Pinebook's battery flat on arrival
(08-28-2017, 03:46 AM)p3p1 Wrote: Since I bought my Pinebook I used it for a few times. After a day of use with the battery, I turned it off and now when I try to turn it on I have red battery icon. I followed the procedure 2+ hours (one night) of charging, removed and reinserted the power cables (12 times) and charging for another 1-2hrs, but still no boot. Someone can help me? The battery is gone?

No, the battery is not gone;  however, the PMIC "believes" that its gone !

...  you need to open the pinebook up (yes, I'm serious, ten tiny screws, then pop the bottom cover off ).

Carefully unplug the battery with the unit power adapter plugged in;  count 5, plug it back in  (wait a few minutes)

^  Repeat

Sometimes you have to repeat that many times;  what you'll be doing is "shocking" the battery UP to about 3.5 - 3.6 vots... then, the PMIC will "see" it and start charging.

The cause of this is that when you shutdown the system halted, but the unit didn't actually power off -- known problem.  If the unit does not power off, force it off with a very long press 12 seconds of the power button.  If the battery runs all the way flat, you'll be right back here again !

Also, to ensure that the unit more reliably powers off, when you shutdown do so by pressing the power buttom to pull up the shutdown dialogue instead of selecting shutdown from the menubar, or elsewhere.

Blush
marcushh777    Cool

please join us for a chat @  irc.pine64.xyz:6667   or ssl  irc.pine64.xyz:6697

( I regret that I am not able to respond to personal messages;  let's meet on irc! )
(08-28-2017, 05:08 AM)MarkHaysHarris777 Wrote:
(08-28-2017, 03:46 AM)p3p1 Wrote: Since I bought my Pinebook I used it for a few times. After a day of use with the battery, I turned it off and now when I try to turn it on I have red battery icon. I followed the procedure 2+ hours (one night) of charging, removed and reinserted the power cables (12 times) and charging for another 1-2hrs, but still no boot. Someone can help me? The battery is gone?

...  you need to open the pinebook up (yes, I'm serious, ten tiny screws, then pop the bottom cover off ).

Carefully unplug the battery with the unit power adapter plugged in;  count 5, plug it back in  (wait a few minutes)

^  Repeat

Sometimes you have to repeat that many times;  what you'll be doing is "shocking" the battery UP to about 3.5 - 3.6 vots... then, the PMIC will "see" it and start charging.

The cause of this is that when you shutdown the system halted, but the unit didn't actually power off -- known problem.  If the unit does not power off, force it off with a very long press 12 seconds of the power button.  If the battery runs all the way flat, you'll be right back here again !

Also, to ensure that the unit more reliably powers off, when you shutdown do so by pressing the power buttom to pull up the shutdown dialogue instead of selecting shutdown from the menubar, or elsewhere.

Blush

I did the procedure almost 20+ times but still red battery icon. Just to recap:

1) power supply should be plugged
2) remove the battery connector (in attached picture), count 5, re-plug it.
3) wait 3+ min and turn on the pinebook

is it right?
Can I do something else? I noted a small battery pads close to battery connector can I use it in some way?
(08-29-2017, 04:53 AM)p3p1 Wrote:

^  Repeat

Blush

is it right?
Can I do something else? I noted a small battery pads close to battery connector can I use it in some way?

no, not quite.

Try:

1) power should be plugged
2) remove the battery connector  ( count 5 )
3) plug battery connector back in and wait 10-20 minutes !
4) repeat if necessary

some people have had to do this many many many times;
marcushh777    Cool

( I regret that I am not able to respond to personal messages;  let's meet on irc! )
(08-29-2017, 05:32 AM)MarkHaysHarris777 Wrote:
(08-29-2017, 04:53 AM)p3p1 Wrote:

^  Repeat

Blush

is it right?

no, not quite.

Try:

1) power should be plugged
2) remove the batter connector  ( count 5 )
3) plug battery connector back in and wait 10-20 minutes !
4) repeat if necessary

some people have had to do this many many many times;

Finally it's working after 23 times. I have a question the right ways to shutdown are the shutdown dialog or press power button (physical button) for 12 sec: is there a way via terminal ?
(08-29-2017, 05:17 PM)p3p1 Wrote: Finally it's working after 23 times. I have a question the right ways to shutdown are the shutdown dialog or press power button (physical button) for 12 sec: is there a way via terminal ?

There are several ways to shutdown and poweroff the system.  The two main (best) ways are following:

1)  press the power button (physical button) briefly which will pull up the dialogue, then click "shutdown"  ;  this will do the  "poweroff" under the covers.

2)  on a terminal enter :

sudo poweroff

shutdown -h now   is deprecated;  since systemd don't use it !

sudo halt  will only shutdown the system;  but it won't poweroff !!
marcushh777    Cool

(08-29-2017, 06:59 PM)MarkHaysHarris777 Wrote:
(08-29-2017, 05:17 PM)p3p1 Wrote: Finally it's working after 23 times. I have a question the right ways to shutdown are the shutdown dialog or press power button (physical button) for 12 sec: is there a way via terminal ?

There are several ways to shutdown and poweroff the system.  The two main (best) ways are following:

1)  press the power button (physical button) briefly which will pull up the dialogue, then click "shutdown"  ;  this will do the  "poweroff" under the covers.

2)  on a terminal enter :

sudo poweroff

shutdown -h now   is deprecated;  since systemd don't use it !

sudo halt  will only shutdown the system;  but it won't poweroff !!

New problem: with pinebook turned on if I remove the power supply it turn off (as if the battery not present). If I re-plug again the power supply the power led blinks and power button doesn't turn on the laptop. In this case only solution to boot is unplug and re-plug the battery connector under the cover. How I can solve this?
Dear Mark hays Harris

Can you provide a new replacement battery which have't the problem of flat?
It seems the battery become flat again after some time I don't use it 1 month! So boring, I can"t use it now!

I t seems completely flat, cannot be charged!

Gavin
One of the annoying things with the Pinebook is that there is no indication that the laptop is charging (or not)... Yesterday we moved to the new office, and I kept Pinebook plugged in for almost a day only to come tomorrow and see it is still not charged, because apparently power plug did not work. If there was any kind of indicator to show whether the laptop is charging or not, I would have known...
(03-19-2018, 08:33 AM)dejan Wrote: One of the annoying things with the Pinebook is that there is no indication that the laptop is charging (or not)... Yesterday we moved to the new office, and I kept Pinebook plugged in for almost a day only to come tomorrow and see it is still not charged, because apparently power plug did not work. If there was any kind of indicator to show whether the laptop is charging or not, I would have known...

Well, there is the orange LED next to the power jack. Its amber when charging.
You can find me on IRC, Discord and Twitter

(03-19-2018, 09:04 AM)Luke Wrote: Well, there is the orange LED next to the power jack. Its amber when charging.

Well, it doesn't always come on! Tongue

Due what I believe to be a bug (or failure to actually set the correct register values for the PMIC) the charge indicator doesn't always come one. For instance, I have had it plugged in and it didn't come on at all. But when you power up the pinebook it will come on, and when you shut it down it continues to function. I spoke with xalius about it several months ago and am pretty sure it was due to it not being configured in uboot, which would have been a good idea, since that is all the runs the pinebook does it's little power up and off cycle when powered up by a "DC power connected" event.

But when it does work it is good Wink

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Dead Pinebook - fix it or spare parts? oloturia 2 2,207 03-19-2023, 03:38 PM
Last Post: oloturia
  Broken bottom case of PineBook 14 Mick 1 919 02-22-2023, 05:49 AM
Last Post: Mick
  Original 14" Pinebook an Orphan? vdicarlo 2 1,256 01-05-2023, 10:42 AM
Last Post: jezek
  Pinebook Users are a nobody leperotero 13 12,585 09-06-2022, 09:29 PM
Last Post: zapper
  Does anybody repair pinebook pro laptops for a fee? Tsvi Bar-David 0 956 09-05-2022, 07:49 PM
Last Post: Tsvi Bar-David
  Pinebook with a broken screen and 2 eMMC's for sale. UK ONLY. frank-zappa 0 1,595 03-08-2022, 10:14 AM
Last Post: frank-zappa
  Pinebook to Pinebook Pro-esque upgrade kit sebboh 5 7,496 08-18-2021, 11:01 PM
Last Post: Corkonian
  Battery life unrealb2 4 5,532 08-01-2021, 12:26 AM
Last Post: unrealb2
  new pinebook help ron_burgundy 5 7,680 12-17-2020, 04:54 PM
Last Post: ron_burgundy
  Few questions about flashing to a MicroSD card on the Pinebook Pro SanjevR 6 9,607 12-07-2020, 04:02 PM
Last Post: SanjevR