Welcome, Guest
You have to register before you can post on our site.

Username

Password

(Advanced Search)

Forum Statistics
» Members: 28,116
» Latest member: doddsy
» Forum threads: 15,684
» Forum posts: 114,562

Full Statistics

Latest Threads
Automatic screen rotation
Forum: PineTab Software
Last Post: frtodd
1 hour ago
» Replies: 16
» Views: 4,747
bookworm vs trixie discus...
Forum: Mobian on PinePhone
Last Post: anonymous
6 hours ago
» Replies: 21
» Views: 2,163
cable modem open source
Forum: General
Last Post: Pavlos1
10 hours ago
» Replies: 3
» Views: 72
bookworm vs trixie discus...
Forum: PinePhone Pro Software
Last Post: diederik
Today, 01:52 AM
» Replies: 16
» Views: 1,959
Firefox does not work on ...
Forum: PostmarketOS on PinePhone
Last Post: joe1
Yesterday, 08:12 PM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 16
emmc speed via usb?
Forum: PinePhone Hardware
Last Post: joe1
Yesterday, 08:07 PM
» Views: 21
Pinephone pro replacement...
Forum: General Discussion of PinePhone Pro
Last Post: Linuxuser3
Yesterday, 05:42 AM
» Views: 37
cable modem open source
Forum: General
Last Post: aular
04-26-2024, 09:22 PM
» Views: 39
Waydroid install instruct...
Forum: Mobian on PinePhone
Last Post: zetabeta
04-26-2024, 04:56 PM
» Replies: 1
» Views: 57
Power off error message
Forum: PineTab Software
Last Post: moobythegoldensock
04-26-2024, 10:18 AM
» Replies: 1
» Views: 90

Will the Pinephone work with Vodafone in Romania?
Posted by: MirceaKitsune - 05-26-2021, 07:23 PM - Forum: General Discussion on PinePhone - Replies (2)

I’m planning to order a Pinephone Beta soon (150$ version). In my case I live in Romania and my cellphone provider is Vodafone. I can't quite remember or tell if it's a sim card or microsim, hopefully I'll fine either way? I wanted to be sure others with this provider can confirm everything works fine... by everything meaning at least calls, SMS, and 3G / 4G internet (I don't use MMS). So to EU users of the Pinephone, what's your experience with Vodafone SIM cards?

Video Questions about filming video with the Pinephone
Posted by: MirceaKitsune - 05-26-2021, 07:10 PM - Forum: PinePhone Hardware - Replies (10)

Hello and greetings! I'm planning to order a Pinephone Beta soon (150$ version) ideally next month if money allows. I use Manjaro Linux on my desktop and having a phone with it too will be a dream come true. I'm looking to know a few things first however.

On this one I've been trying to find an answer for ages but no amount of online searching helped. One thing I wish to know first relates to the camera: I see in the specs that it's 5MP for back and 2MB for front, but can find absolutely no information on how it films video! More specifically I wish to know the following:

1. First and foremost, what resolution and frame rate is video shot at? I need to be able to record in at least 1080p @ 30 FPS, the abilities of my current phone (an ancient Samsung Galaxy S3). I'm actually hoping filming at 60 FPS is going to become possible for me after this upgrade, but can take 30 as long as the resolution is 1920x1080 and not less.
  2. Is the video format mp4? Asking as I remember old phones had weird ones (such as 3gp) which some applications couldn't even play properly. That was very long ago however.
  3. This one's less important but still good to know: Can you use the flash while filming for shooting night time video? On that matter, is there a night setting to make video shot in darkness brighter at the cost of extra blur, so even if it's blurry you can at least see something?

Can i install 16 different distros apart from the default manjaro?
Posted by: temp0rary - 05-26-2021, 06:21 PM - Forum: Manjaro on PinePhone - Replies (4)

I read somewhere that you could flash an sd card with like 16 distros if you wanted.. And have the ability to choose between those and test stuff out. Is that the case?
Or would i have to remove the default OS? This one: https://xnux.eu/p-boot-demo/

No sound on edge posh since an update 2 days ago ?
Posted by: winktheman - 05-26-2021, 01:41 PM - Forum: PostmarketOS on PinePhone - Replies (2)

Hi,
has anyone experienced loss of sound output devices since an update (possible pipewire) 2 days ago ?
I re-flashed last edge posh installer and sound worked as before.
After reinstalling all updates sound output devices was gone again.

As i didn't find any clues in the forums and on the pmos matrix channel i'd thought i ask here if this is only me or it's a known problem.

Seeing no WWAN adapter or No SIM
Posted by: jcun4128 - 05-26-2021, 12:53 PM - Forum: PinePhone Hardware - Replies (2)

This worked a few weeks ago. I have a KDE Pinephone that is now running Mobian and Phosh.
I have T-mobile sim card and I have used it before to make calls/send some text messages.
Now it will not work...

I have tried toggling the physical switch for the modem, ran a modem reset command, some other command systemctl eg5-....

Still nothing with the modem. Not sure what's wrong.

The phone is fully charged now but it has drained before.

Any thoughts/things I can try?

I don't know if it's a software or hardware problem.

My sim card is a nano type but it came wrapped in a regular sized sim adapter/I haven't punched it out/how I used it before when it was working.

WiFi and Bluetooth are both working normally as far as I'm aware, haven't done anything physical to the phone i.e. it just sits on my desk.

Black Screen on PinePhone with Manjaro
Posted by: Juron - 05-26-2021, 12:51 PM - Forum: Manjaro on PinePhone - Replies (5)

Hi forum.

I just received a new PINE64 Beta. Manjaro pre-installed. After a little playing, like installing ssh, x2goserver, upgrading and rebooting, the screen turned black. The K-logo can be seen. And sometimes the screen lights up and then turn black again. I rebooted several times. No change. I can SSH into it. What do I have to do to solve this?

Thanks in advance,
J.

How do you install VPN so you can set up a config file, tor, signal and disk encrypt?
Posted by: temp0rary - 05-26-2021, 08:04 AM - Forum: Manjaro on PinePhone - Replies (5)

How do someone set up a VPN, tor and signal on a pinephone? And while i'm asking. How do you fully encrypt a pinephone? Good features to have on a phone focused on privacy. One option while getting a new pinephone should be the option to encrypt it at boot in my opinion.

Replacing the camera?
Posted by: lfourquaux - 05-26-2021, 06:58 AM - Forum: Pinebook Pro Hardware and Accessories - Replies (1)

I discovered a few days ago that the built-in camera in my pinebook pro is not working.  I'm not sure for how long this has been going on, since I never actually tried before.

Since lsusb does not see it, I guess this cannot be a software problem:

Code:
$ lsusb
Bus 004 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0003 Linux Foundation 3.0 root hub
Bus 003 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0003 Linux Foundation 3.0 root hub
Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
Bus 008 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
Bus 006 Device 002: ID 05e3:0608 Genesys Logic, Inc. Hub
Bus 006 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
Bus 007 Device 002: ID 258a:001e HAILUCK CO.,LTD USB KEYBOARD
Bus 007 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
Bus 005 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub

I also noted that the platic hook immediately to the left of the camera seems unhooked, and pressing slightly seems ineffective, as if something inside were just a bit too large to fit (or the hook is a bit broken).  While this is very slight, it might be another clue pointing to a hardware problem.  (Broken camera board inside? or badly plugged in?)

I'm aware of the privacy switches and tried toggling them.  No /dev/videoN appear, whether the leds blink 2 or 3 times.  I did not change the keyboard firmware.

Looking for camera problem using Google (answers mostly in this forum), it looks like this is not an uncommon problem, but solutions mostly involved replacing the top panel of the pinebook pro.  With the current penury of LCD panels, this is not a workable solution.

Thus, my question: how hard would it be to replace the camera?

Breaking this down into subquestions:
 * How hard is it to open the top panel without breaking it, for someone careful but inexperienced in hardware teardowns?
 * Any good teardown guide for the top panel that you would recommend?
 * What should I be careful of if I attempt this?
 * how is the camera connected?
 * What are the requirements for a replacement camera? (size, connectors)
 * Where would you buy a replacement camera (same model or better, compatible, camera)?

Thanks for any hint!

Screen off = dead phone (Generalized)
Posted by: User 22437 - 05-26-2021, 03:26 AM - Forum: PinePhone Hardware - No Replies

My device is a PinePhone Beta Edition. On every distro I tried, whenever I turn the screen off, it will not wake up again (the screen flickers and then goes permanently black), and I have to hold the power button for 10 seconds and boot it back up again.

Below is the list of distros I tried:

- ArchLinuxARM/Phosh, with DRAM underclocked
- Manjaro/Plasma Mobile
- Manjaro/Phosh
- Mobian/Phosh
- Ubuntu Touch/Lomiri, channel KernelUpgrade

So the problem seems hardware-related.

Also, when the power key was pressed, journalctl reports "unable to get EDID for xrandr-DSI-1: unable to get EDID for output" on Phosh, but nothing on Plasma Mobile.

Is this a known issue? Is there a workaround?

Thanks!

Matrix as bridge hub for chats
Posted by: azymohliad - 05-26-2021, 02:46 AM - Forum: Community and Events - No Replies

Hey! With the current way the chats are bridged across different platforms, I find it difficult to visually distinguish messages from people on other platforms, because they all come from Pine64 Protocol Bot, with the same username and avatar (though the reference to C3PO is amusing <3).

I'm far not an expert in the topic, but as I know Matrix bridges can provide much better integration, passing actual usernames and avatars accross the bridge. There are bridges for many platforms, including discord, telegram and IRC: https://matrix.org/bridges. Most of them can be self-hosted or use third-party hosting, such as https://t2bot.io/.

So maybe we could try to bridge Pine64 chats around Matrix? We could try it first with just one chat channel, maybe #offtopic, or create a test one, and see how it goes?

I'm almost sure someone brought it up before and won't be surprised if there are good reasons not to do this, and if so I'm sorry for making another thread, but I searched the forum for around 10 minutes and couldn't find anything related.