 04-01-2023, 03:19 PM
Last Post: TRS-80
Rainbow How to prevent the screen from dimming (no X/wm/desktop)? cowsay 0 495 02-16-2023, 10:58 AM
Last Post: cowsay
  Install the DDE desktop environment wangyukunshan 0 1,282 12-23-2021, 06:51 PM
Last Post: wangyukunshan
  Desktop environment of Ubuntukylin 20.04 wangyukunshan 3 3,086 10-26-2021, 08:07 PM
Last Post: wangyukunshan
  After update in Ubuntu bionic mate system crashed Wawe 2 3,126 04-18-2021, 04:52 AM
Last Post: Wawe
  OpenMandriva to release ARM builds for PineBook Pro and Pi ludix 11 9,483 03-02-2021, 07:06 PM
Last Post: BronzeBeard
  Ubuntu Installation on PBP narinderpal10 5 5,827 12-18-2020, 12:22 PM
Last Post: narinderpal10
  Ubuntu MATE 18.04 Can't boot after update hankg 2 3,078 12-15-2020, 01:53 AM
Last Post: BryanF
Information [Development Release] Fedora 32/CentOS 8 Pinebook Pro Images wideawake 12 14,636 12-10-2020, 10:06 AM
Last Post: pieter085