Pinebook's battery flat on arrival
Information 
It appears that many peoples' Pinebooks arrived with completely drained batteries. This has likely been caused by the units not being shut down poperly at the factory: 

Quote:13:35:07 <tllim> @ayufan, we suspect production people not totally shut down during production time 

For those unfortunate of you who received their Pinebooks with flat batteries please let the units charge for a long time - 2hrs at the very least. 

If you still get a flashing red battery symbol on the screen after 2+hrs or charing, remove and reinsert the power cable a few times (10+) and let it charge for another few hours. 

This issue with be addressed for future shipments. 

If you have any further questions or experience problems make sure to post below or join in the IRC. You can also file a support ticket if need be here.
You can find me on IRC, Discord and Twitter

My Pinebook arrived with flat batteries, but I just assumed it normal. No problem after charging for a while. I noticed a symbol of a large battery on the screen as soon as inserted the external power charger. So I knew the screen and the system functioned well. At the moment I can do a complete working day on a full charge, so no complaints here.

Erik
Delft (NL)
Mine arrived flat too. No biggie. Happened to my Surpace Pro and Thinkpad as well.

I'm more annoyed by the stuck green pixel and the absolute horrid packing job.
(06-26-2017, 02:48 PM)MarshalDan Wrote: Mine arrived flat too. No biggie. Happened to my Surpace Pro and Thinkpad as well.

Yup. I've got a dead pixel on mine as well
(06-26-2017, 03:51 PM)Nierika Wrote:
(06-26-2017, 02:48 PM)MarshalDan Wrote: Mine arrived flat too. No biggie. Happened to my Surpace Pro and Thinkpad as well.

Yup. I've got a dead pixel on mine as well

It doesn't bother me all that much during use. Buts its the principle of the thing, you know? Even if its a 99 dollar device. 

They clearly QC'd it enough to forget it in sleep mode. So they cant say they didnt notice. If you powered it on, you noticed. No self respecting QC-tech would call this a pass. I know, because quality inspection used to be my job.

Oh well. Its good enough to throw in my bag for range and field days. It seems to run SDR and the electronic targeting software fine.
I faced a siilar situation with my Pinebook. The battery was completely drained when I received it. Initially I was worried that I got a defective piece but that was not the case. I kept it on charging for 6+ hours & returned to see that it was working. The pinebook logo looks awesome on screen boot.

Now I'm currently using the pinebook. Pretty well designed for my basic requirement. Will test it out throughly in the next couple of days.
Mine arrived flat, the battery took maybe 3-4 hours to charge. Also, the charger (US plug) is very flimsy and the plug that goes into the laptop can be moved up and down and in and out of the rubber sleeve. For obvious reasons I haven't pulled on it hard, but I think it would just come out if I tried.

I doubt the adapter would pass any actual standard or regulation in America.
My battery was also flat, but after 2 hours I could switch it on (37% charged).
PowerSupply semms to be OK, but I also orderes the USB cable for using a different powersupply Smile
(06-26-2017, 10:52 AM)Luke Wrote: It appears that many peoples' Pinebooks arrived with completely drained batteries. This has likely been caused by the units not being shut down poperly at the factory: 

Quote:13:35:07 <tllim> @ayufan, we suspect production people not totally shut down during production time 

For those unfortunate of you who received their Pinebooks with flat batteries please let the units charge for a long time - 2hrs at the very least. 

If you still get a flashing red battery symbol on the screen after 2+hrs or charing, remove and reinsert the power cable a few times (10+) and let it charge for another few hours. 

If you have any further questions or experience problems make sure to post below or join in the IRC. You can also file a support ticket if need be here.

There seems to be a problem with the power management IC not reliably shutting down the system after being notified of a shutdown; either the notice doesn't happen, or get through, or the IC fails to act. Whatever the issue, the system runs at a low level of power drain until the battery goes flat or you notice it failed to shut off completely. (If you see this, hold down the power key until it shuts down hard.) Likely the factory techs miss this as the indications are subtle and they may not be aware of the flaw. Make sure you have complete shutdown.
"Get your facts straight first, then distort them as you wish." -- Mark Twain
(08-25-2017, 11:31 AM)Siliconserf Wrote:
(06-26-2017, 10:52 AM)Luke Wrote: It appears that many peoples' Pinebooks arrived with completely drained batteries. This has likely been caused by the units not being shut down poperly at the factory: 

There seems to be a problem with the power management IC not reliably shutting down the system after being notified of a shutdown; either the notice doesn't happen, or get through, or the IC fails to act. Whatever the issue, the system runs at a low level of power drain until the battery goes flat or you notice it failed to shut off completely. (If you see this, hold down the power key until it shuts down hard.) Likely the factory techs miss this as the indications are subtle and they may not be aware of the flaw. Make sure you have complete shutdown.

Since I bought my Pinebook I used it for a few times. After a day of use with the battery, I turned it off and now when I try to turn it on I have red battery icon. I followed the procedure 2+ hours (one night) of charging, removed and reinserted the power cables (12 times) and charging for another 1-2hrs, but still no boot. Someone can help me? The battery is gone?

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Dead Pinebook - fix it or spare parts? oloturia 2 2,209 03-19-2023, 03:38 PM
Last Post: oloturia
  Broken bottom case of PineBook 14 Mick 1 920 02-22-2023, 05:49 AM
Last Post: Mick
  Original 14" Pinebook an Orphan? vdicarlo 2 1,259 01-05-2023, 10:42 AM
Last Post: jezek
  Pinebook Users are a nobody leperotero 13 12,592 09-06-2022, 09:29 PM
Last Post: zapper
  Does anybody repair pinebook pro laptops for a fee? Tsvi Bar-David 0 956 09-05-2022, 07:49 PM
Last Post: Tsvi Bar-David
  Pinebook with a broken screen and 2 eMMC's for sale. UK ONLY. frank-zappa 0 1,596 03-08-2022, 10:14 AM
Last Post: frank-zappa
  Pinebook to Pinebook Pro-esque upgrade kit sebboh 5 7,499 08-18-2021, 11:01 PM
Last Post: Corkonian
  Battery life unrealb2 4 5,534 08-01-2021, 12:26 AM
Last Post: unrealb2
  new pinebook help ron_burgundy 5 7,683 12-17-2020, 04:54 PM
Last Post: ron_burgundy
  Few questions about flashing to a MicroSD card on the Pinebook Pro SanjevR 6 9,608 12-07-2020, 04:02 PM
Last Post: SanjevR