Games compilation howto on the Pinebook-pro (Manjaro Linux and Debian native)
(06-14-2020, 02:34 PM)rustynkoal Wrote: Update : I managed to get OpenMW to build. But now I'm not so sure about whether I need Wine or not. The docs for OpenMW seem to indicate that I do, but (for now) I'm still failing to build it (possibly due to errors in checking my clang version ?). Anyway, If you have the time for that, could you give a bit of detail about what you did with the game files ?
If you have the game from gog you can use innoextract to get the files, it works without any hassle.

I'm not sure if it has been mentioned, but Flare: Empyrean campaign works straight from AUR.
Also, Doom status update: doomretro and woof Doom ports work without troubles provided they're invoked like that: "SDL_SOUNDFONTS=/path/to/a/soundfont doomretro/woof". Eternity engine requires some work to compile and has issue where it doesn't save configs because it crashes on exit. Ports which worked before and still do without issues are chocolate doom, crispy doom and lzdoom. I'd recommend to use Eternity/Doomretro though, they're smoothest.
(06-15-2020, 03:39 PM)brzegorz Wrote:
(06-14-2020, 02:34 PM)rustynkoal Wrote: Update : I managed to get OpenMW to build. But now I'm not so sure about whether I need Wine or not. The docs for OpenMW seem to indicate that I do, but (for now) I'm still failing to build it (possibly due to errors in checking my clang version ?). Anyway, If you have the time for that, could you give a bit of detail about what you did with the game files ?
If you have the game from gog you can use innoextract to get the files, it works without any hassle.

I'm not sure if it has been mentioned, but Flare: Empyrean campaign works straight from AUR.
Also, Doom status update: doomretro and woof Doom ports work without troubles provided they're invoked like that: "SDL_SOUNDFONTS=/path/to/a/soundfont doomretro/woof". Eternity engine requires some work to compile and has issue where it doesn't save configs because it crashes on exit. Ports which worked before and still do without issues are chocolate doom, crispy doom and lzdoom. I'd recommend to use Eternity/Doomretro though, they're smoothest.

Here is a patch for Eternity that should improve performance a lot and fix the config issue:

https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/snippets/1070
(06-16-2020, 05:45 AM)icecream95 Wrote: Here is a patch for Eternity that should improve performance a lot and fix the config issue:

that's fantastic: ). What should I apply it against? I've tried the latest master branch, but it succeeds only partially:
[eternity]$ patch -p1 < ../Icecream95.patch
patching file source/gl/gl_texture.cpp
patching file source/m_misc.cpp
patching file source/sdl/i_sdlgl2d.cpp
Hunk #1 succeeded at 209 with fuzz 2.
Hunk #3 FAILED at 300.
Hunk #5 FAILED at 616.
2 out of 5 hunks FAILED -- saving rejects to file source/sdl/i_sdlgl2d.cpp.rej

Will this patch get upstreamed?

P.S. After compiling Eternity with your patch the config issue got fixed indeed. Performance is also better. Unfortunately, everything is kind of blue.
(06-16-2020, 09:59 AM)brzegorz Wrote:
(06-16-2020, 05:45 AM)icecream95 Wrote: Here is a patch for Eternity that should improve performance a lot and fix the config issue:

that's fantastic: ). What should I apply it against? I've tried the latest master branch, but it succeeds only partially:
[eternity]$ patch -p1 < ../Icecream95.patch
patching file source/gl/gl_texture.cpp
patching file source/m_misc.cpp
patching file source/sdl/i_sdlgl2d.cpp
Hunk #1 succeeded at 209 with fuzz 2.
Hunk #3 FAILED at 300.
Hunk #5 FAILED at 616.
2 out of 5 hunks FAILED -- saving rejects to file source/sdl/i_sdlgl2d.cpp.rej

Will this patch get upstreamed?

P.S. After compiling Eternity with your patch the config issue got fixed indeed. Performance is also better. Unfortunately, everything is kind of blue.

It works against the master branch for me - maybe it was a copy and paste error, try downloading https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/snippets/...line=false directly and applying that.
@icecream95

Thank you very much. After downloading it directly it worked...and it seems you've merged the important parts. On vanilla maps I get 60fps at 848x480 and 30fps at 1280x720. The config issue is gone too. That's cool.

A bit of an offtopic: what's the future of Panfrost, how do you think? Will the performance improve much on Pinebook, or is it already near the limit? Is OpenGL 3.0 in any foreseeable future? I know nobody can make any promises, but since you're Panfrost developer quite active in game engines, I'm curious about your expectations.
OK got openage to build and run on the latest Manjaro (5.7.0-1-MANJARO-ARM) Pinebookpro !
Here are the steps taken (please excuse if I have missed any package from pacman install list - let me know if it works for you)

installed packages on Manjaro via pacman -S *packagename*

cmake
cython
python-numpy
python-pillow
python-pygments
eigen
doxygen
graphviz
qtcreator

//Create a working directory to hold the sources
// and work from there

// First we need to build Nyan

// clone Nyan
git clone https://github.com/SFTtech/nyan
cd nyan
mkdir build
cmake ..
make -j3
su
# make install
exit

// clone openage
git clone https://github.com/SFTtech/openage
cd openage
mkdir build
cmake ..
make -j3
su
# make install

// Install Age of Empires 2 (HD version works ) via Wine on x86_64 linux
// copy over the whole aoe2 directory to the Pinebook
// I install it usually as c:\aoe2 and then I just tar the .wine/drive_c/aoe2
// and scp to the pinebook

// Launch openage from the openage/build directory
./run

// Point the setup to the aoe2 datadir
(06-17-2020, 12:14 PM)brzegorz Wrote: @icecream95

Thank you very much. After downloading it directly it worked...and it seems you've merged the important parts. On vanilla maps I get 60fps at 848x480 and 30fps at 1280x720. The config issue is gone too. That's cool.

A bit of an offtopic: what's the future of Panfrost, how do you think? Will the performance improve much on Pinebook, or is it already near the limit? Is OpenGL 3.0 in any foreseeable future? I know nobody can make any promises, but since you're Panfrost developer quite active in game engines, I'm curious about your expectations.

There are still many things which can be done to improve performance, from format and layout improvements to better shader instruction scheduling and decreasing CPU overhead. Supporting more OpenGL extensions such as EXT_shader_pixel_local_storage and patching games to use them will also improve things.

OpenGL 3 is almost implemented - the only extensions needed for GL 3.3 that are not supported yet are ARB_texture_compression_rgtc, NV_conditional_render, ARB_blend_func_extended and ARB_timer_query. Transform feedback might still need a bit of work, and there is no MSAA support yet.
VCMI - Heroes of Might and Magic III
VCMI is work-in-progress attempt to recreate engine for Heroes III, giving it new and extended possibilities.

This is a mini-guide for running VCMI (Open-source engine for Heroes of Might and Magic III)
on a PinebookPro Manjaro aarch64

As of writing this was done on the latest updated version
Linux pinebookpro 5.7.0-1-MANJARO-ARM  with mesa-git (Panfrost drivers)

Packages needed to be installed via pacman (  pacman -S *packagename* )

boost
sdl2_gfx sdl2_mixer sdl2_net sdl2_ttf sdl2_image
zlib
cmake
ffmpeg

// Create a working directory
// and cd to it

git clone --recursive https://github.com/vcmi/vcmi
cd vmci
mkdir build
cd build
cmake ..
make      (Please note here that this process takes very long on a single thread ! )
          (when I ran it with make -j3 the PinebookPro froze and I had to hard-reset it)

su
# make install

// Before running the game check the /etc/ld.so.conf.d and define a new file for local libraries

---> local.conf

/usr/local/lib
/usr/local/lib/vcmi

// Once done reload ldconfig as root

# ldconfig

// You can now install the data files as stated here https://wiki.vcmi.eu/Installation_on_Linux
// I have tested the GOG Windows executable which I have installed under Wine on x86_64 Linux
// And tarballed the C:\path\to\mm3  and copied it over to the PinebookPro

// Then I ran the vcmibuilder

/usr/local/bin/vcmibuilder --data /path/to/h3/data

// And finally the game launcher

/usr/local/bin/vcmilauncher
Hi everyone,
nice thread Smile
i was wondering if anyone managed to get Chiaki working on pinebook pro manjaro edition?
On the git there are only x86 images.
Otherwise, is there an equivalent software for arm to connect remotely to ps4?
Thank you
(06-20-2020, 01:37 PM)slow_motion Wrote: Hi everyone,
nice thread Smile
i was wondering if anyone managed to get Chiaki working on pinebook pro manjaro edition?
On the git there are only x86 images.
Otherwise, is there an equivalent software for arm to connect remotely to ps4?
Thank you
If you're compiling from AUR on Manjaro, you can add "aarch64" to list of architectures and there's a huge change it'll just compile, since it's built for Android too.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Pinebook Pro Initial Impressions kunger 443 589,835 04-16-2024, 07:29 PM
Last Post: KC9UDX
  looking to buy one pinebook pro (mainland China) duanduan 3 2,300 03-21-2024, 07:44 PM
Last Post: wangyukunshan
  Cellular module for Pinebook Pro Lotech 1 401 03-05-2024, 05:40 AM
  Screen on pinebook stays black but can ssh into machine tuxxpine 0 304 02-23-2024, 04:22 PM
Last Post: tuxxpine
  Sale my ANSI PineBook Pro cuthbertdavies 0 293 02-14-2024, 09:12 PM
Last Post: cuthbertdavies
  Compiling with -j6 on the Pinebook Pro (Overheat) KC9UDX 0 228 02-14-2024, 09:01 AM
  Manjaro versions bad and good gilwood 0 256 02-12-2024, 05:03 PM
Last Post: gilwood
  Pinebook Pro in EU for Sale - €90 jan_vdk 2 678 02-07-2024, 02:12 AM
Last Post: 23Ro
  Pinebook Pro for sale tomekdev 2 745 02-01-2024, 11:35 AM
Last Post: tomekdev
  Video Editing Is Possible On The PineBook Pro! ImmyChan 10 7,624 12-17-2023, 09:29 PM
Last Post: insideau786