display blinks on and off when not on charger
Sad 
My pinephone came today nice. After unpacking and reading the read me first I opened the back removed the plastic battery tab etc. 
After booting I thought I was going blind, the display was so dark it was almost impossible to read. After about 15 minutes of setting up an account, wifi etc in the dark. and searching through an almost unreadable menu to find the brightness control I could see what was on the display.
There was a notice that there were updates; but the phone wouldn’t up date.I installed an app that I use often; but couldn’t log in because the virtual keyboard would not appear.
The battery indicator showed around 70% so I connected it to a charger I use for my other cell phone. After a couple of hours the indicator showed the battery was at 80%. Then I unplugged it the display started blinking on and off. I did manage to put my pin in that didn’t stop the blinking. If I plugged it back into the charger the display would remain on for 10 – 20 seconds then go dark. I have to put the pin in again, even though the energy setting for screen lock and turn off screen are never.

When I unplug the charger there is a sound and then the clock screen I have to put my pin in, then in 5 or so seconds I have to put the pin in again>

There is definitely something wrong with this phone. How do I ship it back for a refund.???
This sounds like a bad first impression. But before you blame it on the hardware, make sure this is not software related (which I believe it is; also remember Pine64 doesn't provide the software, this is all done by the community). Development is fast and your phone most likely came with a by now outdated OS version. It is unfortunate that bugs may keep you from upgrading properly, but luckily it's very easy to flash a new OS to the phone or use microSD cards with different operating systems. I suggest you try different current OSs on an SD card to see how they work (since your phone came with Manjaro Plasma you would probably want to try its newest version, as for another OS Mobian Phosh is known to work quite well) and then flash whatever you like best to the internal memory if you want a little better performance (you could also just keep on using an OS from the SD card). You can find installation instructions on the wiki.
(09-03-2021, 08:45 PM)kqlnut Wrote: This sounds like a bad first impression. But before you blame it on the hardware, make sure this is not software related (which I believe it is; also remember Pine64 doesn't provide the software, this is all done by the community). Development is fast and your phone most likely came with a by now outdated OS version. It is unfortunate that bugs may keep you from upgrading properly, but luckily it's very easy to flash a new OS to the phone or use microSD cards with different operating systems. I suggest you try different current OSs on an SD card to see how they work (since your phone came with Manjaro Plasma you would probably want to try its newest version, as for another OS Mobian Phosh is known to work quite well) and then flash whatever you like best to the internal memory if you want a little better performance (you could also just keep on using an OS from the SD card). You can find installation instructions on the wiki.
Thanks for the reply.
It is not really the best first impression. Smile
The phone was functional until I tried to charge the battery, which was down around 70% so I decided to do that while I went for a walk. When I got back about an hour later the charge was 80% and these issues started. I put the phone back on the charge and left it over night it showed a charge of 83%. This morning This morning when I tried it all that would come up was the PIN screen then it would show the time. If I touched the screen the PIN screen would come up again. It stays in this loop.

I'll read up on how to flash another OS. I would feel much more comfortable with a Debian base OS or OSAP than Manjaro. Never used it or had a reason to.
The phone has been off the charger and sleeping for about 12 hours and the battery indicates a 15% charge left.
(09-04-2021, 06:19 PM)jpaulbiss Wrote:
(09-03-2021, 08:45 PM)kqlnut Wrote: This sounds like a bad first impression. But before you blame it on the hardware, make sure this is not software related (which I believe it is; also remember Pine64 doesn't provide the software, this is all done by the community). Development is fast and your phone most likely came with a by now outdated OS version. It is unfortunate that bugs may keep you from upgrading properly, but luckily it's very easy to flash a new OS to the phone or use microSD cards with different operating systems. I suggest you try different current OSs on an SD card to see how they work (since your phone came with Manjaro Plasma you would probably want to try its newest version, as for another OS Mobian Phosh is known to work quite well) and then flash whatever you like best to the internal memory if you want a little better performance (you could also just keep on using an OS from the SD card). You can find installation instructions on the wiki.
Thanks for the reply.
The phone was functional until I tried to charge the battery, which was down around 70% so I decided to do that while I went for a walk. When I got back about an hour later the charge was 80% and these issues started. I put the phone back on the charge and left it over night it showed a charge of 83%. This morning This morning when I tried it all that would come up was the PIN screen then it would show the time. If I touched the screen the PIN screen would come up again. It stays in this loop.

I'll read up on how to flash another OS. I would feel much more comfortable with a Debian base OS or OSAP than Manjaro. Never used it or had a reason to.
The phone has been off the charger and sleeping for about 12 hours and the battery indicates a 15% charge left.

(09-05-2021, 03:40 PM)jpaulbiss Wrote:
(09-04-2021, 06:19 PM)jpaulbiss Wrote:
Thanks for the reply.

You were correct; software related. I flashed Mobian to a SD card and it works with out being plugged in. Smile  Now to find an OS that has the apps I use, which isn't many. Signal, Wire, the difficult one to find outside of Android is the ones for online banking.
Thanks
(09-05-2021, 03:40 PM)jpaulbiss Wrote: You were correct; software related. I flashed Mobian to a SD card and it works with out being plugged in. Smile  Now to find an OS that has the apps I use, which isn't many. Signal, Wire, the difficult one to find outside of Android is the ones for online banking.
Thanks

Glad to hear it works! For Signal your best bet is probably Axolotl which has been packaged already for Mobian (not in the repos though I think) and Manjaro/Arch (AUR, repackaged from the Mobian version), although it doesn't work properly at the moment due to changes on Signal's side. Banks use their proprietary apps I guess which will most likely not be available for Linux, but maybe you could get it to work with Anbox.
(09-06-2021, 12:26 AM)kqlnut Wrote:
(09-05-2021, 03:40 PM)jpaulbiss Wrote: You were correct; software related. I flashed Mobian to a SD card and it works with out being plugged in. Smile  Now to find an OS that has the apps I use, which isn't many. Signal, Wire, the difficult one to find outside of Android is the ones for online banking.
Thanks

Glad to hear it works! For Signal your best bet is probably Axolotl which has been packaged already for Mobian (not in the repos though I think) and Manjaro/Arch (AUR, repackaged from the Mobian version), although it doesn't work properly at the moment due to changes on Signal's side. Banks use their proprietary apps I guess which will most likely not be available for Linux, but maybe you could get it to work with Anbox.

Thanks
Mystery solved. Smile
(09-06-2021, 04:03 AM)jpaulbiss Wrote:
Thanks

Thanks
Mystery solved. Smile

Just a follow up... I flashed the latest vers of the OS using jumpstart and  balenaEtcher, the issue dissapeared. updating the software alone has no effect. Thanks everyone for the help and I apologise for being such a grunpy old fart.
(09-18-2021, 06:01 PM)jpaulbiss Wrote:
(09-06-2021, 04:03 AM)jpaulbiss Wrote:
Thanks

Thanks
Mystery solved. Smile

Just a follow up... I flashed the latest vers of the OS using jumpstart and  balenaEtcher, the issue dissapeared. updating the software alone has no effect. Thanks everyone for the help and I apologise for being such a grunpy old fart.

Shortly after my last reply the that phone quit charging all together.
First, contact the store or retailer where you purchased your PinePhone. There should usually be information about their return policy on their website or on your receipt. Provide details about the issues you encountered and how they can help you with your return.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Article] Star64 JH7110: Power Up the Display Controller with U-Boot Bootloader lupyuen 0 660 09-02-2023, 10:13 AM
Last Post: lupyuen
  [Article] RISC-V Star64 JH7110: Inside the Display Controller lupyuen 2 936 08-23-2023, 05:08 PM
  Article: ST7789 Display with LVGL Graphics on Apache NuttX RTOS (PineCone BL602) lupyuen 0 871 03-31-2022, 09:31 PM
  PinePower 65W GaN Charger, bad EU addapter talpa 1 1,695 11-20-2021, 05:21 PM
Last Post: bharwargl
  PinePower 65W GaN Charger, where is the alleged switch? biketool 1 2,032 09-28-2021, 09:46 PM
Last Post: tllim
  How to keep the display of the 120W PinePower turned off? pinepoweruser 4 4,143 08-04-2021, 12:24 AM
Last Post: kqlnut
  Article: PineCone BL602 Talks UART to Grove E-Ink Display lupyuen 0 1,442 02-18-2021, 09:08 PM
  Article: PineCone BL602 Blasting Pixels to ST7789 Display with LVGL Library lupyuen 0 1,418 02-15-2021, 09:03 PM
  IPS Display got daamged mstsdt 1 2,869 06-02-2020, 08:17 PM
Last Post: Dendrocalamus64
Exclamation Idea, smart display, and TV box? mzs.112000 2 3,614 01-06-2020, 05:20 AM
Last Post: Danct12