An unofficial Debian Installer for Pinebook Pro
Question 
(02-12-2020, 04:07 AM)Solra Bizna Wrote:
(02-12-2020, 03:58 AM)dumetrulo Wrote: How do I go about configuring WiFi on this minimal setup so I can start adding components?

I believe you will just need the "wpasupplicant" and "network-manager" packages. With those installed, the "nmtui" command is a ... usable way of getting networking set up without a DE.

How do I install them at the time I run the installer?
After running the installer, mount the root partition, chroot into it, do whatever apt commands you want, exit from the chroot, and unmount the root partition.

Something like this:

Code:
mount /dev/mmcblk1p6 /mnt
chroot /mnt /bin/bash
apt install wpasupplicant network-manager
# (run any other commands you like here)
exit
umount /mnt

(make sure a given command succeeds before moving on to the next one)
(02-12-2020, 05:14 AM)Solra Bizna Wrote: After running the installer, mount the root partition, chroot into it, do whatever apt commands you want, exit from the chroot, and unmount the root partition.

Something like this:

Code:
mount /dev/mmcblk1p6 /mnt
chroot /mnt /bin/bash
apt install wpasupplicant network-manager
# (run any other commands you like here)
exit
umount /mnt

(make sure a given command succeeds before moving on to the next one)

There is also use the following to get a chroot shell: ./install-debian do_shell

Above approach is perfectly ok and often it won't make a difference which method you use. However do_shell will mount additional filesystems which allows you to run a wider set of commands to set things up and will also handle encrypted rootfs fairly smoothly.
PineTime: wasp-os and MicroPython, Pinebook Pro:  Debian Bullseye
Thumbs Up 
(02-12-2020, 05:58 AM)danielt Wrote: There is also use the following to get a chroot shell: ./install-debian do_shell

Thank you for this, I will try it out when I can!

Should that info be in the Readme on Github? (Or is it there, and I just overlooked it?)
(02-12-2020, 03:58 AM)dumetrulo Wrote: I have started playing around with this installer, and set up a minimal Bullseye (no tasks) on an SD card.

How do I go about configuring WiFi on this minimal setup so I can start adding components?

Also I noticed that the minimal setup is missing basic things like a shutdown or poweroff command, how can I add these at the time of installation?

Even if you don't select any tasks you should end up with wpasupplicant and network-manager packages already installed. In my installation all I needed to do was run 
Code:
nmcli device wifi connect <SSID> password <password>
to connect to my WiFi network. Run that command with 'sudo' if you want your connection to be system-wide and activated on system start-up as opposed to on user login. It may not get activated automatically anyway, possibly because there may be some extra packages needed - in my experience it didn't get activated automatically on first reboot, but it did get activated automatically on second reboot. If it doesn't get activated automatically after reboot - just run the same command again.
I always do a minimal install (no tasksel options). the above nmcli is my method to connect to network, but I use -a to prompt for password rather than have it in my history.
(02-12-2020, 11:40 PM). xmixahlx Wrote: I always do a minimal install (no tasksel options). the above nmcli is my method to connect to network, but I use -a to prompt for password rather than have it in my history.

Nice tip, I've missed that flag, should've guessed there would be one like that and looked more attentively.
(12-04-2019, 03:34 AM)danielt Wrote: I've recently spent a little while hacking together a quick 'n dirty Debian installer for the Pinebook Pro.

https://github.com/daniel-thompson/pineb...-installer

It is not a fully fledged installer... just some code that run on the Pinebook Pro itself using an existing Debian (or maybe Ubuntu) distro. It will install an operating system from scratch to an alternative media. Nevertheless it is a "real" installer in that sense that there is no downloadable image, no default password and you get to choose the keyboard layout, locale, timezone and desktop environment for yourself!

It uses upstream Debian packages for everything except the kernel and bootloaders. Actually... on that subject I deserve no credit for the kernel (which is the v5.4 close-to-mainline kernel that @tsys has has been hacking on) or the bootloaders (which are simply the binaries from @Mrfixit2001 's update repo).

So far I have only used it to author SD cards (from a distro running from eMMC) however it has been tested with the eMMC disabled so we can be confident the bootloaders work. That means that, in principle, it is also suitable for installing to eMMC when running from SD card. I've also only tested text mode and the Gnome desktop environment (wayland, panfrost, gnome 3.34).

One interesting feature of this installer is that it is trivial to switch from arm64 (default) and armhf (add ARCH=armhf to the make command line). This allows you to run identical distros with the two different instruction sets... which could make for some interesting benchmarks if someone wants to make them.

Check out the Pine64 wiki for feature status, known issues and workarounds.

2019-12-14: Partial LUKS rootfs support, automatic kernel updates, enable audio DAC by default, faster boot times.

2019-12-31: Rewrite as a shell script, automatic unmounting on error, better co-existance of installs to different media on the same machine (e.g. micro SD and eMMC installs).

2020-01-21: In response to user requests, @e-minguez created a wiki page (above) to share features status, known issues and workarounds. Please contribute and help keep it up to date! Note that if you have a forum login then you already have a wiki login.

You don't happen to have a linux-headers package for the 5.4.2.2-pinebookpro-arm64 kernel by any chance?
(02-13-2020, 09:18 AM)maya.b Wrote: You don't happen to have a linux-headers package for the 5.4.2.2-pinebookpro-arm64 kernel by any chance?

There's a linux-headers-5.4.2-2-pinebookpro-arm64 package.
Has somebody tried linux-image-5.5.0-rc5-arm64 from experimental?
PBP ISO / Debian Bullseye (unofficial installer)

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Debian on Pinebook Pro u974615 7 1,087 03-31-2024, 10:11 AM
Last Post: u974615
  Pinebook Pro upgrading from the factory image yamsoup 12 1,644 02-22-2024, 04:02 PM
Last Post: tllim
  Help installing Manjaro on eMMC of Pinebook Pro pine4546464 4 2,172 12-13-2023, 07:22 PM
Last Post: trillobite
  Need Help Recovering Manjaro /boot Contents on Pinebook Pro calinb 6 2,248 12-11-2023, 03:47 AM
Last Post: calinb
  Gentoo on Pinebook Pro RELEASE jannik2099 54 89,232 12-08-2023, 11:25 PM
Last Post: tllim
  Boot Order in Pinebook Pro food 8 1,268 11-23-2023, 07:37 AM
Last Post: KC9UDX
  install debian on pbp jsch 7 4,093 11-22-2023, 04:22 PM
Last Post: TRS-80
  How to mainline kernel on daniel thompson's debian installer? hellojack 14 7,505 09-07-2023, 09:38 PM
Last Post: Der Geist der Maschine
  PineBook Pro seems to go to deep sleep, but doesn't wake up pogo 11 5,352 08-31-2023, 04:20 PM
Last Post: TRS-80
  Would a Pinebook Pro be good for a Linux newbie? cassado10 6 1,502 08-08-2023, 04:58 AM
Last Post: moobythegoldensock