Broken Boot
Hello, 

I went to install a sata nvme drive in my pbp. I pre flashed it with twister os.

Before installing I booted into an sd card image and formatted the emmc to ext4, with the drive label storage.

After installation, it does not boot from, ssd, or sd, also there is nothing on the emmc.

I tried removing the emmc and ssd, to boot from the micro sd, but it does not work.

The cpu warms up as if it is turning on.

Any advice would be appreciated.
If you didn't flash the SPI ROM, you simply have a bad image on your micro SD card. Or, the PBP hasn't actually turned off. In that case, hold the power button for twenty seconds to make sure it turns off.
(05-04-2021, 07:39 AM)KC9UDX Wrote: If you didn't flash the SPI ROM, you simply have a bad image on your micro SD card.  Or, the PBP hasn't actually turned off.  In that case, hold the power button for twenty seconds to make sure it turns off.
Well, I have it plugged into a PinePower, so I can see the current draw when it's on vs off. It turns off and remains at a black screen when on. I will try reflashing an image onto the micro sd later.

Edit: With a different microsd, and an image that worked yesterday, it is still the same. Black screen while on.
Is the SPI rom accessible with gparted, maybe I inadvertently deleted it?

I would also like to add, that right now, I have the emmc, and ssd removed. I have inserted a freshly flashed micro sd. When I power it on, I get current draw but not amber or green light, and no display.
you couldn't have "deleted" the contents of SPI without actively trying to. the SPI is also empty until you write to it. Standard installs/image for the PBP place their uboots on the emmc/sd, within their /boot.

What images have you tried so far? What brand/speed are the SD cards you're using? Did you also check to make sure that your nvme drive has low enough power requirements and power saving settings to work well within the PBP? Some can appear to work well until there's a load put on them, and then this same kind of thing happens until you remove the drive.
(05-04-2021, 10:50 AM)tophneal Wrote: you couldn't have "deleted" the contents of SPI without actively trying to. the SPI is also empty until you write to it. Standard installs/image for the PBP place their uboots on the emmc/sd, within their /boot.

What images have you tried so far? What brand/speed are the SD cards you're using? Did you also check to make sure that your nvme drive has low enough power requirements and power saving settings to work well within the PBP? Some can appear to work well until there's a load put on them, and then this same kind of thing happens until you remove the drive.
I have tried armbian, the factory manjaro image, and twister os. I have tried using lexar a1 u3, sandisk extreme pro iirc a2 u3, as well as an old class 10 sandisk. 

These all worked from micro sd before I formatted the emmc. I have tried booting from micro sd with the emmc and nvme completley removed. 

I have an emmc to usb adapter on the way from amazon. It should be here tomorrow. I also have the uart cable from pine64, but I don't think I am to the point of trying to get that all working. I will flash an image directly to the emmc when I get the adapter.  
At any point in time during your efforts to get the nvme drive in and working, did your PBP battery drain to 100% dead?
>Standard installs/image for the PBP place their uboots on the emmc/sd, within their /boot
Actually, not in /boot, in the 1st 16M, not formated, no FS, raw bytes at specific offset
Sometimes (manjaro) the idbloader and uboot are 'dumped' in /boot,,
for you to MANUALLY give the appropriate dd commands (to copy to 1st 16M)
This for an update, 99% have these files in the correct place in the image
If you run fdisk on the image (uncompressed) you will see first partition is 16M or more in from beginning
-----
Do be sure to hold power button 20+s, 18 will not do, OR try a different sd or distro
20s=hard reset,, 8s=hard power off, always try 8s 1st
(05-04-2021, 11:19 AM)tophneal Wrote: At any point in time during your efforts to get the  nvme drive in and working, did your PBP battery drain to 100% dead?
No, it did not.

I did just recently disconnect it and reconnect it an attempt to get it booting. This did not help.
(05-04-2021, 11:25 AM)wdt Wrote: >Standard installs/image for the PBP place their uboots on the emmc/sd, within their /boot
Actually, not in /boot, in the 1st 16M, not formated, no FS, raw bytes at specific offset

You're right. Thanks for the correction.
(05-04-2021, 11:25 AM)wdt Wrote: >Standard installs/image for the PBP place their uboots on the emmc/sd, within their /boot
This for an update, 99% have these files in the correct place in the image
If you run fdisk on the image (uncompressed) you will see first partition is 16M or more in from beginning
-----
Do be sure to hold power button 20+s, 18 will not do, OR try a different sd or distro
20s=hard reset,, 8s=hard power off, always try 8s 1st
I am flashing these images with balena etcher not dd. Could this be my issue? The images do have  /boot. 

I literally just got this device yesterday, so I apologize if that is a noob move.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  uboot wont boot to SD card after upgrade jbradley419 7 631 01-19-2024, 02:29 PM
Last Post: wdt
  Video Flashing/adjusting on boot and reboot jbradley419 0 235 01-16-2024, 09:17 AM
Last Post: jbradley419
  Brand new Pinebook Pro doesn't boot after Manjaro update johnboiles 8 2,001 12-15-2023, 02:11 PM
Last Post: wdt
  PBP won't boot after trying to reinstall Manjaro ARM soupgirl 3 563 12-13-2023, 08:17 PM
Last Post: trillobite
  Various freezes during boot & while running several Linux distros - hardware error? donuts 1 516 11-22-2023, 11:47 AM
Last Post: fxc
  Cannot boot to Kali SD card after uboot upgrade jbradley419 4 1,072 09-19-2023, 08:48 AM
Last Post: dachalife
  Does latest Tow-Boot install/work correctly for everyone? tophneal 4 1,674 08-03-2023, 03:30 PM
Last Post: tophneal
  Boot into NVME drive, no wifi, sound, buttons... PaulQ 0 752 07-13-2023, 01:50 PM
Last Post: PaulQ
  New Pinebook pro won’t boot Generaltuxenburg 4 1,803 06-14-2023, 07:20 AM
Last Post: KC9UDX
Tongue Yet another Pinebook Pro won't boot thread pinemouth 4 2,266 05-20-2023, 01:02 AM
Last Post: jackwilson