Hate Manjaro - Easy Ubuntu Install?
Hi,

I'm pretty new to Linux, but I loath Manjaro.

How can I *easily* install Ubuntu as every route seems to lead me to a build script that complains about aarch64 comparability.

I just want to book from a USB image and wipe the eSSD with Ubuntu Arch64 

Help please!!

Cheers,

Paul
1. Download and burn whatever OS you want to boot from SD, flash it to SD, boot from the SD.

2. Grab one of ayufan's Ubuntu images while booted into the SD OS.

3. Verify the eMMC drive designation. Disks should make that nice and easy.

4. In terminal from your SD boot use: pv your-ubuntu-image.img > /dev/mmcblkX

5. Shutdown, pop out the SD, boot up from the eMMC. You should boot into your chosen Ubuntu image.
Many thanks - I'll post back with the steps I took for other newbs! :-)
Many thanks - that finally got me there. For the other newbs to linux....

I used MrFixIt2000's Ubuntu image  

1. Download Ubuntu from here: https://wiki.pine64.org/index.php/Pinebo...an_Desktop
Unzip with 7zip and then use Win32DiskImager to flash it to an 16Mb microSD card - NOTE: USB Stick *won't* work (as I found out after several attempts, and you need >16Gb to download the 2nd image as well! (or have it on a NTFS formatted USB stick seperate tot he microSD card like I did),

2. Once booted, login using "rock" / "rock", plug in the USB stick, and hover over it to get the mount point name

3. Verify the eMMC drive designation by opening a terminal and typing:

Code:
lsblk

The first (large) disk labelled "mmcblk[something]" is what you are looking for.  In my case (and will probably always be the case) it was /dev/mmcblk1

4. In terminal type: 

Code:
sudo dd bs=4M if=/dev/media/rock/xxxxxxxxx/myimage.img of=/dev/mmcblk1 conv=fsync

Wait for it to finish. 

5. Shutdown, pop out the SD, boot up from the eMMC. You should boot into your chosen Ubuntu image.
Why do you hate Manjaro? Just out of interest...
I just feel it's targeted at "proper" *nix users, rather than those Windows users dipping their toes in Linux (like me)
Huh
(06-03-2020, 09:32 AM)PaulMcGuinness Wrote: I just feel it's targeted at "proper" *nix users, rather than those Windows users dipping their toes in Linux  (like me)
(06-03-2020, 09:32 AM)PaulMcGuinness Wrote: I just feel it's targeted at "proper" *nix users, rather than those Windows users dipping their toes in Linux  (like me)
I don't get that...
What a weird prejudice and strong aversion, I found it super easy to get into and everything just works... Any windows user can be productive within a minute without having seen the interface ever before. additional software is easily installed with the conveniently placed package manager, you have a start button with a menu and all your applications, it feels light and spiffy, what else could you need? 

I'm at a loss...
Isn't this rather a Gnome vs KDE feeling ?
Because if a user comes from Windows I don't really see how he/she makes the difference between Ubuntu and Manjaro if it isn't for the DE...
And a lot of newcomers don't realize you can change the DE / WM whatever on linux if you don't like the default (which you aren't used to if you come from Windows).

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Manjaro Sway Theme Broken Eighty8 1 262 03-08-2024, 08:41 AM
Last Post: tophneal
  Attempting to install Void Linux, boots into a black screen 9a3eedi 0 312 02-18-2024, 08:54 AM
Last Post: 9a3eedi
Question Manjaro with Full Disk Encryption and GRUB dumetrulo 1 1,721 02-02-2024, 02:45 AM
Last Post: frankkinney
  Manjaro network problem late 2023 acruhl 1 308 01-19-2024, 11:32 PM
Last Post: Kevin Kofler
  Help installing Manjaro on eMMC of Pinebook Pro pine4546464 4 2,080 12-13-2023, 07:22 PM
Last Post: trillobite
  Need Help Recovering Manjaro /boot Contents on Pinebook Pro calinb 6 2,163 12-11-2023, 03:47 AM
Last Post: calinb
  Manjaro 20.04 not loading from SD (with Manjaro on eMMC) zaius 1 389 12-07-2023, 03:11 PM
Last Post: wdt
  install debian on pbp jsch 7 3,985 11-22-2023, 04:22 PM
Last Post: TRS-80
  Manjaro ARM: enabling external monitors & fixing Broadcom WiFi after updating trifleneurotic 2 860 11-14-2023, 10:57 AM
Last Post: trifleneurotic
  Manjaro [ARM Stable Update] 2021-07-23 issues Bocanila 1 1,998 08-21-2023, 09:10 PM
Last Post: vanessadonald