Pinebook Boot
Just got my Pinebook Pro. Used it for a while and now won't finish booting in to Monjaro. Just a cursor in the top left. I can ctrl-f4 and it kicks to a command line prompt. Is there a way to just reset the system back to initial factory?

I tried to do a sudo pacman -Syu and chose no for most of the update questions. Any issues with accepting the defaults of this with a new system?
out of curiosity, why did you choose not to update your system? there's enough Manjaro/PBP users that system breaking updates typically get fixed.

they best way to go back to factory fresh would be to rewrite a Manjaro img to the emmc. Check the Manjaro SD-to-eMMC imgs or check the NOOBs page of the wiki for how to easily do that.
(05-05-2021, 09:13 AM)tophneal Wrote: out of curiosity, why did you choose not to update your system? there's enough Manjaro/PBP users that system breaking updates typically get fixed.

they best way to go back to factory fresh would be to rewrite a Manjaro img to the emmc. Check the Manjaro SD-to-eMMC imgs or check the NOOBs page of the wiki for how to easily do that.

It prompted to use library's in different locations and make changes. I usually use Debian and I am familiar with apt-get haven't used pacman in some time. When prompted like this I didn't know if it was a Manjaro update or something specific to the Pinebook setup that would break functionality of the Pinebook. So I chose no when prompted to use alternate library paths.
>It prompted to use library's in different locations and make changes.
I'm guessing you mean different repositories?????
If so, this means no network
Check,,,ip a
Then,,,, nmtui
I really hosed my sd card boot a week ago, had to go thru this and more
Usually pacman -Syu is the main recovery method

[attachment=2328 Wrote:wdt pid='94077' dateline='1620230391']>It prompted to use library's in different locations and make changes.
Check,,,ip a
Then,,,, nmtui

Not different repositories. Image attached.

nmtui worked great. I could activate the network connectivity and ran pacman -Syu. I chose Y for all the suggestions and once complete it still boots and just has a cursor flashing in the upper left. Never gets in to Manjaro.
When I bought my Pinebook Pro it came with an experimental version of Manjaro and required reimaging anyway.
(05-05-2021, 10:33 AM)CharlesBunders Wrote:
(05-05-2021, 09:59 AM)wdt Wrote: >It prompted to use library's in different locations and make changes.
Check,,,ip a
Then,,,, nmtui

Not different repositories. Image attached.

nmtui worked great. I could activate the network connectivity and ran pacman -Syu. I chose Y for all the suggestions and once complete it still boots and just has a cursor flashing in the upper left. Never gets in to Manjaro.
If you can get to a command-line prompt you are getting to Manjaro.  What you are not getting is the desktop environment.  Is this the default Manjaro install, or did you pick an image with a specific desktop?  (I chose XFCE for mine.)
Ancient teacher (Secondary Field Science/Math), Warrior (USARNG- RET SSG), and IT warrior (30+ years Coder, Network/Systems Administrator, general house geek). 
Pinebook Pro user (Debian, Manjaro)
OK, like I said I hosed my boot a week ago, so some suggestions
If anything says missing. a lib or whatever, pacman -S and reinstall
Sometimes hard to find what the package name is (that contains the lib)
pacman -Ss name OR -Qs OR -F
So,,, sudo systemctl stop sddm ; startplasma-x11 ;startplasma-wayland
All the starts probably fail, wayland is likely to tell something missing
(most of these require sudo/root)
pacman -S xfce4-meta ; startxfce4,,,this may well succeed or else say something missing
maybe you will prefer xfce?
maybe pacman -S sddm
---more--
If you used an older manjaro image, almost certainly
you will have to edit extlinux "../" before image, dtb and initrd
Also the fslabel changed, from ROOT-MANJARO to ROOT
This about the time of 1 partition -> 2 partition
But you have a cli boot so not so likely
This might only be slightly related to the topic of this thread.  On June 11, 2020, DHL finally delivered the PBP that I had ordered in late October or early November of 2019.  Initial power-on was uneventful and the passwords were set as suggested.  The PBP was not used, but was fully charged, for about a week then restarted.  This second start resulted in the PBP starting another system update or upgrade to the operating system.  The battery was full, so there was no real problem.  An hour or two later after the update or upgrade finished, the PBP restarted.  No problem.  However, the password I had set the week before was not recognized and there was no clear way to reset either the root or user password.  After several months of trying to turn the PBP back on and start learning how it does (and should) work, near total frustration set in and I attempted to load another version of Linux on it more in the effort to have a laptop that could be used than anything.  Multiple attempts by me with several different distros of Linux later the PBP still would not boot.  I asked a friend that has programming experience if he would like to try and he did.  After almost two weeks, he gave it back to me and said that he was not able to get any OS to load or boot to the internal drive (eMMC) and said that he was at a loss on how to proceed now.  He did say that he was able to look at what is on the internal drive and found fragments of TWO different operating systems.  Neither he nor I know how to proceed from here.  The desired goal would be to be able to have Manjaro loaded and operational on the PBP, but if that is not possible then a recent version of a Debian release could work.  But it almost looks like the laptop might need to be looked at in a shop that has the equipment necessary to completely erase then restore the internal drive to a 'factory new' condition.  I live in the USA and would prefer to send the laptop to a repair shop in the USA rather than have to send it to another country.
Please advise on what steps should be attempted next.
Thank you,
James Good
?????
On Feb 26 you said
>I burned a new download of Manjaro to a micro USB card and put it in the PBP. Powered it on and Manjaro got >installed. Seems to be working as it should.
-----
So, have you killed it again,, OR ????
If you really want to know, a serial connection and the headphone/serial switch flipped,
and, obviously a serial terminal,, maybe putty for win

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Cellular module for Pinebook Pro Lotech 1 239 03-05-2024, 05:40 AM
Last Post: KC9UDX
  Screen on pinebook stays black but can ssh into machine tuxxpine 0 219 02-23-2024, 04:22 PM
Last Post: tuxxpine
  Sale my ANSI PineBook Pro cuthbertdavies 0 201 02-14-2024, 09:12 PM
Last Post: cuthbertdavies
  Compiling with -j6 on the Pinebook Pro (Overheat) KC9UDX 0 141 02-14-2024, 09:01 AM
Last Post: KC9UDX
  Pinebook Pro in EU for Sale - €90 jan_vdk 2 524 02-07-2024, 02:12 AM
Last Post: 23Ro
  Pinebook Pro for sale tomekdev 2 579 02-01-2024, 11:35 AM
Last Post: tomekdev
  uboot wont boot to SD card after upgrade jbradley419 7 546 01-19-2024, 02:29 PM
Last Post: wdt
  Video Flashing/adjusting on boot and reboot jbradley419 0 216 01-16-2024, 09:17 AM
Last Post: jbradley419
  looking to buy one pinebook pro (mainland China) duanduan 2 1,756 01-11-2024, 01:07 AM
Last Post: winecork
  Video Editing Is Possible On The PineBook Pro! ImmyChan 10 7,134 12-17-2023, 09:29 PM
Last Post: insideau786