Proximity sensor dims screen
Hello Forum,

I had to change my screen and apparently lost the approximity sensor. Simultaneously I fired up Mobian on the internal storage.
When booting into it, the screen dims down after a couple seconds.

I would like to keep Mobian and found out that I have to disable the proximity sensor in the config files. Problem: I don't know how I can gain root access to the mounted phones storage (under Ubuntu).

Alternatively, I could also reinstall mobian having the proximity sensor disabled before. Unfortunately I also don't know how to do that.

If this is not mobian-specific enough, please let me know and I will delete the thread. Anyway, I would be very glad for any hint to solve this problem.
Thank you in advance
(07-24-2021, 10:51 AM)doidolinux Wrote: Hello Forum,

I had to change my screen and apparently lost the approximity sensor. Simultaneously I fired up Mobian on the internal storage.
When booting into it, the screen dims down after a couple seconds.

I would like to keep Mobian and found out that I have to disable the proximity sensor in the config files. Problem: I don't know how I can gain root access to the mounted phones storage (under Ubuntu).

Alternatively, I could also reinstall mobian having the proximity sensor disabled before. Unfortunately I also don't know how to do that.

If this is not mobian-specific enough, please let me know and I will delete the thread. Anyway, I would be very glad for any hint to solve this problem.
Thank you in advance

The best way to gain root access to the filesystem is to use ssh. This would allow you to use your desktop to access the phone's filesystem. You can also access the filesystem from a terminal app on your phone, using sudo to get root privileges.

If your not familiar with running ssh the Pine Wiki can help:

https://wiki.pine64.org/wiki/Guide:Conne...e_with_SSH
Replacement screens don't come with the rubber shroud that covers the sensor. If it is automatically dimming all the time, it is because the sensor is seeing it's reflection from the glass. Look for the little black rubber boot on your old screen and transfer it to your new screen.
Henry, Unfortunately, I cannot connect via ssh - it has been a fresh install and wireless could not be set up yet.

8bit, I must have lost it when I disassembled it (some time ago).
You can take it apart and cover the sensor with a tiny piece of black electrical tape. It is an infrared emitter/receiver pair. Just need to block the reflection from the glass bouncing back.
(07-24-2021, 12:37 PM)doidolinux Wrote: Henry, Unfortunately, I cannot connect via ssh - it has been a fresh install and wireless could not be set up yet.

8bit, I must have lost it when I disassembled it (some time ago).

PM me your shipping address, I will send one rubber gasket to you using normal mail.
@tllim 

Thanks! I just sent a pm.

This is then solved, although changing the config settings (disabling the prox. sensor) without any access (no wifi nor eth = no ssh, basically just usb mount) would have interested me as a beginner.
However, I am impressed by the pragmatic effort taken by Pine.

Thanks
(08-08-2021, 03:14 AM)doidolinux Wrote: @tllim 

This is then solved, although changing the config settings (disabling the prox. sensor) without any access (no wifi nor eth = no ssh, basically just usb mount) would have interested me as a beginner.

Thanks

If you installed the OS in the internal storage, you could use Jumpdrive to mount your phone's storage on your computer. If the OS is on an SD card, it's as easy as sticking your SD card in your card reader. Then you will have access to your phone's root partition (and everything else) and you can edit whatever you want. Files owned by root on your phone can be edited just like files owned by root on your computer (i. e. use sudo).
(08-08-2021, 03:14 AM)doidolinux Wrote: @tllim 

Thanks

Just send out today using regular mail from California.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Screen auto-rotation sensitivity mdk 0 203 12-26-2023, 06:08 AM
Last Post: mdk
  Screen stay black unless power key pressed short freelectro 0 591 06-24-2023, 01:55 PM
Last Post: freelectro
  Unsuspend → Black screen mdk 15 4,744 06-22-2023, 11:20 AM
Last Post: Melechtna
  Lock screen question: always squeekboard tuxcall 1 1,141 02-02-2023, 08:51 PM
Last Post: Haibara23
  [solved] Black screen at boot time mdk 0 951 01-13-2023, 03:33 AM
Last Post: mdk
  how to split screen? andrew907 2 1,404 08-08-2022, 09:38 AM
Last Post: andrew907
  Proximity sensor is oversensitive (was "Screen blanks when making call") treebeard 5 2,636 08-02-2022, 03:16 PM
Last Post: treebeard
  on screen keyboard woes vusra 1 1,173 07-18-2022, 03:29 AM
Last Post: vusra
  Giving certain audio apps priority on the lock screen and pulldown 3x5co 0 800 07-17-2022, 10:34 AM
Last Post: 3x5co
  Won't boot, black screen mdk 4 2,571 07-03-2022, 06:38 PM
Last Post: Chief