Bricked Pinebook?
(06-01-2017, 01:16 PM)CaptainZalo Wrote:
(06-01-2017, 09:15 AM)Luke Wrote: Guidol, yea me too.

Anyways, CaptainZalo why not just boot up from SD and then format the eMMC (it mounts on boot) ? See if that gives you any errors. If it doesn't then try reflashing eMMC

edit: Or try put it into FEL (using ayufans boot-tools) and reformat eMMC

I ordered an eMMC-to-µSD adapter. I'll need it for one of my other projects anyway. The pinebook is happily running android 7.1 at the moment, and my (3 year old) son is hogging it.

Yes, other than a dev device, its also great fun for kids Wink
You can find me on IRC, Discord and Twitter

(06-01-2017, 01:16 PM)CaptainZalo Wrote: I ordered an eMMC-to-µSD adapter. I'll need it for one of my other projects anyway. The pinebook is happily running android 7.1 at the moment, and my (3 year old) son is hogging it.

Please let us know how you go with that... will be nice to know if that is a compatible adapter or not Wink I do remember some discussion about the hardkernel adaper before, but I just can't remember if it was determined that it was or was not compatible.
(06-01-2017, 01:16 PM)CaptainZalo Wrote:
(06-01-2017, 09:15 AM)Luke Wrote: Guidol, yea me too.

Anyways, CaptainZalo why not just boot up from SD and then format the eMMC (it mounts on boot) ? See if that gives you any errors. If it doesn't then try reflashing eMMC

edit: Or try put it into FEL (using ayufans boot-tools) and reformat eMMC

I ordered an eMMC-to-µSD adapter. I'll need it for one of my other projects anyway. The pinebook is happily running android 7.1 at the moment, and my (3 year old) son is hogging it.

haha  You need your own Dad...
Blush
marcushh777    Cool

please join us for a chat @  irc.pine64.xyz:6667   or ssl  irc.pine64.xyz:6697

( I regret that I am not able to respond to personal messages;  let's meet on irc! )
(06-01-2017, 03:17 PM)Luke Wrote: edit: Or try put it into FEL (using ayufans boot-tools) and reformat eMMC

Uhm. How do I go about doing this?
I have about a kilogramme of µSD-cards lying around, and dedicating an 8gig one to such a recovery tool would be most valuable.
(06-05-2017, 04:47 AM)CaptainZalo Wrote:
(06-01-2017, 03:17 PM)Luke Wrote: edit: Or try put it into FEL (using ayufans boot-tools) and reformat eMMC

I have about a kilogramme of µSD-cards lying around, and dedicating an 8gig one to such a recovery tool would be most valuable.

You don't need a SD card. You will however need to open the Pinebook to press a button on the inside (repeatedly). This is what you will need. Other than that I am not sure if you can do it from windows (think it will only work on nix - so linux or macos). 

Again tho, I would just boot from SD card and try formating the eMMC (perhaps using the slow format option) first.

(06-05-2017, 05:26 AM)Luke Wrote:

You don't need a SD card. You will however need to open the Pinebook to press a button on the inside (repeatedly). This is what you will need. Other than that I am not sure if you can do it from windows (think it will only work on nix - so linux or macos). 

Again tho, I would just boot from SD card and try formating the eMMC (perhaps using the slow format option) first.

Following, intently !
Confused
marcushh777    Cool

please join us for a chat @  irc.pine64.xyz:6667   or ssl  irc.pine64.xyz:6697

( I regret that I am not able to respond to personal messages;  let's meet on irc! )
(06-05-2017, 08:51 AM)MarkHaysHarris777 Wrote:

Following, intently !
Confused

It worked. Fdisk and remove all partitions then reformat worked. After that it installed Mate straight off the bat.
That buttonmashing is messy stuff. :-) A keypress combo or a reset-hole for a paperclip would be great for the next revision.
I got the other eMMC in the mail today. Since the onboard eMMC runs ubuntu mate and the sdcard runs android 7.1, I won't mess with it for a few days.
(06-06-2017, 04:39 PM)CaptainZalo Wrote:
(06-05-2017, 08:51 AM)MarkHaysHarris777 Wrote:

Following, intently !
Confused

It worked. Fdisk and remove all partitions then reformat worked. After that it installed Mate straight off the bat.
That buttonmashing is messy stuff. :-) A keypress combo or a reset-hole for a paperclip would be great for the next revision.
I got the other eMMC in the mail today. Since the onboard eMMC runs ubuntu mate and the sdcard runs android 7.1, I won't mess with it for a few days.

Very glad to hear. For the record, you can use scripts to update the kernel / uboot and packages to the newest (even pre-release) as per ayufan's instructions in his git. So no need to re-flash the eMMC per se in the future, unless something brand new comes along.

The eMMC to microSD adapter arrived yesterday. It's a bit silly in way of design, so it won't work in the sd slot on the pinebook due to slidelock. But with a slight press, it initialized and mounted. I've tested two usb adapters too, and the adapter works well. I say go for it.
(06-10-2017, 12:16 AM)CaptainZalo Wrote: The eMMC to microSD adapter arrived yesterday. It's a bit silly in way of design, so it won't work in the sd slot on the pinebook due to slidelock. But with a slight press, it initialized and mounted. I've tested two usb adapters too, and the adapter works well. I say go for it.

Great to hear! (and that you got the eMMC back up and running in the meantime as well). Can I just confirm that you got the super expensive hardkernel oneTongue  Big Grin

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Dead Pinebook - fix it or spare parts? oloturia 2 2,207 03-19-2023, 03:38 PM
Last Post: oloturia
  Broken bottom case of PineBook 14 Mick 1 919 02-22-2023, 05:49 AM
Last Post: Mick
  Original 14" Pinebook an Orphan? vdicarlo 2 1,256 01-05-2023, 10:42 AM
Last Post: jezek
  Pinebook Users are a nobody leperotero 13 12,585 09-06-2022, 09:29 PM
Last Post: zapper
  Does anybody repair pinebook pro laptops for a fee? Tsvi Bar-David 0 956 09-05-2022, 07:49 PM
Last Post: Tsvi Bar-David
  Pinebook with a broken screen and 2 eMMC's for sale. UK ONLY. frank-zappa 0 1,595 03-08-2022, 10:14 AM
Last Post: frank-zappa
  Pinebook to Pinebook Pro-esque upgrade kit sebboh 5 7,496 08-18-2021, 11:01 PM
Last Post: Corkonian
  new pinebook help ron_burgundy 5 7,680 12-17-2020, 04:54 PM
Last Post: ron_burgundy
  Few questions about flashing to a MicroSD card on the Pinebook Pro SanjevR 6 9,607 12-07-2020, 04:02 PM
Last Post: SanjevR
  TOR Browser on the Pinebook Pro jay3gg 0 2,974 11-16-2020, 01:25 AM
Last Post: jay3gg