Welcome, Guest
You have to register before you can post on our site.

Username

Password

(Advanced Search)

Forum Statistics
» Members: 28,526
» Latest member: Garesdq1d
» Forum threads: 15,852
» Forum posts: 115,336

Full Statistics

Latest Threads
July 1 upgrade of Mobian ...
Forum: PinePhone Pro Software
Last Post: mburns
Today, 09:56 AM
» Replies: 3
» Views: 725
desktop and lockscreen
Forum: Mobian on PinePhone
Last Post: biketool
Yesterday, 05:11 AM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 51
No HDMI Video - Anything ...
Forum: General Discussion on ROCKPRO64
Last Post: angrymallard
Yesterday, 04:58 AM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 26
2024 Sep 21 - PinePhonePr...
Forum: General Discussion of PinePhone Pro
Last Post: biketool
Yesterday, 04:16 AM
» Replies: 8
» Views: 2,246
bookworm vs trixie discus...
Forum: Mobian on PinePhone
Last Post: zetabeta
Yesterday, 12:41 AM
» Replies: 36
» Views: 6,634
Can't install some softwa...
Forum: General Discussion on PineTab
Last Post: mikehenson
09-24-2024, 07:49 AM
» Replies: 2
» Views: 127
Testing Some More Games o...
Forum: General Discussion on Pinebook Pro
Last Post: pigkang
09-24-2024, 01:43 AM
» Replies: 5
» Views: 3,435
Pinetab 2 Not Powering On...
Forum: General
Last Post: dachalife
09-23-2024, 12:00 PM
» Replies: 2
» Views: 137
Developing on Mac (M3)
Forum: Development Discussion on PineTime
Last Post: oksalahti
09-23-2024, 01:27 AM
» Replies: 1
» Views: 74
Need Help Choosing the Ri...
Forum: General
Last Post: tllim
09-22-2024, 06:28 PM
» Replies: 1
» Views: 112

HDMI Issue...
Posted by: LeRoms77 - 04-13-2016, 08:33 AM - Forum: General Discussion on PINE A64(+) - Replies (4)

Hello devs, is there a way to use a DVI monitor with adapter HDMI->DVI right now, if not are you planning to make this change. The vast majority of monitors are DVI or VGA, so the board is almost useless right now.

Thanks in advance

Assembly Programming in Pine64
Posted by: mustaphos - 04-13-2016, 05:29 AM - Forum: Linux on Pine A64(+) - Replies (8)

Is it possible to program the pine64 in pure assembly?
If it is possible in which compiler can i program it and how can i upload my code to the board?
For example: Get 2 64 bit numbers from memory, add them in registers and store them in the memory?

Getting started using OSX
Posted by: cranchh - 04-12-2016, 11:00 PM - Forum: Getting Started - Replies (17)

I didn't find any info about how to start using pine if you have OSX and can't run PhoenixCard so I decided to write this guide:

What you need:

1. Ubuntu image (or other image I only tested Ubuntu)
  2. Terminal
How:
  1. Open terminal and run 
    sudo diskutil list
  2. Find your SDCard - easiest way is to find the disk in the right size - should be in the format /dev/disk2. 
  3. Format the card using the following command - make sure to change the disk number to what you found in step 2

sudo diskutil eraseDisk FAT32 MYDISKNAME MBRFormat /dev/disk2
  4. Unmount your disk using the following command - make sure to change the disk number to what you found in step 2

sudo umount /dev/disk2Make sure that the next line confirm that the disk is not mounted
  5. Unmount all sub-prtitions (if you didn't skip step 3 the card should only have one) in the disk using the following command - make sure to change the disk number to what you found in step 2

sudo diskutil umount /dev/disk2s1Make sure that the next line confirm that the disk is not mounted
  6. Go to the location where the Ubuntu image is
  7.  Run the following command to extract the image to the disk- make sure to change the disk number to what you found in step 2
    sudo dd bs=4m if=Ubuntu_image_file.img of=/dev/disk2

The last command will take ~30min to complete and will result in a success message of how many bytes were transferred to the card.Good luck!

Cannot detect keyboard
Posted by: dragoon - 04-12-2016, 08:31 PM - Forum: Linux on Pine A64(+) - Replies (8)

I have tried to build the pine64 image by using the steps given in https://github.com/longsleep/build-pine64-image with kernel 3.10 from BSP not the mainline kernel. I can reach the login page but cant use the keyboard.

I have compare the syslog generated from the downloaded image and my image, found the differences as follows:

Log generated from downloaded image:
[Image: iSvREoXl.png]

Log from my image:
[Image: hr3LZDYl.png]

Any ideas on this? Huh

IRC channel?
Posted by: wmat - 04-12-2016, 08:28 PM - Forum: Community and Events - Replies (21)

I see that there's a pine64 channel on freenode, but myself and 1 other person are the only ones there.  Is there an official IRC channel?  My nick is wmat, fwiw.  2GB board, haven't got it to boot yet.

Bug ETA for solution for DMA problem for Arch Linux image & A64+ 2 GB boards?
Posted by: faddah - 04-12-2016, 04:18 PM - Forum: Getting Started - Replies (16)

hi all,

i am the owner of a Pine64 A64+ board with 2 GB RAM.

i got three more 64 GB MicroSD cards to load different OS's for the Pine64 and try them out. i went to load the Arch Linux image, but then saw the following warning message on the Pine64 wiki entry on software downloads — 

"This version of image is not suitable for PineA64 with 2GB Memory due to a bug involving DMA data transfer with the gigabit ethernet."

so... is there any ETA on when/how this might be fixed?
is it a firmware fix i'll need to down load and run on the A64+ board?
is it an update to ubuntu i'll need to run?
is it both?

please advise as soon as anyone knows on this. this is kind of a bummer for those of us who spent the extra $ on the larger capacity boards.

thanx in advance.

best,

—  faddah
     portland, oregon, u.s.a.

Worked first time, but anoying speaker clicks
Posted by: ecotack - 04-12-2016, 04:12 PM - Forum: Android on Pine A64(+) - Replies (11)

I followed all the instructions on the Wiki.  Using a cheap 2A power supply (nothing fancy), Transcend 32GB UHS-1 card, LG D2342 monitor and a £9 air mouse.  Initial boot takes a while. Eventually Android loaded, at which point I launched the Play store, then I connected the LAN (it helps).

As a test I installed Kodi and am currently watching a 1080p movie located on my NAS.  I was surprised it just worked.  Might try something more adventurous tomorrow.

The only problem is when I change screens or launch an app I get a loud click over the speakers.  It could just be my speaker setup, but is anyone else getting the same?

Exclamation recurring blank screen on A64+ with ubuntu image & any desktop gui
Posted by: faddah - 04-12-2016, 04:00 PM - Forum: Getting Started - Replies (5)

hi all,

i'm writing about a recurring, annoying issue. here's my set-up —

• Pine64 A64+ board with 2 GB RAM
  • ubuntu image running from @longsleep's ubuntu image 20160403-1, on a class-10, uhs-3 MicrosSD (thank you, @longsleep!)
  • also, after running the script to expand the partition to use the whole MicroSD, i installed the xdesktop-ubuntu for a window manager/gui (but i have also seen this happen on Mate or XFCE4).
when using the xdesktop-ubuntu window manager/gui (or Mate)(or XFCE), the desktop works fine for a while, but then randomly (and i haven't any one thing that causes it — could happen while dragging a window somewhere else on the screen, could be when i open a second or third window or app, could be during a long apt-get install, often, after a while, after log-in, it goes straight into the blank screen every time) it goes to a blank screen that i can't get any response from the keyboard or the mouse. i end up having to cycle the power on the board and restart to get out of it, every time. after a while, as i stated above, it tends, after gui log-in, to go straight to the blank screen, every time. i then have to unplug the board and let rest/sit for about a half an hour or more before trying again.

the blank screen can be a variety of colors — all light green (like the Mate desktop color scheme or the background pic i chose for xdesktop/ubuntu; could be flat slate grey; could be all light grey/white. it depends on what was last on the screen before the blank screen freezes everything.
  • any ideas on how to solve this or get out of it without a restart when the blank screen problem hits?
  • has anyone else seen this?
  • anyone have any solutions to this?
  • is it a heat/heat sync issue? do i need a fan on the board?
  • is it going to be an upcoming firmware fix to the board? a fix to the ubuntu image? both?
  • is this similar to the DMA problem i read about on with the a64+ 2 GB board with the Arch Linux image issue?
any help in getting this resolved, please, so i don't have to restart the board a couple dozen times a day to get things installed or done would be most appreciated. thanx in advance.

best,

—  faddah
     portland, oregon, u.s.a.

Question getting weird blank screen when ssh'ing into A64+
Posted by: faddah - 04-12-2016, 03:07 PM - Forum: Getting Started - No Replies

hi folks,

i have my Pine64 A64+ w/ 2GB set up with a 64GB MicroSD card running @longsleep's ubuntu image with xubuntu-desktop for a window manager/gui.

when i attempt to ssh into the board over a network, it usually works great. but lately, i've just been getting a blank screen with on line saying i'm logged in as 'ubuntu' (the admin user name). then no command prompt, none of the other usual info about the board or the OS, just a blank screen and flashing cursor, and nothing else, no typing or key combinations get any response —

[Image: yIAZtEC.jpg]

is there any key combination i can send it via ssh that would take me back to a real command prompt or would restart the board?

and before you folks say it — yes, i am aware i could walk across the room and just cycle power on the Pine64 A64+ Board, but i'm talking about a solution if i'm ssh'ing into the board from somewhere else remotely, as i am often wont to do.

any help, here, please, would be appreciated. thanx in advance.

best,

—  faddah
     portland, oregon, u.s.a.

Question Step By Step How To Install Ubuntu Image
Posted by: damikeh - 04-12-2016, 12:18 PM - Forum: Ubuntu - Replies (47)

Steps to install Ubuntu
I am using a Windows Desktop, so the steps covered here will show that.

Pre-Install setup

1. Download the latest image from longsleeps folder (https://www.stdin.xyz/downloads/people/l...es/ubuntu/)
  2. Download Win32Imager (https://sourceforge.net/projects/win32di...t/download)
  3. Have some kind of extraction capabilities (May i suggest 7zip - http://www.7-zip.org)
  4. Have a Micro SD card (and adapter to enable it to plug into a USB port) ready, at least 8GB (Class 10 if you can)
  5. Have a decent power supply (at least 2a) and shorter cables are better.
Note: Some other images that I’ve tested with (Android and RemixOS) require Phoenix Card to write the image, which isn’t covered here. Please see the other forum/wiki posts.

Setup

1. Extract the image, and Install the Win32Imager somewhere (preferably the same folder!)
  2. Open Win32imager and write the image to the SD card (ensure you have the SD card selected!)
  3. Once the write has completed, MAKE SURE you safely remove the USB drive from the PC – not doing so may harm the write process.
  4. Remove the SD card and put in the Pine64. Ensure you only have the REQUIRED peripherals connected, Keyboard, HDMI, and I would say LAN too, THEN connect the power.
  5. Let the Pine64 boot. When completed, use username: ubuntu and password: ubuntu to login; it’s also worth mentioning that once you see the login screen, you CAN ssh into the pine64 also, if you so prefer.
  6. Once logged in, run the following:  /usr/local/sbin/resize_rootfs.sh
    this will resize the / partition to fill the SD card.
  7. Profit!
Congratulations, you should now have a working system.
From here you can install MATE (for a desktop) or carry on in term mode and get using.
I would change the default password asap, and secure it with a ssh key.

If this is helpful to anyone, please let me know. 
I may have a look at doing a video tomorrow if I get time, showing the steps above - if that would be helpful to anyone.

Cheers
dm