Updated stock Manjaro, now won't boot (brick?)
So I updated the stock Manjaro on my PBP with pacman syu and put my pinebook in sleep mode, now a day later I press the power and see the power led on (after charging a bit, seems drained) but nothing shows on the screen, WTF? I just got this PBP, didn't even pull the plastic of the screen yet...

What do fam
The early versions of Manjaro require you to remove and reflash the boot device to circumvent a bug. I removed and reflashed my eMMC and now updates work perfectly.
The sleep mode is not very effective unless you do VERY specific things
So, likely the battery is compleatly flat, charge it for at least 1/2 day
or until the red led beside charging socket goes out
(12-11-2021, 10:38 PM)Samurai_Crow Wrote: The early versions of Manjaro require you to remove and reflash the boot device to circumvent a bug.  I removed and reflashed my eMMC and now updates work perfectly.

Would suspect there would be a warning somewhere for the PBP buyer since this is the stock system.... Seriously I just updated the system and now its bricked.

(12-12-2021, 01:49 AM)wdt Wrote: The sleep mode is not very effective unless you do VERY specific things
So, likely the battery is compleatly flat, charge it for at least 1/2 day
or until the red led beside charging socket goes out

I charged it for more than 6 hours... Red charger light was on... Still same, power keyboard key LED lights on but black screen... Pine Brick Pro...
You can't brick a PBP. Not without physical damage. Your U-boot isn't working. You'll need a serial console to see why. Or, just replace it and move on.
:wq

[ SRA accepts you ]
A manjaro update does not touch 1st 16M, just dumps the uboot files in /boot for you
to use with a dd command. OP said nothing about this
Maybe it needs a hard reset,,, press pwr and hold 20+ sec, if necessary do it twice
Otherwise, remove/disable emmc,, try to boot from sd
(12-14-2021, 10:46 AM)wdt Wrote: A manjaro update does not touch 1st 16M, just dumps the uboot files in /boot for you
to use with a dd command. OP said nothing about this
Maybe it needs a hard reset,,, press pwr and hold 20+ sec, if necessary do it twice
Otherwise, remove/disable emmc,, try to boot from sd

OP say what?! I will try this and let you know thanks, how could it be normal for this to happen with a simple update? I am not a new linux user (not expert either) and this has never happened to me on one of my other machines.. Will keep yall posted.
There may be a readme in boot telling the dd commands to write idbloader and u-boot.itb
If it is mainline (likely) trust is part of (contained in) u-boot.itb
uboot may be considered as a rudimentary bios
The dtb might be considered the 2nd half of the bios, to set up the specific devices
The dtb will have been updated with a new kernel, maybe there is some mismatch between the two (uboot & dtb)
My question isnt why it happened, it is why is it normal that a simple system update brick the device in my first week of using the PBP...
Holding the power button down for a minute doesnt do anthing.... (When powering from off state and holding LED turns on for a few seconds and then turns off)
Any guide somewhere on how to unbrick the device?
Can you try to write a Manjaro image to a micro SD card and see if it boots?
If not, try to get something like an eMMC to USB adapter.
Open your Pinebook Pro and get the eMMC, and try to write a Manjaro image to the eMMC with the adapter.
Be careful with static electricity.
https://wiki.pine64.org/wiki/Pinebook_Pr...Reassembly

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Manjaro versions bad and good gilwood 0 165 02-12-2024, 05:03 PM
Last Post: gilwood
  uboot wont boot to SD card after upgrade jbradley419 7 546 01-19-2024, 02:29 PM
Last Post: wdt
  Video Flashing/adjusting on boot and reboot jbradley419 0 216 01-16-2024, 09:17 AM
Last Post: jbradley419
  Brand new Pinebook Pro doesn't boot after Manjaro update johnboiles 8 1,943 12-15-2023, 02:11 PM
Last Post: wdt
  PBP won't boot after trying to reinstall Manjaro ARM soupgirl 3 540 12-13-2023, 08:17 PM
Last Post: trillobite
  Various freezes during boot & while running several Linux distros - hardware error? donuts 1 489 11-22-2023, 11:47 AM
Last Post: fxc
  Cannot boot to Kali SD card after uboot upgrade jbradley419 4 1,025 09-19-2023, 08:48 AM
Last Post: dachalife
  Does latest Tow-Boot install/work correctly for everyone? tophneal 4 1,611 08-03-2023, 03:30 PM
Last Post: tophneal
  Boot into NVME drive, no wifi, sound, buttons... PaulQ 0 737 07-13-2023, 01:50 PM
Last Post: PaulQ
  New Pinebook pro won’t boot Generaltuxenburg 4 1,784 06-14-2023, 07:20 AM
Last Post: KC9UDX