Clusterboard onboard switch
Dear community and team,

I just recently stumbled upon the sopine A64 and the clusterboard and think it is a great alternative to the traditional pis (orange, raspberry, etc.) and especially with the clusterboard you get a very neat cluster-design.
I am looking forward to building a skyminer for the skywire network with this, but would like to know a few additional things, before purchasing.

Especially regarding the onboard switch, I am a bit confused as to what specs / speeds the clusterboard offers.
Does it really offer full gigabit connectivity for each compute module at the same time?
In other words, is the switching capacity really 16Gbps?

I would be really thrilled to get some more information on this, since a colleague pointed out, the "onboard switch" might not be, what it seems to be. Although I doubt this is the case, I still want to make sure, I have full gigabit connectivity at every compute module and of course also on ethernet port (and all that at the same time -> 16Gbps switching capacity).

Thanks in advance and have a nice weekend Wink

Best regards,
Zyklone
(04-14-2018, 09:55 AM)Zyklone Wrote: Dear community and team,

I just recently stumbled upon the sopine A64 and the clusterboard and think it is a great alternative to the traditional pis (orange, raspberry, etc.) and especially with the clusterboard you get a very neat cluster-design.
I am looking forward to building a skyminer for the skywire network with this, but would like to know a few additional things, before purchasing.

Especially regarding the onboard switch, I am a bit confused as to what specs / speeds the clusterboard offers.
Does it really offer full gigabit connectivity for each compute module at the same time?
In other words, is the switching capacity really 16Gbps?

I would be really thrilled to get some more information on this, since a colleague pointed out, the "onboard switch" might not be, what it seems to be. Although I doubt this is the case, I still want to make sure, I have full gigabit connectivity at every compute module and of course also on ethernet port (and all that at the same time -> 16Gbps switching capacity).

Thanks in advance and have a nice weekend Wink

Best regards,
Zyklone
The on-board switch is a gigabit switch and this mean the max capacity still 1Gbps.
To be more precise, the switch chip on the clusterboard is a Realtek RTL8370N. This is an 8-port 1Gbe switch, with a total switching capacity of 8Gbps.

BUT...note that there is only 1 port of the switch chip that leaves the board.

Therefore you could, in theory, get all of the 7 soPine's talking to each other simultaneously at near 1Gb each, but if you want the data to leave the cluster you are limited to 1Gbps total between all of the modules.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Managed Ethernet switch on the Clusterboard dsimic 6 5,211 01-16-2024, 02:05 AM
Last Post: hazcam
  Selling Clusterboard + 4 sopine xblack86 7 5,735 09-26-2022, 03:09 AM
Last Post: poVoq
  clusterboard availability? linear 1 1,577 07-17-2022, 06:44 AM
  RTL8370 Ethernet Switch Register Values inx 6 6,573 12-31-2021, 07:17 AM
Last Post: inx
  Clusterboard not getting IP address after network fix Norlark 14 12,269 08-30-2021, 05:00 PM
  When would be the Clusterboard back on stock? __kzl__ 5 5,140 08-16-2021, 03:52 AM
  Schematics for customising the Clusterboard TechDragon 0 2,046 05-25-2021, 10:28 AM
Last Post: TechDragon
Information Clusterboard Guide AZClusterboard 9 23,167 04-06-2021, 06:32 AM
Brick Clusterboard CAD drawings TeaPack 1 3,766 03-31-2021, 01:38 PM
Last Post: Pine
  New Clusterboard Setup wargfn 5 7,224 01-01-2021, 10:10 AM