sagemath on Manjaro (or Debian)
Hi,

I want to install sage on my pinebook pro; I was wondering if it is possible? I am on Manjaro KDE and apparently I am having problems in finding the correct package.

Also, I want to learn if sagemath is available on debian for pinebook pro?

Best,

PS: I tried compiling sagemath but it is very resource hungry. It ended draining my battery.
I am trying to install sagemath-git, which is the most self-explanatory package on pamac. It is giving me dependency error. How do I install sage on Manjaro (KDE)?

I checked out the sage package on debian and it seems to be available for download as a binary according to the website below:

https://packages.debian.org/search?keywords=sagemath

Can anyone confirm the availability? If I can't make sage to work in Manjaro and if sage is available on Debian, I will switch to Debian from Manjaro.
Refining the search to ARM64 - it should work without issue.
(08-07-2020, 06:44 AM)jed Wrote: Refining the search to ARM64 - it should work without issue.
Ok, great. Based on your confirmation, I will switch to Debian from Manjaro.
Consider which iteration of Debian you want to use - Buster (stable), Bullseye (testing) or Sid (unstable).

The Debian Wiki article for Sage states:

Quote:This is one of the most complex packages in Debian ...

It is however advisable to follow the versions as closely as possible, especially for specialized math packages, which tend to have less stable interfaces than general purpose libraries ...

Should you need fresher packages (ala rolling release) consider upgrading from Buster to Bullseye, or further from Bullseye to Sid. The Wiki covers this process.

Hope it works well for you - read the article for Sage and beware of breakages. Consider building from source as a last resort.
(08-07-2020, 02:53 PM)jed Wrote: Consider which iteration of Debian you want to use - Buster (stable), Bullseye (testing) or Sid (unstable).

The Debian Wiki article for Sage states:

Quote:This is one of the most complex packages in Debian ...

It is however advisable to follow the versions as closely as possible, especially for specialized math packages, which tend to have less stable interfaces than general purpose libraries ...

Should you need fresher packages (ala rolling release) consider upgrading from Buster to Bullseye, or further from Bullseye to Sid. The Wiki covers this process.

Hope it works well for you - read the article for Sage and beware of breakages. Consider building from source as a last resort.
Hi,

Yes, I have been with debian testing before and indeed it broke my system with updates. That is a reason I want to use my pinebook pro with debian stable.

I wanted to let you know that I am on Debian now; but not stable, testing. The debian stable has given me hard time in booting from a microsd. Debian testing installer on the pinebook pro wiki did the trick. I am currently with Debian testing xfce and I want to let you know that both Sagemath and emacs (two of my must have applications) are working appropriately.

Nevertheless I have other problems now. One thing is the keyboard layout. I couldn't get some of the keyboard keys working (screen brightness keys and Pinebook key). I need to find a way to make them working. Also, my touchpad feels sluggish; I don't know how to tweak it.

I tried many img files for my micro sd card and most of them didn't work, including ubuntu bionic, focal, debian stable. I currently have success with only Fedora 32 workstation (gnome) and this debian installer. Both are fine with me Fedora (yes, fedora is also providing sagemath binaries) feels more stable than Debian testing but the Gnome desktop is more resource hungry and feels unnecessary for a laptop without a touch screen. So, I am opting for Debian + xfce (4.14) for now.

I have other problems such as watching netflix and drm content, proprietary software zoom, skype etc. I guess I will be looking for a solution for them. I am keeping the Manjaro KDE in the flash drive as it is the default operating system came with this machine. But I will be using Debian (or Fedora) as my daily productivity environment.

In case you have any suggestions, I would be interested in hearing from you.

Best Regards
Great!

The Manjaro Pinebook image likely comes with support for more hotkeys than Debian - Debian typically doesn't include extraneous configurations. Try evaluating keycodes with xev, then plug them into the XFCE settings.

You should be able to adjust the touchpad's sensitivity using libinput or xinput.

Frankly, I would opt for the same as you - Debian with a lightweight desktop environment or window manager. Fedora is another good choice on paper, but I don't have any experience with Fedora / CentOS / RHEL.

I believe there are other threads in the forum regarding DRM content in the web browser. If Widevine is available in the browser, I'd say you're most of the way there - bearing in mind that Linux has spotty DRM support on amd64, never mind arm64.

I don't believe Skype and Zoom are compiled for arm64 - have you looked on Flathub or Snapcraft? You should still be able to use the web client for Zoom. Skype is an enigma; if you are referring to Skype for Business, you're out of luck on any architecture.

Good luck Cool

I didn't mention containers (Docker) or virtualisation (QEMU) as solutions to DRM or running binaries from another architecture, but these are avenues you can explore if you're feeling adventurous.
(08-08-2020, 06:32 AM)jed Wrote: Great!

The Manjaro Pinebook image likely comes with support for more hotkeys than Debian - Debian typically doesn't include extraneous configurations. Try evaluating keycodes with xev, then plug them into the XFCE settings.

You should be able to adjust the touchpad's sensitivity using libinput or xinput.

Frankly, I would opt for the same as you - Debian with a lightweight desktop environment or window manager. Fedora is another good choice on paper, but I don't have any experience with Fedora / CentOS / RHEL.

I believe there are other threads in the forum regarding DRM content in the web browser. If Widevine is available in the browser, I'd say you're most of the way there - bearing in mind that Linux has spotty DRM support on amd64, never mind arm64.

I don't believe Skype and Zoom are compiled for arm64 - have you looked on Flathub or Snapcraft? You should still be able to use the web client for Zoom. Skype is an enigma; if you are referring to Skype for Business, you're out of luck on any architecture.

Good luck Cool

I didn't mention containers (Docker) or virtualisation (QEMU) as solutions to DRM or running binaries from another architecture, but these are avenues you can explore if you're feeling adventurous.
Hi,

I have been trying three options since last night Debian with XFCE, Debian Gnome, and Fedora Workstation 32. I ended up settling down to Debian testing with Gnome. I am using Gnome Classic in particular. It seemed to be the best compromise between XFCE (very lightweight but needs good amount of tweaks on both hardware and software) and Fedora 32 (full featured Gnome desktop but heavy and more demanding). Debian Gnome Classic stays somewhere between the two. It doesn't demand much tweak and at the same time boots to 21% memory usage (xfce is 11% and fedora is 29%).

Regarding the keymap, I found the link below:

https://wiki.pine64.org/index.php/Pinebo..._Installer

Apparently brightness keys is a known issue. I tried the workaround but it didn't work. I realize there is a debian installer thread; so, I will subscribe and see if I can receive help. I have other problems such as the sound card defaulting to headphone as output even though no headphone is connected, or pinebook skipping the sd card and booting to manjaro kde. After restart I can boot into debian from the sd card.

At least my concerns with sagemath and emacs is gone. I wish the default Manjaro had Sagemath binaries that worked. Emacs is not working nicely in Manjaro KDE either. For now, I will stick to Debian.
Nice to hear it's working for you Exclamation

GNOME should come with PulseAudio; install pavucontrol and set your default (fallback) devices there. Else, define your sound card in ~/.asoundrc.
Hi,

I am really not sure about how to fix this (or even this needs to be fixed). I installed pavucontrol and tried to check available devices. The only option I have there in the Output tab is "Headphones", which confuse me. When I check the "Gnome Settings" sound section, I have "Headphones - Built-in Audio" and "Multichannel Output - Built-in Audio" a output device options. The speakers seem to be working; I haven't tried what happens when I insert a headphone set though. I am confused. I am not sure how to modify the settings if necessary.

I have another annoyance, which is strange "Poff" noises during the login, shutdown process. I also hear it from time to time in my account. I can't understand the reason.

Still I like Debian Bullseye. It seems ironically much more usable than the shipped default Manjaro KDE. With Manjaro, I had big problems with the display, freezes, screen flickering etc. I am happy with Debian Gnome; much more usable.

I am hoping to fix the sound and the "Poff" noises with Debian. Additionally, I realize if I shut down the computer and boot (say after an hour), I realize my pinebook neglects my micro sd card and I find myself in the Manjaro environment. Is there any way I can prevent this?

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Debian on Pinebook Pro u974615 8 452 03-22-2024, 03:57 PM
Last Post: u974615
  Manjaro Sway Theme Broken Eighty8 1 171 03-08-2024, 08:41 AM
Last Post: tophneal
Question Manjaro with Full Disk Encryption and GRUB dumetrulo 1 1,610 02-02-2024, 02:45 AM
Last Post: frankkinney
  Manjaro network problem late 2023 acruhl 1 221 01-19-2024, 11:32 PM
Last Post: Kevin Kofler
  Help installing Manjaro on eMMC of Pinebook Pro pine4546464 4 1,922 12-13-2023, 07:22 PM
Last Post: trillobite
  Need Help Recovering Manjaro /boot Contents on Pinebook Pro calinb 6 1,981 12-11-2023, 03:47 AM
Last Post: calinb
  Manjaro 20.04 not loading from SD (with Manjaro on eMMC) zaius 1 295 12-07-2023, 03:11 PM
Last Post: wdt
  install debian on pbp jsch 7 3,835 11-22-2023, 04:22 PM
Last Post: TRS-80
  Manjaro ARM: enabling external monitors & fixing Broadcom WiFi after updating trifleneurotic 2 749 11-14-2023, 10:57 AM
Last Post: trifleneurotic
  How to mainline kernel on daniel thompson's debian installer? hellojack 14 7,033 09-07-2023, 09:38 PM
Last Post: Der Geist der Maschine