WiFi module causes boot loop
So I received my pine the other day, it looks amazing though I'm slightly disappointed, I had added to my pledge the WiFi module and that lovely looking acrylic case.

No case in the package but everything else was present. However having formatted a 32Gb Samsung SD card with archlinux veriant, I have found that if the WiFi module is plugged in to the board it refuses to boot, it goes through the process of loading the kernal, then just restarts always at the same point. However if I remove the WiFi module, happy days it boots fine. 

Any suggestions would be welcome. Or if this a case of the WiFi module being DOA?
Make sure you are getting enough power, I could foresee a scenario were the WiFi/BT module is drawing enough that, when added to the rest of the boards load, might overwhelm your supply and thus fail. Just a thought before sending it back.
Currently playing around with Arduinos, CHIPs, Orange Pis, PineA64s, Raspberry Pis, etc.
(04-14-2016, 03:37 AM)DaveyDarko Wrote: Make sure you are getting enough power, I could foresee a scenario were the WiFi/BT module is drawing enough that, when added to the rest of the boards load, might overwhelm your supply and thus fail. Just a thought before sending it back.

Hi Davey,

Thanks for the reply, I'm currently using a 5v 2.4A power supply, as I have been struggling to get any joy with anything lower. I'll have to have a look around and see if I have a larger 5v charger.
(04-14-2016, 03:42 AM)BnEc Wrote:
(04-14-2016, 03:37 AM)DaveyDarko Wrote: Make sure you are getting enough power, I could foresee a scenario were the WiFi/BT module is drawing enough that, when added to the rest of the boards load, might overwhelm your supply and thus fail. Just a thought before sending it back.

Hi Davey,

Thanks for the reply, I'm currently using a 5v 2.4A power supply, as I have been struggling to get any joy with anything lower. I'll have to have a look around and see if I have a larger 5v charger.

You shouldn't need more than 2 amps of current at 5 volts. I think the issue lies elsewhere. Perhaps the WiFi module is faulty, or could be a software issue.
(04-14-2016, 04:54 AM)SkairkrohBule Wrote:

Hi Davey,

You shouldn't need more than 2 amps of current at 5 volts. I think the issue lies elsewhere. Perhaps the WiFi module is faulty, or could be a software issue.

I'll have to invest in a true 5v 2 amp charge then I think.

Hi Davey,

It is not uncommon for wifi to have brief moments of high power load (like when sending files, negotiating with an AP or even searching for one). It sounds as if this is what is happening to you. I know on my Pi2 I can idle around 400ma used but if I try to send a large file I can push power usage to 2A really fast. And for many cheap power supplies the more current you draw the more the voltage sags. It is not uncommon for something that is capable of 5.0v at 100ma to drop to as much as 4.4v at 2A. Thats a crappy supply, but believe me they are out there. Of course when the voltage drops, chips sensitive to that may freeze, reset, or just act erratically. And this isnt limited to just wifi, every sensor, screen, usb device you add increases this drain. it only takes a heavy load on the usb bus seconds to drop voltage with a cheap supply and reboot a board. 

You can use any power supply that is 5v with a current rating 2A or more. The 5v cant change but the current could be as much as 50A available. 

Chargers are not the same as power supplies. Most are engineered for short duty cycles instead of constant load and usually have very poor heat dissipation and to be frank most arent meant to live for more than a year or two. Once phone chargers crossed the 1A boundary they got very proprietary. Since the Usb 1.0 spec current max is well under 1A most phone chargers will not put out more than 500ma without getting a manufacturer specific signal. For some its as simple as a pull down resistor, for others its complex communications. In short, I wouldn't use anything that is is not meant to be a power supply. 

What I personally am using is a power supply adapter board with an old router wall wart supply that outputs 12v at 2A. ( this http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Free-Ship...11454.html ) Of course ordering from Aliexpress takes a bit longer but the same board should be available in many places, Amazon, Ebay etc. just keep in mind not every LM2596 board works as well as the next. Some designs suck. Also use caution with adjustable output boards that have a usb connection since you can easily set the USB port to a voltage high enough to fry anything you connect. An old laptop supply, or any DC output wall wart with a voltage of say 7v at 2A can feed one of these adapters (up to its rated input voltage, read the specs these vary). 

There are good usable supplies out there but despite the many anecdotal "I used the charger for phone X to power my X for years" stories out there, save yourself trouble and buy a good power supply. If in doubt, just pick a reputable dealer like Farnell, MCMElectronics, etc and buy something at the voltage you need with more current than you need.
I have now brought a pi 3 power supply, this should allow me 5v 2.5A and it is a power supply and not just a phone charger. Should be with me tomorrow, lets hope this works.
Rahlquist said everything I wanted but didn't have time to say and failed to elucidate in my earlier reply. Thanks.

@BnEc: The official Pi3 PSU may cure your issues. If it doesn't, at least then you can probably eliminate the power supply as the source of the problem.
Sadly I have had no luck, I'm unable to boot into Arch on the Pine when I have the WiFi module plugged in, looks like it is DOA. I have tried several OSs and power cables, just tried it with the Pi 3 offical power supply. Pine will boot though will just loop while WiFi is in.

Does anyone know the process of getting a new one? Do Pine have an RMA process?
(04-15-2016, 04:24 PM)BnEc Wrote: Sadly I have had no luck, I'm unable to boot into Arch on the Pine when I have the WiFi module plugged in, looks like it is DOA.  I have tried several OSs and power cables, just tried it with the Pi 3 offical power supply. Pine will boot though will just loop while WiFi is in.

Does anyone know the process of getting a new one? Do Pine have an RMA process?

Please PM me and I will ship out a new Wifi/BT module to you.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Boot Ox64 after SPI Flash IC replacement kotnitro 1 1,056 05-26-2023, 02:19 AM
Last Post: kotnitro
  Star64 first boot (and success) bortzmeyer 1 1,490 05-24-2023, 02:45 AM
Last Post: draintroup
  USB adapter to eMMC module not recognized danril 0 1,235 11-25-2022, 04:16 AM
Last Post: danril
  SOQUARTZ Compute module W does not fit Raspberry Pi CM4 dev board ihab 0 1,484 10-06-2022, 08:46 PM
Last Post: ihab
Exclamation Quartz64 model a wont boot AndyNZAUS 0 1,484 09-13-2022, 06:35 AM
Last Post: AndyNZAUS
  Maximum size of boot MicroSD for RockPro64 and Pinebook Pro commiecam 0 1,644 08-07-2022, 10:47 AM
Last Post: commiecam
  No WIFI network discovery in any manjaro installation (but works on fedora) pineitup 1 2,828 02-02-2021, 12:13 AM
Last Post: PineSupporter
  How to boot from SD card on pinebook pro linux123 3 5,949 12-02-2020, 10:29 AM
Last Post: linux123
Lightbulb Live boot with persistence? r00tn3rd 1 3,173 10-23-2020, 01:30 AM
Last Post: HotChocolate
  Occasional boot toiny 0 2,102 10-18-2020, 01:41 PM
Last Post: toiny