Pinebook Users are a nobody
Pinebook users are the lowest of the low.
I'm already tired of seeing how month after month the Community Update doesn't say anything new about Pinebook. No support improvements, no drivers or anything at all.

When will pine64 decide to invest some time in a product with which it has already made money?

Enviado desde mi Mi A1 mediante Tapatalk
Well, you have to keep in mind that Pine64 only does the hardware.  There were plans for a rockchip-based hardware upgrade, but they couldn't get the thermal dissipation sorted out - it would overheat in the small case.

I think there were plans to open new sales in November, but because of the LCD shortages, it was postponed.

As for the software, I think the pinephone and pinetab share a lot of similar architecture, so improvements in e.g. the lima graphics driver will also improve things on the pinebook.  I think the device is supported by the mainline linux kernel, so the best way to get improvements would be to directly work with upstream developers (kernel.org, the mesa project, etc.)
(01-30-2021, 04:24 AM)DusXMT Wrote: Well, you have to keep in mind that Pine64 only does the hardware.  There were plans for a rockchip-based hardware upgrade, but they couldn't get the thermal dissipation sorted out - it would overheat in the small case.

I think there were plans to open new sales in November, but because of the LCD shortages, it was postponed.

As for the software, I think the pinephone and pinetab share a lot of similar architecture, so improvements in e.g. the lima graphics driver will also improve things on the pinebook.  I think the device is supported by the mainline linux kernel, so the best way to get improvements would be to directly work with upstream developers (kernel.org, the mesa project, etc.)
I don't want upgrade my Pinebook, I want can use my Pinebook. I know that Pine64 only does the hardware, but hardware must be done with criteria. For example, if I put speakers in a laptop, I want hear something with It. Or if I put a HDMI output, I want conect a external monitor.

Also, in this thread you can see how the development of the Pinephone kernel has replaced the Pinebook kernel and when replacing the LCD drivers the screen on the Pinebook has stopped working. Yet another example of poor hardware development.

https://forum.armbian.com/topic/15177-bu...-pinebook/

The driver wasn't replaced, there was just an incompatible change that got upstreamed, so now the task is figuring out which patch exactly it is and fixing the problem. Yes, that is work, but it's ultimately the price of buying a community-backed device: the community, the users, are also the developers. And if the community is small, that means that a greater percentage of it has to actually work, e.g. I've helped fix a bunch of bugs related to the pinephone (mostly to running telegram on it - it would crash before)
I wouldn't call it poor hardware development at all. Quite the opposite in fact. The problem is that the Pinebook Pro makes the Pinebook obsolete! Maybe it's time to get on the NetBSD bandwagon, where obsolete doesn't matter. That probably means getting involved in development.
I wouldn't call the pinebook fully obsolete, its form factor allows it to be much more portable than the pinebook pro, which would make it a wonderful device to use in a train or a plane, or outside in general when you don't want to deploy a large and bulky device - I plan on buying it for this purpose. But yes, the comment with getting involved in development also applies to Linux on devices like these.
(01-30-2021, 09:36 AM)DusXMT Wrote: I wouldn't call the pinebook fully obsolete, its form factor allows it to be much more portable than the pinebook pro, which would make it a wonderful device to use in a train or a plane, or outside in general when you don't want to deploy a large and bulky device - I plan on buying it for this purpose. But yes, the comment with getting involved in development also applies to Linux on devices like these.
Yes, I can yo use in the train with vim, Gcc, gfortran, awk, sed, bash, SSH conection, everthing but from the terminal like in 1980.

Not fully obsolete. But if you were a software developer, and had to choose one to work on, you wouldn't choose the one that almost nobody has, and might not even exist in its current form by the time your project is polished. (Say new Pinebooks are produced with a different chipset, and old ones are retrofitted.)
(01-29-2021, 08:50 PM)leperotero Wrote: Pinebook users are the lowest of the low.
I'm already tired of seeing how month after month the Community Update doesn't say anything new about Pinebook. No support improvements, no drivers or anything at all.

When will pine64 decide to invest some time in a product with which it has already made money?

If you want to really find the "lowest of the low"

Look for anyone who uses a stock bios, windows or chrome os or apple and someone who has an unhealthy obsession in x86, particularly,  the newer ones. Especially the ones that cannot be corebooted and/or have the intel me disabled or equvelant

Each one of those sections, proprietary os, x86 due to tnot being able to disable backdoors always on within hardware

The first is clearly the worst, but the second one, is also bad too. 

I have been thinking about pocket mnt reform lately...

But I have also been wondering, what pinebook can handle and can't handle due to not knowing how long it will take to buy a pocket mnt reform.

opus files and focuswriter is why I have interest in this right now, as an aside.

But yeah, I detest being stuck with x86, because of the "cool crowd" or as they should be called, the "stubborn donkey crowd"

(01-30-2021, 03:32 PM)KC9UDX Wrote: Not fully obsolete.  But if you were a software developer, and had to choose one to work on, you wouldn't choose the one that almost nobody has, and might not even exist in its current form by the time your project is polished.  (Say new Pinebooks are produced with a different chipset, and old ones are retrofitted.)

This is the reason, that I detest the "I love x86 crowd" because they love it so much, they will not even look at the alternatives even though, they are holding back progress... because again, stubborn, impatience, wins far too often, in the worst way possible...

so Capitalism...

:/

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Dead Pinebook - fix it or spare parts? oloturia 2 2,183 03-19-2023, 03:38 PM
Last Post: oloturia
  Broken bottom case of PineBook 14 Mick 1 900 02-22-2023, 05:49 AM
Last Post: Mick
  Original 14" Pinebook an Orphan? vdicarlo 2 1,220 01-05-2023, 10:42 AM
Last Post: jezek
  Does anybody repair pinebook pro laptops for a fee? Tsvi Bar-David 0 945 09-05-2022, 07:49 PM
Last Post: Tsvi Bar-David
  Pinebook with a broken screen and 2 eMMC's for sale. UK ONLY. frank-zappa 0 1,577 03-08-2022, 10:14 AM
Last Post: frank-zappa
  Pinebook to Pinebook Pro-esque upgrade kit sebboh 5 7,448 08-18-2021, 11:01 PM
Last Post: Corkonian
  new pinebook help ron_burgundy 5 7,641 12-17-2020, 04:54 PM
Last Post: ron_burgundy
  Few questions about flashing to a MicroSD card on the Pinebook Pro SanjevR 6 9,543 12-07-2020, 04:02 PM
Last Post: SanjevR
  TOR Browser on the Pinebook Pro jay3gg 0 2,959 11-16-2020, 01:25 AM
Last Post: jay3gg
  Pinebook doesn't charge anymore Reinoud 4 7,983 11-15-2020, 10:26 PM
Last Post: pagesix1536