Welcome, Guest
You have to register before you can post on our site.

Username

Password

(Advanced Search)

Forum Statistics
» Members: 28,097
» Latest member: Garywoo
» Forum threads: 15,675
» Forum posts: 114,527

Full Statistics

Latest Threads
[Star64] Help needed in u...
Forum: Getting Started
Last Post: InterestedinFOSS
5 hours ago
» Replies: 0
» Views: 7
Need help in understandin...
Forum: General
Last Post: InterestedinFOSS
5 hours ago
» Replies: 0
» Views: 8
Slarm64 on PinePhone [Uno...
Forum: PinePhone Software
Last Post: donchurch
5 hours ago
» Replies: 38
» Views: 24,773
New Hardware
Forum: Pinebook Pro Hardware and Accessories
Last Post: dachalife
7 hours ago
» Replies: 1
» Views: 73
bookworm vs trixie discus...
Forum: PinePhone Pro Software
Last Post: mburns
8 hours ago
» Replies: 10
» Views: 1,724
PinePhone app development
Forum: PinePhone Software
Last Post: Jonnyc
10 hours ago
» Replies: 15
» Views: 3,862
debugging issue realted t...
Forum: Manjaro on PinePhone
Last Post: tapirsurfeit
Today, 03:15 AM
» Replies: 3
» Views: 264
Pinephone Pro + Keyboard ...
Forum: PinePhone Pro Hardware
Last Post: AegisWages
Yesterday, 08:38 PM
» Replies: 2
» Views: 688
Bluetooth Handsfree Bount...
Forum: General Discussion on PinePhone
Last Post: JohnA
Yesterday, 06:03 AM
» Replies: 25
» Views: 2,066
PinePhone - boot from mic...
Forum: General Discussion on PinePhone
Last Post: bongosunny
Yesterday, 02:22 AM
» Replies: 6
» Views: 531

Kit version of the PinePhone?
Posted by: Redhatter - 04-27-2021, 04:02 PM - Forum: General Discussion on PinePhone - Replies (6)

Hi all,

I was wondering whether there was a "kit" version of the PinePhone that allowed the user to customise the hardware?

Specifically the customisations I'm looking at:
- SMA connection for external cellular antenna: in spite of being on one of the "better" carriers (Telstra) here in Australia, sometimes I'm in places where reception is not great
- enlarged battery (presently I get about 2 days stand-by on my ZTE T83, I'd like to expand this)

I also thought it'd be cool to do something unique case-wise: maybe using thin pine sheets for the front/back cover with clear acrylic in between edge-lit from inside with notification LEDs.  It'd be a literal "pine" phone, and I think could be made to look good and really sell the concept of an end-user customisable smartphone platform.  A custom enclosure also means I can accommodate the larger battery and external antenna connection much easier too.

Regards,
Stuart Longland

First boot - no fan, no display... is it broken?
Posted by: rantoie - 04-27-2021, 03:57 PM - Forum: General Discussion on ROCKPRO64 - Replies (1)

Hi,

I just received my Rockpro64, I plugged the fan in, and then added the SATA adapter and some drives, plugged in the HDMI, made an armbian sdcard according to the instructions, and then plugged in the board with the power supply I ordered from Pine64.

I can hear the drives spin up, I see a little green light, but nothing else. The fan doesn't spin (is it supposed to?) I get nothing on the HDMI display.

What can I do to debug what is going on here?

Thanks!

Performance improvements, discussion
Posted by: Soong - 04-27-2021, 01:47 PM - Forum: General Discussion on PinePhone - Replies (1)

Let me intruduce idea how performance can be increased on the PinePhone.

I know about https://github.com/Frogging-Family
This GitHub contain patches for increase compatibility with games, nvidia drivers, kernel performance and more.
Linux-tkg can use more schedulers (BMQ, MUQSS, PDS, UNDEAD-PDS), but mainline linux have only CFS.

Next useful project is Xanmod https://xanmod.org/
It's something similar like Linux-tkg, but it use different patches.

So i think if we cherry pick right patches from both projects, performance on the PinePhone can be better without affecting battery life or temperature.
In my opinion, following patches is useful for the PinePhone:
1. More schdeulers - people can try, what scheduler bring top performance.
2. Tickless kernel
3. CK's high-resolution kernel timers (hrtimer)
4. Full multi-core block layer runqueue

What do you think guys? Should i write to https://megous.com/git/linux/about/ or do you have more or better idea?

PCIe gen1 timeout - how to debug
Posted by: tosi - 04-27-2021, 12:24 PM - Forum: General Discussion on ROCKPRO64 - Replies (3)

Hi everybody,

-- short version for the impatient :-)

I have 2 questions:
- when does the yellow LED go on/off on the ASM1062 board?
- what is the minimal setup of rockpro64 that should not show "gen1 timeout" errror but some entries in lspci etc?

-- long version

i have bought 

• a rockpro64 2.1 board (builddate 2018-07-02)
  • according 60W power supply
  • nas case
  • asmedia 1062 pcie board
  • 14 TB Toshiba SATA disk
  • 512 MB Sandisk SATA SSD
i have ~5% chance in cold-boot (attaching power-barrel after ~1 h downtime) that uboot and/or linux kernel get the pciE devices to work.
In these cases I see activity on yellow LED mounted on the pcie-board (under the sata-ports). The activity starts early in the boot process

However, most of the time both u-boot as well the kernel complain:

rockchip_pcie pcie@f8000000: PCIe link training gen1 timeout!

resulting in no pci / SATA devices were found/listened.
I am now trying to get to the bottom of this and how to prevent it.
I have read many differrent advices (e.g. increasing timeouts.) in this forum and similar places. However neither the root-cause of this error nor  minimum setup is that should work is clear to me.

I have tried several combinations, including but not limited to:
- board w/o sata card
- board w sata-card, but no disks, 1 disk, both disk..
- board with sata card and power, but no sata cable
- board with sata card and cables.

with all of these combinations i can 
  • see the gen1 timeout on u-boot. 
  • When starting u-boot and issuing the

pci

command, i usually get "No such Bus" back.
I tried all different sort of U-Boot at the moment working on a self-compiled u-boot master (SPL 2021.07-rc1-dirty). 
Also trying to relax the timeout leading to the gen1 error message from 500 msec up to 25 sec didn't solve the problem yet.

I suspect there is either a timing and/or powering issue on the board. but i am a bit clueless how to debug further.

Any help or pointer is highly appreciated.

What comes in the box?
Posted by: naviathan - 04-27-2021, 08:30 AM - Forum: General Discussion on Pinecil - Replies (1)

Does a cable come with the pinecil or do we have to buy the cable separately?

PinePass - Mobile friendly GUI for pass
Posted by: mpnordland - 04-27-2021, 08:29 AM - Forum: PinePhone Software - Replies (2)

Hey Everyone,

I've created a simple GUI to access passwords stored with pass.
Right now, if you already have your pass repository setup on your device,
you can use PinePass to search for passwords and copy them to the clipboard.

Packaging is in a rough state right now, and no launcher entries are added but
you can check it out here: https://github.com/mpnordland/pine_pass

It's still very experimental, so don't @ me if it eats your passwords. (Really don't think that will happen, but still...)

Love to hear feedback/questions.

Micah

Estimated stock
Posted by: dreamer_ - 04-27-2021, 04:14 AM - Forum: General Discussion on Pinebook Pro - Replies (10)

Hi

First I want to apologize if this has been answered.  I have been looking at the website and the forums but I can't seem to find the answer.
It's a while since I'm seeing there's stock for the PBP but with ANSI keyboard. I'd like to buy a new PBP but with ISO layout.

Do we have an estimated date for stock of the PBP but with the ISO keyboard?

Thanks

Newbie - Arch Linux - Carrier Info - Thoughts
Posted by: mikehenson - 04-26-2021, 09:36 PM - Forum: General Discussion on PinePhone - Replies (6)

I got my PinePhone a few days ago. I wanted to document my thoughts and findings. I am a huge Arch Linux fan. So, I went with Arch Linux on the PinePhone.

Installing Arch Linux
I used Jumpdrive to expose the eMMC and flashed the latest Arch release. Thank you @Danct12
I then used ssh to log into my phone and updated everything to the latest releases.

Code:
sudo pacman -Syyu

Carrier Info (I will add this to the wiki once I can create an account)
I already had a phone using FaithWireless (An AT&T virtual carrier) and just moved over the SIM.
Calls and Text messages worked without doing anything.
I am hopeful that FaithWireless (AT&T) will allow the phone to stay on the carrier in Feb 2022
  • I was told, if you make a phone call and the phone drops to 3G during the call, it will be removed because it is doing Vo3G not VoLTE. The PinePhone stayed at 4G during phone calls. 
4G (data) I had to set the wireless settings to: link
Code:
Name NXTGENPHONE
APN NXTGENPHONE

The PROS
  1. Flashing the OS was easy
  2. Connecting to Wifi was easy
  3. Maps and GPS worked
  4. Camera worked
  5. I can add software with "sudo pacman -S pcmanfm"
  6. I can update the whole phone with "sudo pacman -Syyu"
  7. Syncthing is in the repositories and could be launched via terminal
  8. Geary works well with gmail
  9. Gnome-Calendar work well with google calendar
Wish List
  1. squeekboard - to have swype/swipe
  2. squeekboard - to have suggested words pop up (spellchecker)
  3. Geary - to have some swipe options
  4. Gnome-Calendar - to have some swipe options 
  5. Display size to have a 150% option
  6. Brave Browser to added to the repositories

Getting Frustrated
Posted by: cybercrypt13 - 04-26-2021, 08:07 PM - Forum: PinePhone Hardware - Replies (7)

I received my phone over a month ago and on day 2 I removed my Verizon card in order to install my Sprint card.  The cheap plastic part that wraps around the card grabbed the tiny pins that stick up and broke one of them off.  I contacted the guys at pinephone and they informed me I needed to remove the card and send to California which I did that day.

After over a month I finally received a new motherboard for the phone and was excited to finally get it going again.  However, the board is totally dead and after trying to contact them through email they told me to come here and post to see if anyone has any ideas.  I get no lights or any other sign the board is even working at all.  The power cable is working on Android phone so would assume it should be fine on this phone and it was working fine a month ago when I was using it.

I was originally excited about being able to work on my own phone again but am starting to think I've just wasted my time and money.  Anyone have any ideas of what I can try here?

Thanks,

Glenn

No shortcuts on homescreen after installing packages
Posted by: jojuma - 04-26-2021, 04:08 PM - Forum: PostmarketOS on PinePhone - No Replies

Hello,

as the title says, I get no shortcuts on my homescreen after installing packages via 

Code:
sudo apk add <package>

E.g. in "Software" -> "Installed" the Image Viewer is listed. There's no shortcut either, though preinstalled. If I click on "Launch", nothing happens. But I can launch it from the terminal.
To maybe get a shortcut for the Image Viewer, I uninstalled and reinstalled it. By installing a package, a shortcut should be set, but again, there's none.
Same for each package I try to install. What am I doing wrong here?

Thanks!