Charging Issue
I'd love to see if anyone else has experienced this issue-- although I can imagine that I'm the only one with this set up. I'm an American who's living in Spain for a few months, and because of that I bought the ANSI Pinebook Pro with the EU power adapter. No matter where I plug it in in my apartment, I can feel an electrical current go through the metal part of the case while it is charging. I know a tiny bit about electronics but definitely not enough to figure this out on my own. One thing that is strange is that the tingling feeling in my hand intensifies when I move it along the case.

ANYWAYS this is a sort of silly and maybe dangerous problem and I wonder if any of you guys have any ideas about it.
that seems like a "stop doing that" type of issue... what happens if you use usb-c pd?
I have the same setup, ANSI with europe adapter.
I don't have this issue, tho i always use some sort of USB port.

Can you try charging with USB-C? or with the USB-to-Barrel charging cable?
And maybe try charging with a normal USB output (5V)?

Anyway if you can feel the current, something is very off... please be careful.
Hello FBI,
I am not an actual hacker.
(01-24-2020, 12:16 AM)Soul_Hacker Wrote: I have the same setup, ANSI with europe adapter.

yeah i don't have a USB-C charger, or the USB-to-barrel cable though those seems like a good idea. i guess i need to go out and buy one of these things & test it.

how would i charge with 5V from the packaged power adaptor? it says 5V on it but... i believe that may not be the truth.
I get the same thing on the metal chassis of a Macbook pro. Especially if you touch two different computers at the same time. IIRC this has something to do with grounding.
(01-24-2020, 02:53 AM)jpakkane Wrote: I get the same thing on the metal chassis of a Macbook pro. Especially if you touch two different computers at the same time. IIRC this has something to do with grounding.

good to know!

oh you're the meson person! i used that yesterday-- thx for the software. because of it i got snes9x working on this thing

i'm gonna buy a usb-c cable and see if that changes anything
I had something similar happen with my desktop at one point, turns out the ground wasn't good and had to be fixed, are you plugging it right into a power bar or into the wall?
(01-24-2020, 02:32 AM)judgeruss Wrote:
(01-24-2020, 12:16 AM)Soul_Hacker Wrote: I have the same setup, ANSI with europe adapter.

yeah i don't have a USB-C charger, or the USB-to-barrel cable though those seems like a good idea. i guess i need to go out and buy one of these things & test it.

how would i charge with 5V from the packaged power adaptor? it says 5V on it but... i believe that may not be the truth.

not with the packaged one. when you have a USB to USB-C/barrel cable, plug it into a normal PC (PBP charges a lot slower then) and see if you have the same issue.

@jpakkane i believe is right on this one with the grounding.
Hello FBI,
I am not an actual hacker.
Not sure what could be going on here. The power adapter supplied with the PBP is the same as that used for several of the pine64 products, and is a 100-240V AC to 5V DC 3A double-insulated adapter, meaning it does not need, and does not use a earth pin. You can check for yourself if you unclip the localaised power adapter plate you probably had to snap on when you received it - it only has two connections. Hence issues such as grounding that could affect other appliances that require an earth connection don't apply. When you say metal part of the case, do you mean the PBP? As the only think I think could be some sort of static charge... you certainly wouldn't feel a 5V DC signal even if you held the connectors in your hands... and if the power supply where faulty and passing more than that, I would expect the PBP would have let the magic smoke out by now. But anything is of course possible. Maybe there is some sort of low voltage AC ripple and you're sensitive to it.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Photo P{inebook Pro not charging Ome Ko 6 1,797 11-09-2023, 03:29 PM
Last Post: tomekdev
  Newbie with immediate issue jasonumd 1 909 03-04-2023, 05:59 PM
Last Post: hacknix
  Pine Book Pro Charging Problems balin 7 6,680 12-15-2022, 02:15 PM
Last Post: tomasgreenro
  suckless surf on arch linux pinebook pro scrolling issue gehn5 0 933 04-16-2022, 07:41 PM
Last Post: gehn5
  Very low battery (but charging) causes boot failures Phillip Bell 7 4,335 02-22-2022, 11:20 AM
Last Post: wdt
Question USB-C Video Out Issue dev 2 1,790 02-08-2022, 07:28 PM
Last Post: dev
  Pinebook Pro Stopped Charging via USB-C MickTheGeek 4 4,149 08-25-2021, 02:51 PM
Last Post: MickTheGeek
  HArdware issues while charging user18130814200115 2 2,740 05-01-2021, 04:13 AM
Last Post: gabeeg
  PineBookPro does not charging floppy_rofling 0 1,603 02-03-2021, 05:29 AM
Last Post: floppy_rofling
  Screen flicker with USB-C charging bchenlee609 5 5,682 01-25-2021, 08:48 PM
Last Post: bchenlee609