Netflix on default Chromium/Debian
Hi all!
I'm rusty on my linux and I'm trying to watch netflix on it for the first time. 
For some reason I thought that in the default distribution provided with PBP the Chromium browser already included support for Netflix. I can't watch it in Chromium nor Firefox. Is there additional setup necessary to get it going? I see that widevine is part of the updates that I run every once in a while so I'm even more confused by it not working.

If anyone could point me to how to get it running on the original distribution, would be appreciated.

Thanks!
(01-23-2020, 09:49 PM)MoonDog Wrote: Hi all!
For some reason I thought that in the default distribution provided with PBP the Chromium browser already included support for Netflix. I can't watch it in Chromium nor Firefox. Is there additional setup necessary to get it going? I see that widevine is part of the updates that I run every once in a while so I'm even more confused by it not working.

If anyone could point me to how to get it running on the original distribution, would be appreciated.

Thanks!

There is script on the desktop you have to run to install wildvine.  I recommend you run the updater on the bottom of the screen then run the wildvine install script.
(01-23-2020, 10:24 PM)Samarium151 Wrote: There is script on the desktop you have to run to install wildvine.  I recommend you run the updater on the bottom of the screen then run the wildvine install script.

Is the script supposed to be located in /home/rock/Desktop/ ? There is no script in mine. I don't think I erased anything but perhaps that could've happened...
the desktop is just a link to the system script. it is also called widevine.

update_widevine.sh or something similar. open a terminal and use sudo to install.

sorry, I am not using the default os to confirm
(01-24-2020, 01:31 PM)xmixahlx Wrote: the desktop is just a link to the system script. it is also called widevine.

update_widevine.sh or something similar. open a terminal and use sudo to install.

sorry, I am not using the default os to confirm

Is there a link to github, or some other repository for this script - it would be useful for other armhf userland installs, besides the stock mrfixit Debian.
I looked, but can't find it.
— Jeremiah Cornelius
"Be the first person not to do some­thing, that no one has thought of not doing before’’
— Brian Eno, "Oblique Strategies"
When you run the MrFixit script it puts the program on the desktop. I've run it a number of times and it's not working. I'm sure I've done something wrong on my end though.
The only file on the Desktop is one that I created, and I have the latest updates for the PBP applied.

I think actually that widevine is working on my chromium but that for some reason Netflix specifically isn't.  I went to some sites to test the DRM playing capability of the browser and it worked. I think i'll have to update widevine or chromium...
(01-23-2020, 10:24 PM)Samarium151 Wrote:
(01-23-2020, 09:49 PM)MoonDog Wrote: Hi all!

Thanks!

There is script on the desktop you have to run to install wildvine.  I recommend you run the updater on the bottom of the screen then run the wildvine install script.
I am a novice. I assume I am supposed to give a command in the terminal to run this script.  Can you please let me know what exactly to type in terminal to install Widevine.
I guess that you use the default debian system. If so you just have to open terminal, you may have on icon near the menu on the bottom-left corner.

After starting a terminal, you should type

Code:
update_widevine.sh

I hope you can run it. It seems tha tNetflix don't like this version anymore (I hope it will change soon) . But Primevideo works pretty well for me and even on firefox (Netflix on firefox on PBP)

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Debian on Pinebook Pro u974615 8 439 03-22-2024, 03:57 PM
Last Post: u974615
  Nethunter default password failed lamlarryyyy 0 267 11-23-2023, 02:48 AM
Last Post: lamlarryyyy
  install debian on pbp jsch 7 3,827 11-22-2023, 04:22 PM
Last Post: TRS-80
  How to mainline kernel on daniel thompson's debian installer? hellojack 14 7,027 09-07-2023, 09:38 PM
Last Post: Der Geist der Maschine
  Unable to install Debian Bullseye because of missing wifi firmware Pino64 7 3,823 07-15-2023, 02:58 PM
Last Post: u974615
Question Debian (Vanilla) no output on display after Kernel update (6.0.8-1) as365n4 1 1,200 12-09-2022, 12:43 PM
Last Post: as365n4
  Unsuccessful using danielt's unofficial Debian installer on the PBP joeDoe 2 2,239 12-09-2022, 05:04 AM
Last Post: ndp
  How can I install Debian? ImmyChan 1 1,922 10-19-2022, 03:09 AM
Last Post: alpopa
  when i close my laptop lid the screen doesn't turn on? (debian bullseye based) computerc 3 1,780 09-23-2022, 08:37 PM
Last Post: computerc
  Debian emmc installer db579 6 2,797 08-23-2022, 06:13 AM
Last Post: db579