Very low battery (but charging) causes boot failures
PBP, Manjaro+KDE Plasma, 1TB memory chip extended.

When the battery is completely dead on PBP, I plug in the standard adapter.  A few minutes later, I proceed to boot.  In this state, the SOC seems to fail at different points, depending on the battery level.

Sometimes, it fails before the login screen.  After another attempt, it will during OS initialization (I see the Manjaro logo, then fails to terminal faults).  After another attempt, it will get all the way to the login screen, but after I login, it drops to terminal faults.

The workaround is simple - just wait about 10 minutes for it to charge a bit more, and all start-up works fine.  

It seems that it is tied to the level of battery that is available, and it fails at different point, if the battery is at 1%
I have a similar problem, which might be the same problem, or it might be a different one.
I have found that if I run the battery totally dead and then plug it into a charger then it draws 1.72 amps from the charger.
If I then boot it up the charge light stays on, and the charge indicator in the system tray says that it's charging, but actually the current draw on the charger drops to zero amps.
I have tried this with both Manjaro and Armbian.
I am charging through a Syncwire dual port 3A charger, which no longer appears on their site, and this cable https://pine64.com/product/2-meters-leng...wer-cable/

I have just measured the voltage coming from the syncwire charger.
It delivers 5.19 volts when the PBP is taking 1.72A from it (not booted up).
With no load on it it's delivering 5.33 volts.

Is it possible that the PBP is more fussy about what voltage the power supply is when it's booted up then when it isn't?  Is 5.33 too high?
I don't know what the reason is, but it's widely reported that if your battery drains completely, you may need to charge once with USB-C to get it going again.

I had this happen once with an early PBP (second production run? no clue) that runs Manjaru.

I've never had this happen with a later one (third production run?) that runs NetBSD, and I don't know why. I've drained the battery on it several times.
:wq

[ SRA accepts you ]
Perhaps an overly aggressive battery protection map
I recently saw a video of a fully charged 18650, pierced by nail
Spit sparks, turned red hot (fully discharged bats will NOT do this, they don't contain so much energy)
The protections goes as so:
Under safe/undamaged level will refuse to charge (??..2.0V ..?)
Very low (?..2.7-2.8V..?) trickle charge,, C/100, for up to 30 min
When reaches safe level ((?..3.4-3.5V..?) goes to full charge rate
In this case, the charger rate is the limit, can only go to C/3 or C/4
Maybe the load on a flat battery drives the V down to trickle charge rate which will not run computer
Normal range for LiCoO is 3.6-4.2V
But my experience is that the PBP will run off the battery, and refuse to take current from the charger, when the battery is already totally dead.
This makes no sense at all.
I bet it doesn't run long
without having the back off and a DVM attached, you really are just guessing
If it is trickle charging ,,, the V may only go up .05V
(or you could insert an amp meter)
And most trickle charge maps have a time out, so unplug, replug every 1/2 hour
The USB C seems to partially bypass the charging map, so most of the time, this is the answer
(02-21-2022, 12:19 PM)wdt Wrote: I bet it doesn't run long
without having the back off and a DVM attached, you really are just guessing
If it is trickle charging ,,, the V may only go up .05V
(or you could insert an amp meter)
And most trickle charge maps have a time out, so unplug, replug every 1/2 hour
The USB C seems to partially bypass the charging map, so most of the time, this is the answer

Correct. It doesn't run long.  Are these charge maps somehow programmable?
>Are these charge maps somehow programmable?
No, small rom in charge controll chip

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  uboot wont boot to SD card after upgrade jbradley419 7 545 01-19-2024, 02:29 PM
Last Post: wdt
  Video Flashing/adjusting on boot and reboot jbradley419 0 215 01-16-2024, 09:17 AM
Last Post: jbradley419
  Brand new Pinebook Pro doesn't boot after Manjaro update johnboiles 8 1,943 12-15-2023, 02:11 PM
Last Post: wdt
  PBP won't boot after trying to reinstall Manjaro ARM soupgirl 3 540 12-13-2023, 08:17 PM
Last Post: trillobite
  Various freezes during boot & while running several Linux distros - hardware error? donuts 1 489 11-22-2023, 11:47 AM
Last Post: fxc
Photo P{inebook Pro not charging Ome Ko 6 1,796 11-09-2023, 03:29 PM
Last Post: tomekdev
  Cannot boot to Kali SD card after uboot upgrade jbradley419 4 1,025 09-19-2023, 08:48 AM
Last Post: dachalife
  Does latest Tow-Boot install/work correctly for everyone? tophneal 4 1,611 08-03-2023, 03:30 PM
Last Post: tophneal
  Boot into NVME drive, no wifi, sound, buttons... PaulQ 0 737 07-13-2023, 01:50 PM
Last Post: PaulQ
  New Pinebook pro won’t boot Generaltuxenburg 4 1,783 06-14-2023, 07:20 AM
Last Post: KC9UDX