Welcome, Guest
You have to register before you can post on our site.

Username

Password

(Advanced Search)

Forum Statistics
» Members: 28,507
» Latest member: Breacher
» Forum threads: 15,844
» Forum posts: 115,308

Full Statistics

Latest Threads
How boot Alpine Linux
Forum: General Discussion on PinePhone
Last Post: realroot
5 hours ago
» Replies: 3
» Views: 195
Battery Life- hardware ab...
Forum: PinePhone Hardware
Last Post: Kevin Kofler
6 hours ago
» Replies: 1
» Views: 35
bookworm vs trixie discus...
Forum: Mobian on PinePhone
Last Post: zetabeta
10 hours ago
» Replies: 34
» Views: 6,380
2G, 3G still is in phone.
Forum: General Discussion on PinePhone
Last Post: jennybaso
Yesterday, 03:49 AM
» Replies: 5
» Views: 668
Pinetab 2 Not Powering On...
Forum: General
Last Post: FortranTraffic
09-18-2024, 04:27 PM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 39
Need Help Choosing the Ri...
Forum: General
Last Post: jacoballen
09-18-2024, 06:13 AM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 61
PinePhone Pro EDL boot by...
Forum: PinePhone Pro Hardware
Last Post: biketool
09-18-2024, 04:59 AM
» Replies: 3
» Views: 873
SailfishOS on PT2: flashi...
Forum: PineTab Software
Last Post: schuster2
09-18-2024, 02:44 AM
» Replies: 2
» Views: 617
The program doesn`t detec...
Forum: Mobian on PinePhone
Last Post: Kevin Kofler
09-17-2024, 03:45 PM
» Replies: 6
» Views: 1,157
Danctnix Linux still main...
Forum: General Discussion on PineTab
Last Post: zetabeta
09-17-2024, 12:54 PM
» Replies: 9
» Views: 1,330

Sad Not what I was hoping for, first impression
Posted by: gtpboy - 04-01-2016, 02:52 PM - Forum: Getting Started - No Replies

Got my A64+ 2GB board 2 days ago and so far I'm not that impressed, in fact I actually don't have a usable product right now. My hope with this project was to create a FireTV replacement for our bedroom TV. Right now my FireTV does everything I need it to do. It handles Live TV through the HD Homerun View app and handles all my movies with the Emby app. It also handles all our subscription services like HBO GO, Showtime app and the other various on demand apps. 

I know my hopes were pretty high that a $29 Pine 64 could compete with Amazon's latest offering. But both featured similar quad core CPU's and GPU's, they both offered 2GB onboard memory, both offered gigbit ethernet and both can do 4K & 1080P output. What the heck it's worth a shot. 

Well yesterday I decided to take the plunge and install the Android build first since this would be the obvious intended OS I would be using. Install went fine on my SanDisk Extreme Plus UHS 3 64GB card, inserted it and boom 4 mins later Android was up and running. I played around with the build but it seemed, I don't know, slightly sluggish in appearance and navigation. Button presses seemed slightly delayed and the overall performance seemed sluggish. I though oh well it wasn't that bad, let's try to download some apps and try them out. Fired up Google play and downloaded the HBO GO app. This app did not start off very well, force closed the first 2 times I tried to open it. Once I finally got it open, navigation through this app was painfully slow and glitchy. Once I finally got to a show I wanted to stream I clicked on it and got through the HBO GO splash screen then it hangs for about 15 secs before the stream starts then closes and tells me could not reach the server, please try again later. Ok so I close the program open it back up again and try a different show and episode and same thing, it either tells me "could not play video at this time please try later" or server error.  Strike one. Well, ok so I download the HD Homerun View app, start that up and Video is very choppy and stuttering basically un-watchable, plus navigation through the channel guide was very slow. Strike 2. I was going to try the Emby app but since you have to pay to play videos on every device you install it on I decided to pass and try at a future date. So suffice to say the Android experience was a huge disappointment. 

So today I decided to try the Remix OS build. So I burned that to my Sandisk card and booted it up with only the power and HDMI plugged in for the initial boot. Everything went fine plugged in my mouse and keyboard to complete the sign in, got to the desktop and everything was working. I played around for a few mins with everything then decided to plug the ethernet cable in, 4 secs later it reboots. Ok it gets back to the desktop and I start to explore again then bang reboots again. This time it's just stuck in an endless boot loop all because of the ethernet cable being plugged in. I found a thread that other people were having the same problem with boot loop due to ethernet cable being plugged in. Some were saying it was a Remix OS problem and some were saying it could be a power supply problem but my power supply is a 5V/2A microUSB charger and should work. So I will have to wait until someone clears that up.

So as of right now nothing is really usable for me at the moment. Hopefully the Android and Remix OS builds will get better, I mean I understand most people are just getting their boards so development of the OS builds will take some time and I'm willing to wait it out. Just a little disappointed right now.

4K?
Posted by: jlongman - 04-01-2016, 11:37 AM - Forum: Linux on Pine A64(+) - Replies (9)

Heya, my new pine64 2GB arrived and booted and is stable with Ethernet on Arch Linux (off a powered USB hub). Now I'd just like to get 4K on my el-cheapo Element 4K/30Hz setup.

I've been using OS X and BSD a lot more recently so I'm not as familiar with Linux anymore. I looked for a xorg.conf and didn't find one.

Xdpyinfo is reporting a max resolution of 1920x1080. I will poke around more.

Got mine... can't get any IMG to boot
Posted by: leechyb - 04-01-2016, 10:31 AM - Forum: Getting Started - Replies (3)

I've flashed and hacked so many roms and images over the years but for the life of me I can't get anything to boot....

I get Allwinner 64 Bit boot screen on one img.  The other img I used that was 7gb just boots to a command prompt. 

alarm:
I type in alarm user and alarm boot and nothing. Used root/root, guest/guess. It just comes back to the next line.

I have yet to see a boot to an OS of any kind.... I really want to use these pine64 for an event coming up in June but it doesnt look good.

Not one of these will boot on my pine64 1GB:

sun50iw1p1_android_db_uart0_1000M_0112
sun50iw1p1_android_db1000_uart0_0216
sun50iw1p1_android_r18_uart0_1210
arch-pine64-bspkernel-20160308-1
android_20160112

running 32 bit arm
Posted by: falk.ben@gmail.com - 04-01-2016, 10:31 AM - Forum: Linux on Pine A64(+) - Replies (8)

Can anyone point me in the direction of how to get 32 bit ARM packages running on Arch Linux aarch64?

My understanding is that armv8 (or aarch64) is backwards compatible, but I have no idea how to enable this.

The software I am trying to run is btsync.

It seems possible on Debian, http://forum.odroid.com/viewtopic.php?f=135&t=18806.  In that forum post, all that was needed was libc6 for armhf.  But specifying the desired alternate architecture in Arch linux does not seem to work when trying to install libc6 with either pacman or yaourt:

$ file btsync
btsync: ELF 32-bit LSB executable, ARM, EABI5 version 1 (GNU/Linux), dynamically linked, interpreter /lib/ld-linux.so.3, for GNU/Linux 3.2.0, BuildID[sha1]=c586701ab44d098336c08f952ac7cdf27373a1be, stripped

Which indicates that ld-linux.so.3 is required (which as I understand is in libc6 package on Debian)

But if I try to install libc6 on Arch:

$ yaourt -S --arch arm libc6
error: target not found: libc6

After investigating further, it seems libc6 is actually called glibc in Arch Linux - but I still cannot figure out how to install it for ARM and not aarch64:

$ pacman -S --arch arm glibc
warning: glibc-2.23-1 is up to date -- reinstalling
error: failed to prepare transaction (package architecture is not valid)
:: package glibc-2.23-1-aarch64 does not have a valid architecture

Exclamation Quick Question
Posted by: GoZone - 04-01-2016, 08:34 AM - Forum: Getting Started - No Replies

Does it come with a power switch because I see pictures of them being included and others are not?

Finally
Posted by: GoZone - 04-01-2016, 08:27 AM - Forum: Shipment Related Discussion - No Replies

My PINE64 2GB+ Board is coming today, should have added the wifi mod but still excited!

System LED
Posted by: stephen fleming - 04-01-2016, 07:15 AM - Forum: POT modules - Replies (19)

I am curious about what the purpose of the LED next to the charge LED on the board is. On the pin-out diagram of the expansion connector it is identified as System LED.

Networking trouble
Posted by: s21 - 04-01-2016, 06:36 AM - Forum: General Discussion on PINE A64(+) - Replies (22)

I finally got android to boot it runs OK though the launcher crashes a lot, the major problem is the download speed through the ethernet port, it took an hour to download the youtube app (18mb) from the play store, I have a 75meg connection and all my other devices connected to the router are running fine? Anyone else having this problem? Any ideas?

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

Is android fluid on your pine?
Posted by: lucassou - 04-01-2016, 12:52 AM - Forum: Android on Pine A64(+) - Replies (18)

Hi, i just installed android 5 on a pineA64+ 1GB, and it works but daim it's so slow and not reactive, it freeze every time i try do something it took like 1 minute to open the parameters and then it crashed when i tried to open the "about device"section. I suggest it's the microSD that is daim slow (8MB/s write and 16 Read) but seriously even with a slow sd card it should not be this laggy and unstable, am i the only one?

Ubuntu Desktop Environment image
Posted by: ML-Anderal - 03-31-2016, 11:05 PM - Forum: Ubuntu - Replies (20)

Here is a Google Drive image anyone can download for Ubuntu with desktop environment.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0BwrRh39nVNPsZE1TTjZ2R0ZhZ0U

Software installed:

Ubuntu Software portal
LibreOffice Suite
Gimp
Midori web browser
Geary email
VLC

Plank
and several others.

You can flash this in linux using all the regular methods or you can use Win32 Disk Image software or something simular.

Gparted is installed and allows you to re-size the rootfs partition to the rest of your drive if it is bigger than an 8GB drive. (I will have video on doing this and renaming and changing password for the Admin User.

I have 2 users already on the image

First user has plank installed and looks simular to a Mac or Elementary OS style look. 

Second user is more of a windows base look for desktop. Chose which ever suites you and delete the other.

User Name: Ubuntu
Password: ubuntu

User Name: Ubuntu2
Password: ubuntu2

(edit Updated version coming soon.... Here is some of the things I have fixed and are now working more acceptable. )

https://youtu.be/Bgy8h8ED2VI