Frame Buffer GUI - Proof of Concept
Here we compile and run the LVGL library demos on Arch Linux Barebone to show that we can create useful graphics through the Frame Buffer.

https://lvgl.io/

1) Install the basic dependencies for program development
------------------------------------------------------------
`sudo pacman -Syu base-devel`

2) Clone the relevant repositories
`git clone --recursive https://github.com/lvgl/lv_port_linux_frame_buffer`

3) Adjust to Pinephone's screen resolution
Edit the file "main.c" in "lv_port_linux_frame_buffer" and change Line 31 from 800 to 720 and Line 32 from 480 to 1440,

disp_drv.hor_res    = 720;
disp_drv.ver_res    = 1440;

4) Enable Touchscreen
We use the "evdev" event driver, the raw data from the touchscreen for Arch Barebone are output at "/dev/input/event1", the rest of the events in the folder are the the physical buttons and the sense of USB, headphone and vibration.

We need to edit 2 files, "lv_drv_conf.h" and "main.c"

-------- lv_drv_conf.h ----------

Line 389 should be changed to

# define USE_EVDEV 1

Line 397 should be changed to

# define EVDEV_NAME "/dev/input/event1"

--------- main.c -----------

At the beginning of the file we should include the header

#include "lv_drivers/indev/evdev.h"

Right before Line 36 where we call the demo function we should initialise the touchscreen by adding the following code

/* enable event input*/
evdev_init();

/* enable touchscreen*/
lv_indev_drv_t indev_drv;
lv_indev_drv_init(&indev_drv);
indev_drv.type = LV_INDEV_TYPE_POINTER;
indev_drv.read_cb = evdev_read;
lv_indev_drv_register(&indev_drv);

5) Compile by running `make` in "lv_port_linux_frame_buffer"
The command will generate an executable named "demo". If you want to change something and recompile then first remove all the object files of the edited files and the "demo" and `make` again.

`rm [edited-files].o`
`rm demo`
`make`

6) Run the program on Arch Linux Barebone
`./demo`

7) Exit the program pressing CTRL+C

Note :
------------

By default the code runs the `lv_demo_widgets` demo, you can test the rest of the 5 demos by changing line 36 in "main.c" to one of the following choices

lv_demo_widgets();
lv_demo_music();
lv_demo_keypad_encoder();
lv_demo_benchmark();
lv_demo_stress();

then remove "main.o" and "demo" and `make`

`rm main.o`
`rm demo`
`make`
This is very interesting, have you done any testing yet?
What are the good points? what are the bad ones? how big are the applications? How easy is it to develop? and so on...
For example in the case of my simple test application the ram used is about 35mb that for my opinion is not a lot (but it's also true that it does almost nothing).

I have a doubt, but if you write directly in the framebuffer, is there or not the management of a window? Because if there is not in practice you write on top of everything, you could not even use the integrated keyboard.
the initial idea was to make an interface for calls and SMS in order to completely suspend the complicated GUIs of the distros when leaving home where you want stability(not missing calls) and energy saving, and a virtual keyboard for the terminal to be able to execute commands

the specific executable is a window manager and an application in the same time, imagine that Gnome uses 1GB of RAM just for sitting idle, the 35MB come from the included files, the approach is up to the developer, whether you want a separate window manager or you give the frame buffer to the application

the Weston compositor was able to use the framebuffer but now is being deprecated and you prefer DRM/KMS

many applications like mpv have being developed in order to be able to use the framebuffer

you could avoid the LVGL and write your own libraries from scratch, you just write pixels to the memory

I would develop a very dense GUI being able to make calls and run an instance of firefox, these are the basic things you need when leaving the house, from there on anyone could fork the project and customise it

now I am studying Weston, I don't promise anything, it is just a research project for me like the whole Linux experience since 1996 that I got aware of its existence
https://lupyuen.github.io/pinetime-rust-...es/wayland