NVMe Adapter Ribbon Cable
I just received my PBP and wanted to install an SSD. Call me stupid but I don't see how I'm supposed to attach that ribbon cable. It just doesn't reach  Huh

https://1drv.ms/u/s!AtZRFaGayca5jqs0ZBkn...Q?e=vj7V2N
It does fit, but it requires some folding. What I did was attached the ribbon cable to the 2 boards, then loosely started the 3 screws to retain the adapter board. Once the screws were started, I held the "fold" of the ribbon cable as I tightened the screws down.

Be mindful, that with the current adapter board, use of 80mm drives will require modifications, whereas 60 and 42mm drives do not.
(01-02-2020, 12:50 PM)tophneal Wrote: It does fit, but it requires some folding. What I did was attached the ribbon cable to the 2 boards, then loosely started the 3 screws to retain the adapter board. Once the screws were started, I held the "fold" of the ribbon cable as I tightened the screws down.

Be mindful, that with the current adapter board, use of 80mm drives will require modifications, whereas 60 and 42mm drives do not.

Thanks, I was just a bit too chicken to fold it that much... Turned out the SSD I had here is actually a SATA one so I'll hold off on the extension for now but it's good too know the board is actually usable after all ^^"
I made that same mistake, too. Luckily I had an enclosure arrive the day before the drive. There's not a wide selection, but if you want to get a drive that others have confirmed working, checkout the Pinebook Pro Accessories wiki page for the list of drives some of our members are using right now.
(01-02-2020, 12:50 PM)tophneal Wrote: Be mindful, that with the current adapter board, use of 80mm drives will require modifications, whereas 60 and 42mm drives do not.
Is this a different issue than the original adapters pushing on the trackpad?
(01-02-2020, 03:15 PM)Redbeard Wrote:
(01-02-2020, 12:50 PM)tophneal Wrote: Be mindful, that with the current adapter board, use of 80mm drives will require modifications, whereas 60 and 42mm drives do not.

No. Same issue. Only seems to occur, or at least cause problems, with the use of 80mm drives. 42mm drives are confirmed to not cause the issue, I don't think anyone's tried a 60mm drive yet. I should've replaced 60mm in my last post with 32(?)mm.
(01-02-2020, 03:22 PM)tophneal Wrote:
(01-02-2020, 03:15 PM)Redbeard Wrote:

No. Same issue. Only seems to occur, or at least cause problems, with the use of 80mm drives. 42mm drives are confirmed to not cause the issue, I don't think anyone's tried a 60mm drive yet. I should've replaced 60mm in my last post with 32(?)mm.

Thanks.  As I noted on another thread, I don't have my PBP yet and am trying to learn what I can from the forums and wiki in the meantime.  Based on the picture in this post, and your explanation, I take it that the issue is that a long drive with the original long adapter was too thick for the trackpad, but that if one or both are shorter it should fit.  Assuming I'm understanding this correctly,  I should be able to fit an 80mm drive* with the newer shorter version of the adapter (once my PBP and the NVME adapter I ordered arrive).  However, it also sounds like all else being equal I would prefer to have a shorter drive with the shorter adapter, which would remove even a single board width interference with the trackpad.   Looking at newegg I see that they only have one M keyed 42 mm drive (albeit in three different capacities).  I might order one of those and try it in the PBP.

*I have a 1 TB Intel 660p Series M.2 2280 drive in my linux desktop that looks very promising from a power draw perspective.  I'd like to at least try to get it working in my PBP long enough to justify adding it to the compatible hardware wiki doc.
Just in case I didn't misread your reply, I was pretty confused and thought it was already fixed, but there is currently no word on the updated adapter board and you will receive the current version.

That's the one that presses against the trackpad when used as-is, with the retainer and an 80mm drive.

I do hope we see the updated adapter soon, and hopefully with some kind of built in power protection to keep the drive from draining the battery too low.
**   If you can find the post,  Daniel T made a 80mm NVME drive work,
>    He cut the adapter short of the track pad, then used a cable tie to hold the drive to the adapter.
>   He gave a very detailed description of how he accomplished this, including some pictures. It looked pretty good.
      LINUX = CHOICES
         **BCnAZ**
               Idea
   Donate to $upport
your favorite OS Team
See : "Pro NVMe adapter does not fit" Post number 50
      LINUX = CHOICES
         **BCnAZ**
               Idea
   Donate to $upport
your favorite OS Team

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Pinebook Pro Source for Trackpad Flex / Ribbon Cable rankharris 1 181 02-17-2024, 07:06 PM
Last Post: tllim
  New Working nVME gilwood 0 156 02-12-2024, 08:46 AM
Last Post: gilwood
  NVME problems 2022 / Intel 660p 1TB Starbug 1 1,422 04-04-2023, 12:16 PM
Last Post: globaltree
Thumbs Up NVMe adapter, Great addition dachalife 2 1,727 11-28-2022, 12:56 PM
Last Post: dachalife
  NVMe drives not detected mattpenn 12 10,046 03-05-2022, 04:53 AM
Last Post: mattpenn
  NVme intall usage? tkudog 2 2,796 03-04-2022, 01:29 AM
Last Post: Tazdevl
  Anyone selling a spare NVMe adapter in Europe? tom.tomasz 1 1,795 01-03-2022, 07:57 AM
Last Post: tom.tomasz
  NVMe-related crashes and instability, plus a solution simonsouth 13 14,370 12-10-2021, 07:47 PM
Last Post: josmo
  Mini-Howto: ROCK64 USB 3.0 WIFI Adapter (Rabbit-ear) on Manjaro Dendrocalamus64 1 2,318 11-14-2021, 03:41 PM
Last Post: Dendrocalamus64
  NVMe SSD testing methodology halogen 1 2,556 07-22-2021, 05:57 PM
Last Post: calinb