Welcome, Guest
You have to register before you can post on our site.

Username

Password

(Advanced Search)

Forum Statistics
» Members: 28,527
» Latest member: kirimayne
» Forum threads: 15,853
» Forum posts: 115,339

Full Statistics

Latest Threads
Some Suspense.... Camerra...
Forum: Mobian on PinePhone
Last Post: Kevin Kofler
Yesterday, 03:28 PM
» Replies: 2
» Views: 59
July 1 upgrade of Mobian ...
Forum: PinePhone Pro Software
Last Post: mburns
09-26-2024, 09:56 AM
» Replies: 3
» Views: 741
desktop and lockscreen
Last Post: biketool
09-25-2024, 05:11 AM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 65
No HDMI Video - Anything ...
Forum: General Discussion on ROCKPRO64
Last Post: angrymallard
09-25-2024, 04:58 AM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 43
2024 Sep 21 - PinePhonePr...
Forum: General Discussion of PinePhone Pro
Last Post: biketool
09-25-2024, 04:16 AM
» Replies: 8
» Views: 2,333
bookworm vs trixie discus...
Last Post: zetabeta
09-25-2024, 12:41 AM
» Replies: 36
» Views: 6,646
Can't install some softwa...
Forum: General Discussion on PineTab
Last Post: mikehenson
09-24-2024, 07:49 AM
» Views: 147
Testing Some More Games o...
Forum: General Discussion on Pinebook Pro
Last Post: pigkang
09-24-2024, 01:43 AM
» Replies: 5
» Views: 3,441
Pinetab 2 Not Powering On...
Forum: General
Last Post: dachalife
09-23-2024, 12:00 PM
» Views: 156
Developing on Mac (M3)
Forum: Development Discussion on PineTime
Last Post: oksalahti
09-23-2024, 01:27 AM
» Replies: 1
» Views: 85

Sad Well it happened....
Posted by: T3charmy - 05-07-2016, 09:04 PM - Forum: General Discussion on PINE A64(+) - Replies (9)

Had a cord strung across the floor, my dog ran across the room, and tripped over the cord and yanked my pine across the room. Sad

Managed to yank the USB power brick out the wall, and almost pulled my TV off the dresser. Man the Pine has some good solder joints! any other board probably would have lost a Micro USB connector...

My Acrylic enclosure on the other hand ... well it didn't do so well. 

Side note: does anyone know if backers are still able to get the discounted items from the store? Wanting to buy a 2nd pine, and 2 more acrylic cases....

Pine64 Cluster economy
Posted by: baryluk - 05-07-2016, 06:05 PM - Forum: Cluster Computing - Replies (5)

Hi,

I was interested how the Pine64 with its very low price would stand up against other approaches. I am interested mostly in mixed CPU intensive workload. Some floating point, but also some unstructured code.

I have chosen povray, as easily available benchmark, and something that might be actually close to what I would like to test and run on pine64 cluster.

Even if results are negative I might consider pine just for distributed software development and testing. But if the economy is on a bad side, it will not make it very practical replacement for other computing platforms.

I explicitly excluded GPUs, as they are in their specific domain, will deliver best performance, both in absolute terms, and probably in perf/W and perf/$. But development for them isn't that easy and they are not suited for generic codes.

I had an access to one PINE64+ and one PC with relatively modern Intel CPU (Sandy Bridge architecture, i3930K 3.2GHz running at 4.2GHz).

Running Debian testing / unstable.

I compiled povray manually from debian sources (povray 3.7.0), with gcc 6.1 on amd64, and gcc 7.0 (custom built git version from few days ago), on aarch64. This way I got about 15% performance improvement both on Sandy Bridge CPU and on A64 SoC. Debian generic packages in testing/unstable are already compiled with -O3, but without specific -march or -mtune options to tune instruction scheduling, use cache information, etc and such.

(Note that Sandy Bridge lacks AVX and AVX2, but I doubt this would help much in this benchmark. Haswell/Broadwell might bring about 20% of generic IPC improvements, and that is the estimate I used below).

I used FDO and LTO, with final compilation using collected profiles from povray benchmark using -O3 -march=native -ffast-math -fomit-frame-pointers. I tested with other switches, but they do not bring any additional benefits or degrade performance. Most of the performance benefits are from -march=native (especially on Sandy Bridge), just a little from -ffast-math, and FDO/LTO adds few more% of improvement (but also makes binary smaller, helping with the cache utilization).

Results.

I used:
echo | time povray -benchmark

Doing standard pov ray benchmark with 512x512 target output, and adaptive subsampling, for a total of 294912 pixels, ~776k samples, ~2.63 samples/pixel. The benchmark does have very varied structure, with both simple and complex objects,. simple and complex regions, some areas with and without reflection, refraction, aniostropy, complex and simple shading, high and small spatial density of objects, mathematically complex objects and simple ones. For textured objects it uses exclusively procedural textures (including Perlin noise and other fractal methods). It puts small pressure on memory (just few megabytes of memory used at most), and small pressure on memory bandwidth (almost everything fits in the cache, and there is considerably more arithmetic and cpu code than memory accesses, also due to the lack of pregenerated textures / images).

The time below is real time passed on the main Trace pass in povray. (data parsing, data structures creation, photon time, excluded as they are only about 1% of total time, and not all are multithreaded).

i7-3930K 3.2GHz @ 4.2GHz, 32nm process, 32GB RAM:  (using 12 threads)

time: 90.227 s  (107.7s on debian generic build)
pixels/s: 3267
power at load: 270W (full system estimate)
power at idle: 100W (full system estimate)
minimal full system price: 450$ (estimate of minimal full system price. 8GB ram, no case, no switch. realistic)
pixels/s/$: 7.26
pixels/s/W: 12.1

Pine64 (sun50iw1p1), 2GB RAM  (with small heatsink): (using 4 threads)

time: 1359 s  (1949 s on debian generic build)
pixels/s: 217  (151.3 on generic build)
power at load: 6W (full system estimate including potential ethernet switch port amortized power)
power at idle: 1.5W (without ethernet)
minimal full system price: 20$ (includes PSU, cabling, heat sink, amortized price of ethernet switch port, but no cases or mounting hardware. optimistic)
pixels/s/$: 10.85
pixels/s/W: 36.17

Speculative estimate for more modern CPU:

i7-5820K 3.3GHz @ 4.2GHz, 6 core, 2x4GB RAM, 22nm process

time: 80 s
pixels/s: 3700
power at load: 250W
power at idle: 60W
minimum full system price: 550$
pixels/s/$: 6.7
pixels/s/W: 14.7

Note that I am only comparing very high end Intel cpus, with 6 cores. Comparison to i5 and i7 4 cores CPU, or AMD CPUs would make it probably considerably in favor on the x86. Both for perf/W and perf/$. I do have an access to few more CPUs, including very low power ones, and would like to update this list shortly.

Summary:

Pine64+ cluster might be realistically speaking viable alternative the x86 high performance computer in some compute intensive workloads. However, it will require about 20 Pine64 boards to match performance of the x86. But with less memory (also distributed across more devices) and memory bandwidth limits, and management + custom software overheads. To fully utilize Pine64 low price and low power usage to compute with other platforms, one needs to bring the costs as low as possible (every 1$ counts), but using shared PSU, and cheap cables and cooling solutions and DIY mounting options. Just making it cost more than 30$ will make it economically impractical. 25$ might be ok (19$ for PINE, and 6$ for different parts), 20$ would be the best.

If matched with initial cost, PINE64 might be very attractive option in the long run, due to very low idle power usage, and very high performance/W metrics.

Future work:

More tests. Calculate 2-year ownership cost at 20% utilization (20% of the time system fully loaded, 80% idle).

What do you think? Any other comparisons to make? Maybe things like webserving? memory based caching? storage of some sort?

I would love to see somebody build ~50 nodes cluster with price, performance and power details.

Photo Minecraft Map Pine A64+ 2GB
Posted by: SirLenuxx - 05-07-2016, 05:20 PM - Forum: General Discussion on PINE A64(+) - Replies (8)

Hello dear pine users , 

I am a march buyer from the website , And i know that i should wait until the backers shipments .

So because i was bored i made a Minecraft map of the pine 64 ! 

[Image: koyMCzi.png][Image: NyUsWME.png]

[Image: FLgdECz.png]I took 1 block for each cm so 124 blocks x 79 blocs 

I made it alone , block per block , it take me more than 10 hours ( 5 Hours today and 5hours last few days)

[How-To] Make PINE 64 with Ubuntu Xenial Longsleep build crunch BOINC Tasks
Posted by: moisesmcardona - 05-07-2016, 12:00 PM - Forum: Linux on Pine A64(+) - Replies (3)

Hi everyone!

Yesterday I received in my mail the PINE 64 Single Board Computer I backed up a few months on Kickstarter. My Pledge was for the PINE 64 2GB edition.

First thing I did was to download and write the Ubuntu Xenial Longsleep build image to my 16GB MicroSD card (The image is almost 8GB in size). Get the Pine64 builds here: http://wiki.pine64.org/index.php/Pine_A6...re_Release

Next think I did was to boot up the PINE 64, and the first think I did once it booted up was to install BOINC:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FumkMM-n...2A&index=2

However, after installing BOINC and adding some projects, I noticed they all returned a message saying there are no tasks for my current platform. The problem? The Ubuntu Xenial image is 64bit, meanwhile the projects available for the ARM architecture are made 32bit. Since BOINC reported the platform as 64bit (specifically the platform being reported is aarch64-unknown-linux-gnu), the projects didn't recognized this and returned a no work available message (because they only send work to the platform type of arm-unknown-linux-gnueabihf). Ok, so how do I make my PINE 64 get those 32bit ARM tasks? It involved using the alt_platform option and doing some stuff in ubuntu:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-mmb3C5P...2A&index=3

Ok, so now I have the projects receiving tasks and the PINE 64 is crunching them as expected, except for WUProp@Home. Hmmm, seems strange that all projects I added works except WUProp@Home, so lets take a look at the workunit result:

Code:
<stderr_txt>
../../projects/wuprop.boinc-af.org/data_collect_v4_4.19_arm-unknown-linux-gnueabihf__nci: error while loading shared libraries: libstdc++.so.6: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

</stderr_txt>

So as you can see, WUProp can't find libstdc++.so.6. The thing is that it IS installed, but only for the 64bit architecture and we must add the library for the 32bit architecture:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t5IULP2b...2A&index=4

So there you go! We made our PINE 64 receive tasks and crunch them without any issues at all. Every task is being validated successfully  [Image: wink.png] So now, to enjoy our PINE 64 and let it crunch:

P.S. The PINE 64 is bigger than the Raspberry Pi's  [Image: tongue.png]
[Image: Pine64%20Added%20(resized%20for%20web).jpg]

One last video  [Image: rolleyes.gif]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0HCakQsQ...2A&index=5

Enjoy!!!!

Wifi/Bluetooth module
Posted by: riahim - 05-07-2016, 11:52 AM - Forum: POT modules - Replies (7)

Will the Wifi/bluetooth module provide both wifi and bluetooth at the same time or is it just one or the other?
Also, is there something I can use in the meantime until the store officially opens up?

1440x900 via HDMI to VGA converter
Posted by: RaspiBit - 05-07-2016, 08:51 AM - Forum: Remix OS - Replies (3)

Hi, my screen displays image at 1440x900 max but my pine outputs Full HD. I know that it's not a problem because my Raspberry Pi (first one, model B) on the same converter adapts the output to my display resolution. Is there any way to fix it on my pine?

USB Wifi drivers avail in new kernel (3.10.101-0-pine64-longsleep)
Posted by: rahlquist - 05-07-2016, 07:37 AM - Forum: Wifi/BT Module - Replies (5)

Ok quick guide with some of the basics. I am using longlseeps kernel on debian. 

First make sure you have his latest kernel. To check you can issue;

Code:
uname -a

at a command prompt. If you dont see the kernel version in the subject of this post or higher then run the magic;

Code:
bash <(curl -s https://raw.githubusercontent.com/longsleep/build-pine64-image/master/simpleimage/platform-scripts/pine64_update_uboot.sh)
bash <(curl -s https://raw.githubusercontent.com/longsleep/build-pine64-image/master/simpleimage/platform-scripts/pine64_update_kernel.sh)
Info about this kernel is at http://forum.pine64.org/showthread.php?t...08#pid8808

Ok once you have the latest kernel, power down the pine, insert your USB device and power up.

Once you are able to login you should see if the device was detected either 

Code:
lsusb

or

dmesg
should show you some basic info on your device. If you see it, great lets move on to the next step.

Now try;

Code:
iwconfig
if for wlan0 you see anything other than;

Code:
wlan0      no wireless extensions.
Things are looking up. 

Next I will show you the changes I made to my /etc/network/interfaces and /etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf

Ok /etc/network/interfaces first, I added this to the existing file

Code:
auto wlan0
iface wlan0 inet manual
wpa-roam /etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf
iface pine64 inet static
address 192.168.0.165
netmask 255.255.255.0
gateway 192.168.0.1

You can see I manually set the IP of my pine. You can do it with DHCP instead 

Code:
auto wlan0
iface wlan0 inet dhcp
wpa-conf /etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf
iface pine64 inet dhcp

Note the change from wpa-roam to wpa-conf not sure why, but it works.

In the /etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf I have this;

Code:
network={
       ssid="dd-wrt_vap"
       psk="1234567890"
       proto=RSN
       key_mgmt=WPA-PSK
       pairwise=CCMP
       group=CCMP
       auth_alg=OPEN
       priority=9
       id_str="pine64"
}
Of course change the SSID to match your network, the psk to match the key for WPA on your network, and the id_str should match the iface in the interfaces file. 

After you have made the changes you can issue

Code:
ifup iwlan0
If it works, you are in business. If not, for giggles reboot. If its still not working then please note any issues and ask away. 

A few things to note. If you leave eth0 set to auto and dhcp your pine may pause while it tries to connect there first it seems. 
If your wifi adapter is a ra-link then you will probably need to dl the firmware, google is the best bet for finding the right instructions for this part. In my case I had to enable non free sources for debian as well. 

As always I am not an expert, merely worked in IS for 23 years and am an enthusiast. I am open to questions suggestions and critique.

One last thing, thanks again to longsleep others for their hard work!

Some Iperf numbers since I know some may wonder, YMMV!
Code:
root@debianpine64:~# iperf -c 192.168.0.45
------------------------------------------------------------
Client connecting to 192.168.0.45, TCP port 5001
TCP window size: 22.5 KByte (default)
------------------------------------------------------------
[  3] local 192.168.0.165 port 43787 connected with 192.168.0.45 port 5001
[ ID] Interval       Transfer     Bandwidth
[  3]  0.0-10.0 sec  46.6 MBytes  39.0 Mbits/sec

Startx Error
Posted by: jl_678 - 05-07-2016, 07:27 AM - Forum: Ubuntu - Replies (1)

Hi,

I just installed Longsleeps base Ubuntu image and and then used the included script to install Mate desktop.  All went smoothly.  I now want to use Mate to configure Wifi.

I run StartX and the first problem I ran into was 

Code:
(EE) parse_vt_settings: Cannot open /dev/tty0 (No such file or directory)

I think that that was due to the fact that I needed to run startx as root.  (I included that example in case someone searches the forum.)  Anyway, I then ran "sudo startx" and then the system hands with the following error messages.

Code:
modprobe: FATAL: Module g2d_23 not found in directory /lib/modules/3.10.65-7-pine64-longsleep
modprobe: FATAL: Module mali_drm not found in directory /lib/modules/3.10.65-7-pine64-longsleep
modprobe: FATAL: Module sunxi_cedar_mod not found in directory /lib/modules/3.10.65-7-pine64-longsleep
SunxiMaliDRI2_Init: drmOpen failed!

So this brings me to my questions.  Did I do something wrong?  Is there something I can do to fix this?

Finally, is there a simple way to configure wireless via the CLI?  That is my first goal because I am running this headless.

Thank you!

Howto run Linux with resolution other than 1080p
Posted by: longsleep - 05-07-2016, 06:26 AM - Forum: Linux on Pine A64(+) - Replies (28)

Many people seem to have issues with the fixed 1920x1060@60Hz resolution i ship my U-Boot and Linux images with. Until now you needed to be a developer to change the resultion to anything else.

This has now changed.

I created a tool which can change the resolution. Say hello to sunxi-disp-tool.

I provide a binary package for Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus (arm64) in my Ubuntu Pine64 Makers PPA.

If you do not run my Ubuntu Xenial image it is now a good time to change that. See the Ubunu 16.04 Xenial Xerus thread for download and instructions.

Other than the tool itself, you need:
- U-Boot v2014.07-4-pine64 or later
- Kernel 3.10.101-0-pine64-longsleep-39 or later

I will eventually release an updated Xenial image which has those - for now update as usual (as root) with:

Code:
bash <(curl -s https://raw.githubusercontent.com/longsleep/build-pine64-image/master/simpleimage/platform-scripts/pine64_update_uboot.sh)
bash <(curl -s https://raw.githubusercontent.com/longsleep/build-pine64-image/master/simpleimage/platform-scripts/pine64_update_kernel.sh)

Then you can just add the desired resolution to /boot/uEnv.txt (eg. as optargs). By default the sunxi-disp-tool looks for a Kernel parameter called disp.screen0_output_mode to be in line with other sunxi boards.

Quick instructions for 720p60 (1280x720p@60Hz):
Code:
sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install sunxi-disp-tool
cat <<EOF | sudo tee -a /boot/uEnv.txt
optargs=disp.screen0_output_mode=720p60
EOF
sudo reboot

For a list of supported resolutions see README.md.

I will work on other distributions as well, but you need to install it manually and integrate it manually into the boot system. I strongly advice to use my Ubuntu image.

Your feedback is most welcome.

pine64 + 2gb is a dead plate.
Posted by: may1791 - 05-07-2016, 06:17 AM - Forum: General Discussion on PINE A64(+) - Replies (3)

You invest your money in a car that you say it works everything, including brakes, knowing that they have not proven manufacturers?.
So difficult was to test the connection to the network, with a minimum operating system.
They do not respond because manufacturers and designers, and tell the truth, they screwed up and do not know how to solve the monumental failure of the plates 2GB.
I'm disillusioned and fustrado after investing in the project pine64 kickstarter and ignore users.
A greeting.