What do you use for voice chat on Mobian?
My phones motherboard just stopped working so I am now forced to use the PP as a daily driver. It's been alright so far but the microphone on the phone is super staticy and it won't work with my bluetooth headset. I can listen to music but can't talk over the phone. I can't get discord on the phone and Axolotl doesn't do phone calls so what other options are there?
telegram(-desktop) works pretty reliably for me with voice calls. Haven't bothered to sort the default linux/pinephone camera bits to try get video calls working but pretty sure it can be done.
  • ROCKPro64 v2.1 2GB, 16Gb eMMC for rootfs, SX8200Pro 512GB NVMe for /home, HDMI video & sound, Bluetooth keyboard & mouse. Arch (6.2 kernel, Openbox desktop) for general purpose daily PC.
  • PinePhone Pro Explorer Edition, daily driver, rk2aw & U-boot on SPI, Arch/SXMO & Arch/phosh on eMMC
  • PinePhone BraveHeart now v1.2b 3/32Gb, Tow-boot with Arch/SXMO on eMMC
(07-25-2021, 03:37 AM)dukla2000 Wrote: telegram(-desktop) works pretty reliably for me with voice calls. Haven't bothered to sort the default linux/pinephone camera bits to try get video calls working but pretty sure it can be done.
I swear I tried telegram at least 5 times and never got past the screen asking for my number. It got me past that point just now launching it from the command line. Do you have to launch it from the command line as well?

Also, it got to the point where it said it sent me a text with a code but 5 minutes later I haven't gotten it. Is did this happened to you?
(07-25-2021, 09:34 AM)ragreenburg Wrote:
(07-25-2021, 03:37 AM)dukla2000 Wrote: telegram(-desktop) works pretty reliably for me with voice calls. Haven't bothered to sort the default linux/pinephone camera bits to try get video calls working but pretty sure it can be done.
I swear I tried telegram at least 5 times and never got past the screen asking for my number. It got me past that point just now launching it from the command line. Do you have to launch it from the command line as well?

Also, it got to the point where it said it sent me a text with a code but 5 minutes later I haven't gotten it. Is did this happened to you?

The registration is variable between slow and extremely slow. 10 minutes is quite possible. Just keep trying/waiting.
For me it starts fine from the (desktop) icon.
  • ROCKPro64 v2.1 2GB, 16Gb eMMC for rootfs, SX8200Pro 512GB NVMe for /home, HDMI video & sound, Bluetooth keyboard & mouse. Arch (6.2 kernel, Openbox desktop) for general purpose daily PC.
  • PinePhone Pro Explorer Edition, daily driver, rk2aw & U-boot on SPI, Arch/SXMO & Arch/phosh on eMMC
  • PinePhone BraveHeart now v1.2b 3/32Gb, Tow-boot with Arch/SXMO on eMMC
(07-25-2021, 06:22 PM)dukla2000 Wrote:

The registration is variable between slow and extremely slow. 10 minutes is quite possible. Just keep trying/waiting.
I eventually never got the text on my phone so I set it up on my tablet and got the text from there then just used the QR scanner for my phone. Thanks for the help though, the quality is much clearer than regular phone calls.

I think it did send a text to my pinephone, but it is an mms. I can see that long string of letters and numbers when I go to the terminal, but it's not decipherable as a code....
(08-03-2021, 03:01 PM)HLing Wrote:

I think it did send a text to my pinephone, but it is an mms. I can see that long string of letters and numbers when I go to the terminal, but it's not decipherable as a code....

I never got mine, even as MMS, but I set it up on a different device and then used that device to set up my PinePhone. After you have a device setup you can just scan the QR code I think.
(08-03-2021, 03:27 PM)ragreenburg Wrote:

I never got mine, even as MMS, but I set it up on a different device and then used that device to set up my PinePhone. After you have a device setup you can just scan the QR code I thin

I installed it on my GPD MicroPC. There was a QR code that I tried to use the Pinephone's Megapixel to scan.  a blue outline appeared around the QR image.  I pressed the button to take the picture. Nothing happened except that I have a picture of the QR code......Sad
(08-05-2021, 05:46 PM)HLing Wrote:
(07-25-2021, 09:34 AM)ragreenburg Wrote: I swear I tried telegram at least 5 times and never got past the screen asking for my number. It got me past that point just now launching it from the command line. Do you have to launch it from the command line as well?

I never got mine, even as MMS, but I set it up on a different device and then used that device to set up my PinePhone. After you have a device setup you can just scan the QR code I thin

I installed it on my GPD MicroPC. There was a QR code that I tried to use the Pinephone's Megapixel to scan.  a blue outline appeared around the QR image.  I pressed the button to take the picture. Nothing happened except that I have a picture of the QR code......Sad
I believe you are supposed to scan it the other way around if I remember correctly. I pulled up the QR code on my phone and scanned it with my tablet and that worked. Or I could be misremembering.
(08-06-2021, 03:10 PM)ragreenburg Wrote:
(08-05-2021, 05:46 PM)HLing Wrote:
(07-25-2021, 06:22 PM)dukla2000 Wrote: The registration is variable between slow and extremely slow. 10 minutes is quite possible. Just keep trying/waiting.

I believe you are supposed to scan it the other way around if I remember correctly. I pulled up the QR code on my phone and scanned it with my tablet and that worked. Or I could be misremembering.
Ah, so that assumes you have a camera on your tablet then?  I don't have one on the MicroPC, but I do have one on the P2Max.  It didn't work either. I did try to scan with my phone again, and this time there was an option to go to the URL. I chose it (on the megapixel screen) but nothing happened. My version of the Telegram-desktop doesn't have Setting - Device - ....so I think it's just an endless loop of no account.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  cant verify mobian image at website gnugpg penguins_rule 0 5 4 hours ago
Last Post: penguins_rule
  bookworm vs trixie discussion for mobian in pinephone regular. zetabeta 14 1,346 03-14-2024, 10:12 AM
Last Post: Faded
  mobian installed to eMMC - how to install tow-boot grump_fiddle_reinstall 6 1,610 11-22-2023, 11:46 AM
Last Post: aLoop100o
  What actions needed to keep on mobian testing user641 3 1,633 09-05-2023, 06:44 AM
Last Post: Zebulon Walton
  Mobian boot failed with zstd message after upgrade. Mahgue 0 569 09-01-2023, 11:29 AM
Last Post: Mahgue
  how to update mobian over tor vusra 13 6,471 07-09-2023, 08:57 PM
Last Post: vusra
  opensnitch outbound firewall now works on mobian vusra 2 1,791 07-09-2023, 01:37 AM
  Using Nativefier on PP64 with Mobian paulcarton 0 568 07-05-2023, 03:57 AM
Last Post: paulcarton
  Has anyone got briar-desktop running on mobian? vusra 5 2,826 06-19-2023, 03:02 PM
  Delta Chat / text invisible chris_02 0 561 04-13-2023, 10:12 AM
Last Post: chris_02