Armbian for the Pinebook Pro [WIP]
perhaps my experience is an outlier, but when i tried armbian the wireless didn't work, and it also didn't have u-boot to boot from SD card.
(02-05-2020, 09:18 PM)xmixahlx Wrote: perhaps my experience is an outlier, but when i tried armbian the wireless didn't work, and it also didn't have u-boot to boot from SD card.

Maybe it is because you run Armbian Debian? I use Armbian Ubuntu and wireless works without a problem.
i did download armbian debian, yes.
(02-06-2020, 01:27 AM)xmixahlx Wrote: i did download armbian debian, yes.

I also tried both versions of Armbian. Wifi did not work on Debian version but is fine on Ubuntu. 

Armbian Ubuntu has no way to get battery status, and has some problems with video/audio causing it to lock up when watching in a browser. It is the only version that I have tried that has Wireguard capability. Most everything works when installing from the supplied packages. It is also the smoothest and probably the most responsive of the distributions that I have tried. The 64 bit arm requirement means that some programs are just not available yet (Vivaldi browser for example). The screen brightness keys need a file to be added ( /etc/X11/xorg.conf ) that is documented in the posts. 

I would be using it as my default distribution if the battery status was available in some manner. 

Hope this helps.
vivaldi does have arm64 packages. found under snapshots.
(02-06-2020, 03:46 PM)xmixahlx Wrote: vivaldi does have arm64 packages. found under snapshots.

Thank you for that information. I don't know why I could not see that on their web page. 

Downloaded, installed, and using Vivaldi for arm64 to send this post! I haven't had much time to use this version of Vivaldi, but the first thing I did was load a bookmarks.html file. It loaded, but when I selected a bookmark it would not load the site. I then tried a sync and that worked and no problems loading the bookmarked sites. 

This moves Arbian closer to being my default distribution. As I said, it is the smoothest and fastest of those that I have tried.

The lack of battery support is still the killer problem however. I will keep using it from an SD card to monitor the progress. As I have managed to get wireguard working in Bionic Mate (Ubuntu), that distro now has all of the features that I want.

Thanks again for your help.
(01-22-2020, 03:05 PM)Wizzard Wrote: Nobody using Armbian Ubuntu?
Today I upgraded to 20.04 and it runs fine, accelereation and sound works, battery not. Stella runs fast! Smile

Would you mind to describe briefly how to upgrade with Armbian Ubuntu.
I have no experience with Armbian and experimented a bit with not so much success and don't want to break the system.
(02-14-2020, 12:37 PM)Surehand53 Wrote: Would you mind to describe briefly how to upgrade with Armbian Ubuntu.
I have no experience with Armbian and experimented a bit with not so much success and don't want to break the system.

Just edited /etc/apt/sources.list and replaced "bionic" with "focal" and then run: "sudo apt update" and "sudo apt dist-upgrade" and it is, like in regular Ubuntu.
(02-14-2020, 01:03 PM)Wizzard Wrote:
(02-14-2020, 12:37 PM)Surehand53 Wrote: Would you mind to describe briefly how to upgrade with Armbian Ubuntu.

Just edited /etc/apt/sources.list and replaced "bionic" with "focal" and then run: "sudo apt update" and "sudo apt dist-upgrade" and it is, like in regular Ubuntu.

Hmm. When I do that I get this error message with sudo apt update:

Code:
Traceback (most recent call last):
 File "/usr/lib/cnf-update-db", line 26, in <module>
   col.create(db)
 File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/CommandNotFound/db/creator.py", line 93, in create
   self._fill_commands(con)
 File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/CommandNotFound/db/creator.py", line 127, in _fill_commands
   self._parse_single_commands_file(con, fp)
 File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/CommandNotFound/db/creator.py", line 165, in _parse_single_commands_file
   suite=tagf.section["suite"]
KeyError: 'suite'
Error in sys.excepthook:
 File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/apport_python_hook.py", line 145, in apport_excepthook
   os.O_WRONLY | os.O_CREAT | os.O_EXCL, 0o640), 'wb') as f:
FileNotFoundError: [Errno 2] No such file or directory: '/var/crash/_usr_lib_cnf-update-db.0.crash'

Original exception was:
 File "/usr/lib/cnf-update-db", line 26, in <module>
   col.create(db)
 File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/CommandNotFound/db/creator.py", line 93, in create
   self._fill_commands(con)
 File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/CommandNotFound/db/creator.py", line 127, in _fill_commands
   self._parse_single_commands_file(con, fp)
 File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/CommandNotFound/db/creator.py", line 165, in _parse_single_commands_file
   suite=tagf.section["suite"]
KeyError: 'suite'
Reading package lists... Done
E: Problem executing scripts APT::Update::Post-Invoke-Success 'if /usr/bin/test -w /var/lib/command-not-found/ -a -e /usr/lib/cnf-update-db; then /usr/lib/cnf-update-db > /dev/null; fi'
E: Sub-process returned an error code

Something with Python it seems.
This is basically a fresh install, nothing changed really.

Any idea?
I get the same, but I can upgrade anyway.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Debian on Pinebook Pro u974615 8 444 03-22-2024, 03:57 PM
Last Post: u974615
  Pinebook Pro upgrading from the factory image yamsoup 12 1,113 02-22-2024, 04:02 PM
Last Post: tllim
  Help installing Manjaro on eMMC of Pinebook Pro pine4546464 4 1,914 12-13-2023, 07:22 PM
Last Post: trillobite
  Need Help Recovering Manjaro /boot Contents on Pinebook Pro calinb 6 1,979 12-11-2023, 03:47 AM
Last Post: calinb
  Gentoo on Pinebook Pro RELEASE jannik2099 54 86,622 12-08-2023, 11:25 PM
Last Post: tllim
  Boot Order in Pinebook Pro food 8 992 11-23-2023, 07:37 AM
Last Post: KC9UDX
  USB 3 port not working with Armbian zaius 3 722 11-13-2023, 01:54 PM
Last Post: zaius
  PineBook Pro seems to go to deep sleep, but doesn't wake up pogo 11 4,924 08-31-2023, 04:20 PM
Last Post: TRS-80
  Would a Pinebook Pro be good for a Linux newbie? cassado10 6 1,323 08-08-2023, 04:58 AM
Last Post: moobythegoldensock
  Install deepin OS on pinebook pro wangyukunshan 4 1,422 08-07-2023, 01:12 PM
Last Post: myself600