Q4OS for PinebookPro
(02-17-2021, 01:07 PM)pine76 Wrote: Hi there,

I want to try Q4Os on my pinebook pro. Just wondering how to install it on a micro sd card. Can I use gnome disks utility to install the q4os iso images to the micro sd?

Yes you can. Select your SD card in Gnome Disks, and then choose Restore Disk, and select the img
(02-17-2021, 01:26 PM)tophneal Wrote:

I want to try Q4Os on my pinebook pro. Just wondering how to install it on a micro sd card. Can I use gnome disks utility to install the q4os iso images to the micro sd?

Yes you can. Select your SD card in Gnome Disks, and then choose Restore Disk, and select the img

Ok, thank you. I was hesitant because Q4OS images are in .iso format unlike the other linux flavors that are in .img format.

I will give this a try once the images are updated; q4os has released a new version, so I will wait the new release here.
If it is an "iso",, likely it is NOT arm
If it has 'x64' OR 'i386' in the name,, That is NOT arm
Don't confuse amd64 and arm64
Look for pinebookpro in the name
(02-17-2021, 01:26 PM)tophneal Wrote:

Hey! Smile

The above solution did not work for me. I tried to DD the ISO image then by using Gnome Disks to "restore" it to eMMC but the eMMC can`t boot. Not even the LED is turning on. Then I tried to flash the trust, idbloader and the uboot img-s to the eMMC, then the LED swtiched on but no boot.
I previously had FydeOS installed on the eMMC, now I have Q4OS, which can`t boot. I can boot mrfixit`s Debian from an SD card, I am writing these words from it.

Any suggestions how to utilize my extensive flashing skills to make Q4OS boot from the eMMC?
I installed it to my old laptop, from 2008 and it`s so smooth and low on resources I thought I`ll give a try on the PBP.

Thank you for the help in advance.
>by using Gnome Disks to "restore" it to eMMC but the eMMC can`t boot. Not even the LED is turning on.
almost suggests that gnome disks doesn't copy uboot (1st 16M)
>and the uboot img-s to the eMMC, then the LED swtiched on but no boot.
does the caps lock LED toogle?
Do you have a vt? (control-alt-F3)
Do look closely,, I have had a vt where the letters were barely visible,
very tiny, very faint. I don't think setfont -d works for debian (which is what q4os is based on)
Clearly the emmc uboot is either working or blank since you have mrfixit SD boot
(boot rom search order for idbloader is SPI, emmc, SD, 1st one found is one that is used)
(03-06-2021, 01:31 PM)wdt Wrote: >by using Gnome Disks to "restore" it to eMMC but the eMMC can`t boot. Not even the LED is turning on.
almost suggests that gnome disks doesn't copy uboot (1st 16M)
>and the uboot img-s to the eMMC, then the LED swtiched on but no boot.
does the caps lock LED toogle?
Do you have a vt? (control-alt-F3)
Do look closely,, I have had a vt where the letters were barely visible,
very tiny, very faint.  I don't think setfont -d works for debian (which is what q4os is based on)
Clearly the emmc uboot is either working or blank since you have mrfixit SD boot
(boot rom search order for idbloader is SPI, emmc, SD, 1st one found is one that is used)

Thank you for getting back to the topic, but I'm afraid I am more noob than to fully get what you mean. I was thinking if there would be a way to build the img from the ISO image provided by Q4OS team. You know, include the necessary uboot for the first 16 MB, etc, I really don't know what I am talking about. Smile
I'll be simple then,,, if it is an"ISO" image, it is very likely that it is x86 or x64, ie intel
This will NOT work for arm or arm64 or aarch64,,,,ever
Nearly every "img" has uboot and friends in 1st 16M of image
You can run fdisk on an image to check, the 1st partition will start at 32768 sectors or more
Only twice have I seen an image without uboot
--more--
open the ISO with ark or dolphin,, almost certainly there will be a /EFI/ directory
If it has /EFI/boot/boot_x64.efi or something ????x64.efi this is for intel/AMD
For arm, you would see bootaa64.efi,, very few arm devices use efi, but uboot can load it
Obviously, if the boot loader is intel, so is the rest of the distro
(03-30-2021, 12:23 PM)wdt Wrote: I'll be simple then,,, if it is an"ISO" image, it is very likely that it is x86 or x64, ie intel
This will NOT work for arm or arm64 or aarch64,,,,ever
Nearly every "img" has uboot and friends in 1st 16M of image
You can run fdisk on an image to check, the 1st partition will start at 32768 sectors or more
Only twice have I seen an image without uboot
--more--
open the ISO with ark or dolphin,, almost certainly there will be a /EFI/ directory
If it has /EFI/boot/boot_x64.efi or something ????x64.efi this is for intel/AMD
For arm, you would see bootaa64.efi,, very few arm devices use efi, but uboot can load it
Obviously, if the boot loader is intel, so is the rest of the distro

Alright, I am not as dumm, as it may seemed. Big Grin I know what ARM is and what x86, or x86-64 is. Wink
This image what I was referring sits here, engineered for the PBP:
https://wiki.pine64.org/wiki/PinebookPro...lease#Q4OS
OK, had a look at sourceforge site
The zip has pinebookpro in the name, I bet the ISO's are x86
All this in "testing" directory
Updated Q4OS image "q4os-3.14-pinebookpro.r4-testing1.zip" is available for download https://sourceforge.net/projects/q4os/files/testing/
A testing and feedback would be appreciated.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  unsuccessful re-install of OS for PineBookPro Valiance 3 1,200 02-14-2023, 12:49 PM
Last Post: Valiance
  Problems installing/ booting a different Linux on PinebookPro v-man 3 2,961 03-22-2022, 06:37 PM
Last Post: pentamassiv
  Possible to install KDE Neon on PinebookPro? Pinoideae 11 11,598 10-27-2020, 10:09 AM
Last Post: firefox-58
  pkgsrc framework on Pinebookpro Linux (manjaro) astr0baby 0 1,979 02-09-2020, 10:47 AM
Last Post: astr0baby
Sad pinebookpro-debian-desktop-mrfixit-190905 - audio output very noisy tmorin 3 5,153 11-14-2019, 03:20 PM
Last Post: tgrauss