Rockpro64 CPU fan
Hi
I have just fitted a fan to my heatsink.
When I checked the voltage on the connector labelled FAN, there is no voltage.
Currently I am taking the 12 volts from the 4 pin socket behind the power socket.
Should the FAN socket be working?

Thanks
mikeD
(07-11-2018, 01:28 PM)mikeD Wrote: Hi
Currently I am taking the 12 volts from the 4 pin socket behind the power socket.

Thanks
mikeD

There is a 2 Pin 12V fan port at the Pi2 bus. This is a PWM control fan port and speed can be controlled by software.
You also can use the 4pin 12V socket for Fan but this si always on.
OK thats great, and very useful.
Thanks for the information.
(07-14-2018, 01:33 PM)tllim Wrote:
(07-11-2018, 01:28 PM)mikeD Wrote: Hi

Thanks
mikeD

There is a 2 Pin 12V fan port at the Pi2 bus. This is a PWM control fan port and speed can be controlled by software.
You also can use the 4pin 12V socket for Fan but this si always on.

Hi,
I have a couple of extra questions regarding fan control. I feel like I am missing something fairly basic, but I havent been able to find another source for this information.

1. Is there a way to enable the fan pins?
(Pine64 sold a small 12V fan made for the rockpro64 board, but there doesnt seem to be an explanation on how to turn it on or enable the pins.) Could it possibly be part of or an extension of the pi-2 bus?

2. I tried to install fancontrol as part of lm-sensors but lm-sensors returned that there were no sensors installed, which prevented fancontrol or pwmconfig from running. I also installed xsensors, psensor, neither of which were able to locate a temperature sensor either. BUT, 'sensors viewer' is reading something: "ACPI v<Unknown> zones" and displays a thermal_zone0 and thermal_zone1 are showing a realiztic looking 38C ... until you run some cpu tasks -- which you can feel the change in temperature in the mid-profile heatsink just by touching it, yet the value hasn't budged, so I am skeptical that it is actually reading a value. Does this imply that I have a defective sensor, or is is just not enabled.

3. I have been trying to find examples from other pine64 boards to see if I could adapt it, but it appears that no other board had a dedicated 12v 2pin fan port. Perhaps I suck at finding stuff in forums/google. I have seen other examples using the PI-2 Bus itself, but I would prefer to use the pins specifically designated for that purpose.

If you suspect I have missed something, or want any terminal outputs, etc. please let me know.
Thanks,
As of today, if you want to try out the fan then you'll need to update the kernel:
Code:
https://github.com/ayufan-rock64/linux-kernel/releases/tag/4.4.132-1077-rockchip-ayufan

Currently the fan works in an on/off mode (at least for me):
Code:
nano /sys/class/hwmon/hwmon0/pwm1

The range should be from 0 - 255, but for now ... for me ... 0, 1 and 2 are 'off' while 3 and up is 'on'.
You can find me on IRC, Discord and Twitter

(07-30-2018, 09:35 AM)DIDquest Wrote: BUT, 'sensors viewer' is reading something: "ACPI v<Unknown> zones" and displays a thermal_zone0 and thermal_zone1 are showing a realiztic looking 38C ... until you run some cpu tasks -- which you can feel the change in temperature in the mid-profile heatsink just by touching it, yet the value hasn't budged, so I am skeptical that it is actually reading a value. Does this imply that I have a defective sensor, or is is just not enabled.
On 4.4.132-1075-rockchip-ayufan-ga83beded8524 thermal_zone0 seems to report CPU temp fine to me. ran up to 81C in testing which seemed odd (as I was looking for thermal throttling which did not happen) but have since seen (on IRC) it is set at 85C at the moment, likely to drop to 80C in a future release.

thermal_zone1 is harder to guess: at idle is equal to zone0, under load as zone0 climbs it seems to lag about 5C behind but also climbs. Need to see if there is any RK3399 spec of where the sensors actually are.
  • ROCKPro64 v2.1 2GB, 16Gb eMMC for rootfs, SX8200Pro 512GB NVMe for /home, HDMI video & sound, Bluetooth keyboard & mouse. Arch (6.2 kernel, Openbox desktop) for general purpose daily PC.
  • PinePhone Pro Explorer Edition, daily driver, rk2aw & U-boot on SPI, Arch/SXMO & Arch/phosh on eMMC
  • PinePhone BraveHeart now v1.2b 3/32Gb, Tow-boot with Arch/SXMO on eMMC
Try `rock64_diagnostic.sh -m` to display current status of the system.

I will tune the fan controls later to give more fine control. It is all about the duty cycle and period of square wave. We might be looking at 50-200Hz instead of last released 1kHz, and previously 100kHz.
Homepage: https://ayufan.eu

Releases:
Rock/Pro 64/Pinebook Pro: LinuxChromium OS
So/Pine A64/Pinebook: LinuxAndroid 6.0Android 7.1

Buy me a Beer
(07-30-2018, 10:10 AM)Luke Wrote: As of today, if you want to try out the fan then you'll need to update the kernel:
Code:
https://github.com/ayufan-rock64/linux-kernel/releases/tag/4.4.132-1077-rockchip-ayufan

Currently the fan works in an on/off mode (at least for me):
Code:
nano /sys/class/hwmon/hwmon0/pwm1

The range should be from 0 - 255, but for now ... for me ... 0, 1 and 2 are 'off' while 3 and up is 'on'.

Thanks!
This solution works. While it is annoying that you have to manually set it every time, it is very useful for times when you know that you will be doing cpu intensitive tasks.

I must admit the simplicity of the file 'pwm1' was surprising... it is just a single number... not like a rule or something more complex. (insert "the more you know" star animation).
(07-30-2018, 03:46 PM)ayufan Wrote: Try `rock64_diagnostic.sh -m` to display current status of the system.

I will tune the fan controls later to give more fine control. It is all about the duty cycle and period of square wave. We might be looking at 50-200Hz instead of last released 1kHz, and previously 100kHz.

The command on its own when entered into terminal results in "command not found". It seems like a bash file, but when I searched for it: no results. If it is a bash file, where is it located so I can test it?
(07-31-2018, 02:29 PM)DIDquest Wrote: The command on its own when entered into terminal results in "command not found". It seems like a bash file, but when I searched for it: no results. If it is a bash file, where is it located so I can test it?

It is located in /usr/local/sbin/

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Installing Wifi drive for the RockPro64 John45595 0 177 02-10-2024, 11:32 PM
Last Post: John45595
Wink You don't sell case and fan for "ROCKPro64 4GB Single Board Computer"? Clea 1 674 09-17-2023, 12:00 AM
Last Post: tllim
  Want to check maximum toggle speed in Rockpro64 board. kundanjha 0 627 08-14-2023, 07:55 AM
Last Post: kundanjha
  Unable to boot Armbian on new RockPro64 mooseball 5 4,086 07-14-2023, 08:59 AM
Last Post: rockjonn
  Hardware fix for software sound problem on Rockpro64 Ricks Rockpro 0 836 04-06-2023, 03:59 PM
Last Post: Ricks Rockpro
  No sound on Rockpro64 with OpenWrt Patrice 1 1,241 04-06-2023, 02:46 PM
Last Post: Ricks Rockpro
  Cant get rockpro64 working brasilikum 3 1,703 03-19-2023, 06:22 AM
Last Post: runyor
  RockPro64 Stopped working WarpLover 5 2,520 02-06-2023, 10:10 AM
Last Post: diizzy
Lightbulb ROCKPro64 + SSD case model for 3D print Spater 0 959 01-27-2023, 07:43 PM
Last Post: Spater
  RockPro64 and Neon rapier1 2 1,697 10-21-2022, 07:44 AM
Last Post: rapier1