Welcome, Guest
You have to register before you can post on our site.

Username

Password

(Advanced Search)

Forum Statistics
» Members: 28,165
» Latest member: BarberRalf
» Forum threads: 15,703
» Forum posts: 114,640

Full Statistics

Latest Threads
Android ( Stock or TV ver...
Forum: Android on Rock64
Last Post: tophneal
52 minutes ago
» Replies: 5
» Views: 6,400
Official Debian support!
Forum: News
Last Post: foresto
57 minutes ago
» Replies: 85
» Views: 132,856
Pine Phone Pro audio on p...
Forum: PinePhone Pro Software
Last Post: lightwo
4 hours ago
» Replies: 43
» Views: 13,462
Calls: ALSA UCM config no...
Forum: PinePhone Pro Software
Last Post: lightwo
4 hours ago
» Replies: 4
» Views: 196
Swimming/water resistance
Forum: General Discussion on PineTime
Last Post: adazem009
4 hours ago
» Replies: 6
» Views: 6,414
Where are the LoRaWAN dev...
Forum: General
Last Post: tllim
Today, 12:05 AM
» Replies: 15
» Views: 10,134
bes2600 driver
Forum: PineTab Hardware
Last Post: tllim
Yesterday, 11:09 PM
» Replies: 55
» Views: 15,368
Ox64 Without Dev Cube?
Forum: Getting Started
Last Post: donadams
Yesterday, 10:46 PM
» Replies: 2
» Views: 180
how to enable /dev/i2c-0 ...
Forum: Getting Started
Last Post: donadams
Yesterday, 10:42 PM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 19
atinout binaries for mobi...
Forum: Mobian on PinePhone
Last Post: Gumur
Yesterday, 03:27 PM
» Replies: 1
» Views: 67

Hardware issue overheating while booting and fail to boot
Posted by: DIDquest - 08-20-2018, 02:42 PM - Forum: General Discussion on ROCKPRO64 - Replies (13)

Short version:
A functional RockPro64 stopped working, and fails to boot. Clean Reinstall on SD card completed -- no effect, still cannot boot. If plugged in for more than 3-5 minutes the heatsink on the cpu will become noticeably hot to the touch (implying some sort of operation is being run on the cpu). The LED indicator is no longer coming on (i.e. the one that sits directly behind the reset button).

Longer version:
I originally had a RockPro64 that was functional. One day, after using it for a while (I was testing out vnc viewers), I left for a moment and when I returned the device was powered but the screen had shut off. I attempted to wake it (failed), tried to reboot it (failed), unplugged and waited a bit before plugging it back in, it still failed to boot. I then left it for a few minutes and when I came back, the heatsink on the CPU was hot to the touch (yet the LED indicator located behind the reset button which is usually on when the board is on, was off). I unplugged it to let it cool down. Once cool, I plugged it back in and tried to use both the reset button and the power button in an attempt to force the boot sequence to start. Neither produced any results. The board started to get hot again so I unplugged and decided to check the SD card. It seems to be undamaged (all my files were accessible so I was able to retrieve my files). Returned the SD card to the board and tried to boot again -- same result (overheating with a black screen-- no blinking cursor, nothing, I dont think the screen even recognized the input). I decided to bite the bullet and reburn a clean image of the linux distro onto it and try again. No issues during the burn process and I returned the SD card to the board and attempted to boot it). Exact same result -- no lights, no signals, but if you leave it for 5 minutes the heatsink will be hot. The only indication LED that is still on is the DCIN one.

I have tried different computer monitors, to no effect. I think it is also important to note that when the board was functioning normally, the heatsink would remain cool to the touch during the boot up process and even during light usage (i.e. writing some code). Something very abnormal has occured, and I think it is a hardware issue, but I am kind of stuck at this point.

Any insight into what I should attempt next would be appreciated (or confirmation that someone else as experienced something similar).

3D scanner
Posted by: Firesped - 08-20-2018, 01:03 PM - Forum: RockPro64 Projects, Ideas and Tutorials - No Replies

a kickstarter I backed long ago was the EORA 3D scanner. It took a long time to deliver and after it did I felt that it really needed a full fledged computer to be utilizing it versus a smart phone. It supports Android, however not as well as iOS. I am looking at using the RockPRO64 to make a device that can use the EORA 3D scanner. likely it will also need a robotic arm to hold the camera and scanner. in the past I found that the scanner and cameras needed to be leveled.

I needed to order some parts and saw the cameras were now available so I ordered 2 of those and some other parts. unfortunetly the main system seems to be currently out of stock though so that will have to wait.

Information Make Wiki Great Again
Posted by: Luke - 08-20-2018, 10:08 AM - Forum: General - Replies (19)

Hello.

I am here to ask for the community to help. In the past week some users have taken it upon themselves to contribute to RockPro64 section of the wiki and have done a much greater job that I could have hoped for. I am linking this section as I will refer back to it in this post since it has the preferred standard, content and structure.

But the RockPro64 is just one section out of 9 (not counting subsections) sections; it would be great to see more engagement in the remaining parts - especially from the regulars on the forum - who would ideally help in editing, contributing to, and maintaining the wiki. That said, every forum member with privileges to post un-moderated content on the forum is also allowed to edit the wiki.

To be more precise here is what needs to be done / what I'd like help with:

1. Update and improve the project section. Instructions regarding structure and contents of the section can be found at the top of the section. Help in this section would include: i) adding the RockPro64 and Pine H64 to the matrix ii) finding and adding projects that user have created in the past 6 months iii) helping maintain the section.
  2. Update the i) Rock64; ii) Pine A64; iii) Pine A64-LTS / SOPine; iv) Pine H64; and v) Pinebook sections. For inspiration and structure please look at what community has done with the on the aforementioned RockPro64 subsection of the wiki. I am aware that this is a significant task - each and single one of the main board sections would require a number of hours. If you're up for it, make sure to let me (and others) know so that workload can be divided up.
  3. Keep the build versions and links up-to-date - this goes for all PINE64 devices.
  4. Add new Linux, *BSD and Android builds for the respective devices. In short, if you see that a OS image has been pushed or a new one was made available then please update the wiki with it in the relevant section. New builds pop up everyday and developers don't always make us aware of their work. Sometimes we also miss their messages (this is just one recent example). Its impossible to follow all third-party development and always stay on-top of adding builds - help with this would be much appreciated.
  5. Update the NOOB section with information relevant to the PineH64 and RockPro64. This would include editing the wiki for instances where e.g. instructions for flashing list particular boards (currently neither are listed anywhere) or where board specific instructions are provided.
  6. Come up with a comprehensive idea for this section, develop it and help maintain it. 

If ~10 people decide to contribute and to coordinate the work then it will all be done within a couple of weeks. I am happy to help out in any way I can, so let me how I can be of help.
Lets us this thread for letting others know if you're interested and what you're interested in.
Thanks!

New RockPro64 4GB - No SD BOOT
Posted by: 2Play! - 08-20-2018, 05:15 AM - Forum: General Discussion on ROCKPRO64 - Replies (9)

I have got a RockPro64 straight form the factory mid /endJul second batch. It wont boot any of the images.
after burn I have 7 partition (5 unknown loader 1 & 2 etc)

[Image: 20180820_123151_Large.jpg]

Error
[Image: 20180818_003940_Large.jpg]

I have tested  2 diff sd pro cards, latest from wiki bionic, stretch no go.

Im booting from SD. Jumper J15 open should work since only SD card inserted to boot.
User etcher and w32.

What do you think?

Is it the board or something else wrong

Install Standard Debian (upstream)
Posted by: Catbot - 08-19-2018, 02:26 PM - Forum: Rock64 Tutorials - Replies (1)

Greetings everybody,

Today on my quest to enable the rock64 for my purposes I had just one goal:
Install upstream debian testing (buster) without any customizations.

Sadly I did not achieve this goal fully; However I believe I got extremely close. See below for the one bugreport I opened to have the last piece upstreamed.

So here are the steps from an existing debian system running on the board (mostly in pseudo-code because the difficulty level isn't novice):

0. Install U-Boot to SPI Flash
- https://github.com/ayufan-rock64/linux-u-boot/releases

1. Partition (e)MMC
 - 100MiB EFI partition (fat)
 - 1GiB boot partition (ext4)
 - 57GiB rootfs partition (f2fs)

2. mount filesystems
 - rootfs: /mnt
 - boot: /mnt/boot
 - efi: /mnt/boot/efi

3. bootstrap debian
 - debootstrap --arch=arm64 --variant=minbase buster /mnt http://deb/debian.org/debian

4. mount additional filesystems
 - mount -vt sysfs sysfs /mnt/sys
 - mount -vt proc proc /mnt/proc
 - mount --bind /dev /mnt/dev
 - mount --bind /dev/pts /mnt/dev/pts
 - mount --make-rslave /mnt/dev
 - mount --make-rslave /mnt/dev/pts

5. install additional software
- tasksel ssh-server (this is a little messy in a chroot)
- apt install linux-image-arm64 grub-efi-arm64
- apt install ifupdown locales

6. configure system
 - /etc/initramfs-tools/modules: f2fs
 - /etc/default/grub: GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX="earlycon=uart8250,mmio32,0xff130000 console=ttyS2,1500000"
 - /etc/default/grub: if [ -z "$GRUB_DEVICE_UUID" ] && [ -n "$GRUB_DEVICE" ]; then GRUB_DEVICE_UUID=`blkid -s UUID -o value "$GRUB_DEVICE"`; fi
 - dpkg-reconfigure locales
 - dpkg-reconfigure tzdata
 - /etc/network/interfaces: auto eth0
 - /etc/network/interfaces: iface eth0 inet dhcp
 - /etc/network/interfaces: iface eth0 inet6 auto

7. make it bootable
 - update-initramfs -u
 - grub-install --target=arm64-efi --removable
 - update-grub
 - copy /usr/lib/linux-image-4.17.0-1-arm64/rockchip/rk3328-rock64.dtb to /boot/efi/rockchip/rk3328-rock64.dtb

At this point the system could be rebooted and should automagically start up through grub.However one piece is still missing:
When the DTB gets updated with a new debian kernel, the copy on the EFI partition has to be updated as well.
For this we use the debian specific flash-kernel application by adding the following entry to /etc/flash-kernel/db:

Code:
Machine: Pine64 Rock64
Boot-DTB-Path: /boot/efi/rockchip/rk3328-rock64.dtb
DTB-Id: rockchip/rk3328-rock64.dtb

This bit of magic makes sure that on every kernel update the rk3328-rock64.dtb gets copied to the EFI partition where U-Boot can load it *before* executing grub.
This is necessary because grub-mkconfig can not guess where the devicetree is and how it is called.
I have opened a bugreport against debian to have this piece included upstream: https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugrepor...bug=906696

I strongly believe that debian-installer could be used from a usb drive to install debian. It would be much easier than the instructions above, especially when a preseed file is used for automation.

LibreELEC
Posted by: gabrielsr - 08-19-2018, 02:26 PM - Forum: Linux on RockPro64 - Replies (14)

Any one had success running LibreELEC? In the wikipage has a link for LibreELEC images but a couple of days ago only a .tar file was available at the pointed repository, not a flashable img.gz.

Today, i checked the repo and an .img.gz file had appeared. Just flashed a MMC, but the system wouldn't boot.
Maybe SD? Any one had success with it?

PS: I find it very misleading the official wikipage point to an image that won't even boot. I suggest to remove the link, there.

CPU RK3399K
Posted by: mcerveny - 08-19-2018, 01:08 PM - Forum: RockPro64 Hardware and Accessories - Replies (1)

RK3399K (2GHz/1.6GHz) for next revision ?

Question UK PSU for rock64
Posted by: danboid - 08-19-2018, 07:20 AM - Forum: Rock64 Hardware and Accessories - Replies (4)

One of the main reasons I bought a rock64 was the promise of being able to play 4K videos yet I have so far not managed to go much longer than 5m of 4K video playback before kodi freezes or reboots my rock64. Before I attached a heatsink to its CPU it would struggle to last even 1m when playing 4K videos under kodi so now I presume it is my PSU at fault because no-one else seems to be having such issues with kodi.

I am currently using an atolla 5V/3000mA PSU (model BYX-0503000B) that I bought off Amazon. It seems to work OK but I don't have a multimeter or anything to check that it is actually supplying the claimed output. I would prefer not to order a PSU from pine because it costs a lot to have things posted from the US to the UK and also it seems that the PSU they sell is a US PSU that requires an adapter to plug into a UK mains socket. I would rather get a PSU with a UK plug that doesn't require an adapter, ideally.

If there are any UK rock64 users reading this that have a working 'native' PSU and can confirm you can use kodi to watch 4K videos for more than 10m (ideally I'd be able to watch feature length 4K films without any reboots or freezes) then please tell me the make and model of your PSU and where you bought it from.

Thanks!

WiFi on Armbian problem
Posted by: scalextrix - 08-19-2018, 04:49 AM - Forum: Linux on Rock64 - Replies (14)

I was on Debian Stretch, but the WiFi went wrong so Im trying different OS's, Im now on Armbian because it seems to have good tools for wifi like nmtui.

I have the official USB wifi from the Pine website, its the Realtek one.

I flashed Ambian Ubuntu Xenial using the PINE64 flash tool.

I started it set the passwords. 

iwconfig shows the wlx0013ef800c2c and p2p0 as wifi devices.

I try nmtui-connect <my ssid> enter the PSK and it fails to connect.

I go to nmtui and multiple wifi networks are available, select mine, enter the PSK and it still fails to connect.  I set the PSK to viewable and confirm it is correct, still no luck.

I try iwconfig wlx0013ef800c2c essid <my ssid> key <my psk>, this gives no output, but on checking the ifconfig, no connection has been made.

Please can anyone help me to troubleshoot this.

Rock64 OMV video question / same for RockPro64 I would assume
Posted by: RockPro64Newbie - 08-19-2018, 04:11 AM - Forum: General Discussion on ROCKPRO64 - No Replies

THanks both of you who answered my last post.

I am a visual type person and found a video of someone installing OMV and booting it on Rock64
It pertains to this video   https://youtu.be/gT-EGNl9bZA   ROCK64 OpenMediaVault NAS  at 7:35 in the video.

Question, while booting he looks and gets the IP address as he will need it for the OMV program later. Just below the IP Address there is a PROMPT FOR ROCK64 LOGIN:

next part of video, it shows OMV booted.  ((DO YOU HAVE TO LOGIN THERE OR HIT ENTER FOR IT TO FINISH BOOTING?
IF I DO HAVE TO LOG IN, WHAT IS THE PRESET "ID" AND "PASSWORD" AT THAT POINT?

Watch all up to that point.  you will see what I mean.  I am sure you have worked with OMV before and can answer if I have to login at that point. and with what password/if a default one.

OH,  Is there any issue with ROCKPRO64 identifying the ROCKPro64 PCI-E to Dual SATA-II Interface Card?

Or does that issue pertain to the M2 storage card slot?

I decided to buy 2 qty ROCKPRO64s  WITH THE DUAL sata-II Interface Card for each.

set one as NAS  and other as a workstation.