Pro NVMe adapter Does not fit ! ?
(11-03-2019, 01:02 AM)SwedishChef Wrote: If it is a helpful data point, I ordered the PBP back in late August and the same day placed an order for various accessories, including the "PINEBOOK Pro M.2/NGFF NVMe SSD Interface Adapter."  I received the accessories long ago and set them aside.

I just received my PBP on Nov 1.  Checking here first, I saw this thread before trying to install an SSD and waited.   I checked the packaging thoroughly.  Unless the part was already placed inside the PBP, no replacement items of any kind were included in the package - just the PBP and its power adapter.

Let me know if there's any further useful information I can provide.

The replacement cable for the NVMe adapter is not being included with PBP shipments. If you received one of the bad cables from an August order, you should receive a package with the replacement soon.
Community administrator and sysadmin for PINE64
(Translation: If something breaks on the website, forum, or chat network, I'm a good person to yell at about it)

(11-01-2019, 09:45 AM)Luke Wrote: Someone who got their PBP with adapter now (late Oct/ early Nov), please confirm that it works as intended. Thanks.

Not sure you need another report, but here's mine.

I got my PBP and adapter in the same shipment on October 31. I had to do some careful folding to get the ribbon cable to fit, which I only attempted because I saw (and still see) a similar fold in the picture on the wiki. My setup now looks like the one in that picture, except: no tape securing the fold, different routing of trackpad ribbon cable forcing me to leave off one of the screws, and of course that I actually have an SSD installed in the adapter...

No operating issues with the SSD. No visible bulge, but attempting to physically click the trackpad is extremely difficult on the left side compared to the right. This doesn't bother me since I prefer tap-to-click over a "whole pad click" anyway.
Yep..

Attached Files
.jpg   IMG_20191103_103753_Scaled.jpg (Size: 248.52 KB / Downloads: 487)
(11-03-2019, 10:15 AM)Solra Bizna Wrote:
(11-01-2019, 09:45 AM)Luke Wrote: Someone who got their PBP with adapter now (late Oct/ early Nov), please confirm that it works as intended. Thanks.

I got my PBP and adapter in the same shipment on October 31. I had to do some careful folding to get the ribbon cable to fit, which I only attempted because I saw (and still see) a similar fold in the picture on the wiki. My setup now looks like the one in that picture, except: no tape securing the fold, different routing of trackpad ribbon cable forcing me to leave off one of the screws, and of course that I actually have an SSD installed in the adapter...

No operating issues with the SSD. No visible bulge, but attempting to physically click the trackpad is extremely difficult on the left side compared to the right. This doesn't bother me since I prefer tap-to-click over a "whole pad click" anyway.

I have exactly the same issue.
(11-04-2019, 06:40 PM)cristobalhdez Wrote:
(11-03-2019, 10:15 AM)Solra Bizna Wrote:

I have exactly the same issue.
Hello,

Same problem for me. I hope that the replacement hardware will arrive soon Smile
TWIMC:

Took off 3 cm of the adapter;
    I use a small Toshiba OCZ RC100 M.2 2242 (42 mm) NVMe SSD, 240 GB.
attached the adapter with 1 screw and a piece of double sided self-adhesive tape;
    to fit the cable.

It leaves the touchpad alone, is recognized and works now as rootfs.

rock64@pinebookpro:~$ systemd-analyze
Startup finished in 5.038s (kernel) + 8.031s (userspace) = 13.069s
graphical.target reached after 8.003s in userspace
I just ordered a second PBP and another NVMe adapter as well.  Will this new shipment come with the "new and updated" parts?  

Any update on when the "fixed" parts for the problem adapters will be available?

Any specific NVMe SSD's that are recommended or are known to fit? Or any that are known to NOT fit?

Thanks!
UPDATE :
I received my NVMe adapter back in mid-October,  but as of today November 12, 2019 I have not yet received any update parts ...
 I did receive my PBPro on November 08, 2019.
I did do an inspection of the inside to check for loose parts  before starting my laptop for the first time.
 The PBP is pretty tight spaced inside as it is very thin,  From reading other posts it seems the  'mounting post/nut'  that actually holds the NVMe module to the adapter board is what hits and pushes up on the touch pad.

One person reported he simply taped his module to the adapter instead of using that post/nut to eliminate that conflict.

I have considered a similar idea,  using a thin metal band to wrap around the adapter and NVMe module.

I have also considered trimming the adapter board a bit for some extra clearance in the track pad area.  

It does appear to me that there could also be some space problems if the NVMe module is a thicker one, such as with heat sinks on it.
   ( or double sided compared to single sided)
Currently I am content to get familiar with my new PBP,  and wait for the modified parts kit,
   it does seem like the original cable was a bit short even if there had not been any clearance problems..?

THERE is also the software considerations,  it appears the NVMe/SSD was only planned to be a 'storage' addition,  I think Most of us assumed it would be a better and quicker boot device.. (?)   There has been some limited success at a 'work-around' to get it into the boot process.....

Personally I hope to see a solution of something more direct,  perhaps being able to flash the un-used SPI to facilitate booting directly from the NVMe... (?)
      LINUX = CHOICES
         **BCnAZ**
               Idea
   Donate to $upport
your favorite OS Team
Root on NVMe with boot on eMMC is far from the weirdest boot setup I've used, and is basically just as fast as full NVMe boot would be.
(11-12-2019, 08:39 PM)bcnaz Wrote: One person reported he simply taped his module to the adapter instead of using that post/nut to eliminate that conflict.

I have considered a similar idea,  using a thin metal band to wrap around the adapter and NVMe module.

I have also considered trimming the adapter board a bit for some extra clearance in the track pad area.  

It does appear to me that there could also be some space problems if the NVMe module is a thicker one, such as with heat sinks on it.
   ( or double sided compared to single sided)
Currently I am content to get familiar with my new PBP,  and wait for the modified parts kit,
   it does seem like the original cable was a bit short even if there had not been any clearance problems..?

I posted a tutorial on how I fitted a 2280 NVMe. AFAIK it doesn't introduce any new ideas but it is fairly comprehensive, includes some comments on cable routing and has a picture of the final installation.

See https://forum.pine64.org/showthread.php?tid=8322 .
PineTime: wasp-os and MicroPython, Pinebook Pro:  Debian Bullseye

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New Working nVME gilwood 0 155 02-12-2024, 08:46 AM
Last Post: gilwood
  NVME problems 2022 / Intel 660p 1TB Starbug 1 1,418 04-04-2023, 12:16 PM
Last Post: globaltree
Thumbs Up NVMe adapter, Great addition dachalife 2 1,725 11-28-2022, 12:56 PM
Last Post: dachalife
  NVMe drives not detected mattpenn 12 10,036 03-05-2022, 04:53 AM
Last Post: mattpenn
  NVme intall usage? tkudog 2 2,794 03-04-2022, 01:29 AM
Last Post: Tazdevl
  Anyone selling a spare NVMe adapter in Europe? tom.tomasz 1 1,793 01-03-2022, 07:57 AM
Last Post: tom.tomasz
  NVMe-related crashes and instability, plus a solution simonsouth 13 14,358 12-10-2021, 07:47 PM
Last Post: josmo
  Mini-Howto: ROCK64 USB 3.0 WIFI Adapter (Rabbit-ear) on Manjaro Dendrocalamus64 1 2,316 11-14-2021, 03:41 PM
Last Post: Dendrocalamus64
  NVMe SSD testing methodology halogen 1 2,555 07-22-2021, 05:57 PM
Last Post: calinb
Question Battery stops charging and NVMe and other media disconnect randomly Eey0zu6O 4 4,630 07-09-2021, 08:45 PM
Last Post: moonwalkers