Crippling noise from inside pinecil during a few minutes high power soldering.
Ahoj,

I just had a "high power" soldering job with my Pinecil V2 (power supply: 65W USB C PD; soldering task: Thin steel surface) where I had the pinecil set to maximum temperature and constantliy heating the piece where I wanted to solder.

After some time (2 minutes or so) I heard some noises from inside the pinecil. It did sound a bit crippling, like boiling stuff escaping some enclosure, or so.

I immediately disconnected power supply.

Outside of the pinecil, I felt not anywhere hotness; after disassembling (which took some time where parts can cool down) neither.

Has anyone observed similar things? Is the Pinecil safe to use long time at high power (will safe-protect if too long)? Any thoughts on what I have observed?

I now did re-test without or with thermal load, and in both cases there are two types of noises:

* Some regular noise which sounds like coming from driving the power output FET (PWM noise),
* rarely, some irregular noise as described above.

The second one _may_ also be some noise related to regular operation, emitted by the small inductor on the PCB, but I cannot discern.

Does the regulation sometimes involve "very irregular" pulses through the power FET/ the inductor?

Regards!
(10-03-2023, 05:51 AM)dreieck Wrote: I just had a "high power" soldering job with my Pinecil V2 (power supply: 65W USB C PD; soldering task: Thin steel surface) where I had the pinecil set to maximum temperature and constantliy heating the piece where I wanted to solder.

Hi,
in my case I can here some very weak noise in the Pinecil V2, but it is very low level, but I think it is PWM. In noisy room its can not be heard.
If nothing is heating on the PCB during this noise, so should be fine. If possible, try another PD supply.
(10-03-2023, 05:51 AM)dreieck Wrote: Ahoj,

I just had a "high power" soldering job with my Pinecil V2 (power supply: 65W USB C PD; soldering task: Thin steel surface) where I had the pinecil set to maximum temperature and constantliy heating the piece where I wanted to solder.

After some time (2 minutes or so) I heard some noises from inside the pinecil. It did sound a bit crippling, like boiling stuff escaping some enclosure, or so.

I immediately disconnected power supply.

Outside of the pinecil, I felt not anywhere hotness; after disassembling (which took some time where parts can cool down) neither.

Has anyone observed similar things? Is the Pinecil safe to use long time at high power (will safe-protect if too long)? Any thoughts on what I have observed?

I now did re-test without or with thermal load, and in both cases there are two types of noises: dinosaur game
* Some regular noise which sounds like coming from driving the power output FET (PWM noise),
* rarely, some irregular noise as described above.

The second one _may_ also be some noise related to regular operation, emitted by the small inductor on the PCB, but I cannot discern.

Does the regulation sometimes involve "very irregular" pulses through the power FET/ the inductor?

Regards!

The noises you heard from inside the Pinecil during your high-power soldering job could be attributed to the normal operation of the device. When a soldering iron is operating at its maximum temperature and providing constant heat to a piece, it can generate some audible noises, including PWM noise from driving the power output FET. Additionally, the irregular noise you mentioned could potentially be related to the small inductor on the PCB. While it's difficult to discern the exact cause without further investigation, it's worth noting that these noises might be within the normal range of operation for the Pinecil. However, if you have concerns about the safety of using the Pinecil for extended periods at high power, it's advisable to reach out to the manufacturer or consult the product documentation for guidance on its recommended usage and any built-in safety mechanisms.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question Can Pinecil Read USB-C Cable E-Marker Chips? Garywoo 0 33 04-23-2024, 01:48 PM
Last Post: Garywoo
  Connecting a power supply to the Pinecil jon_bondy 1 391 02-29-2024, 07:37 PM
Last Post: Okedokey
  Best power supply? naviathan 4 4,729 02-29-2024, 07:33 PM
Last Post: Okedokey
Question Pinecil Tempaerature Reading jumps to Y400°C when active but stays normal when cold H3wastooshort 0 376 12-24-2023, 05:45 PM
Last Post: H3wastooshort
  Asus laptop power supply can also power Pinecil biketool 9 8,324 11-17-2023, 12:57 PM
Last Post: killingmesmalls
  Mass problem Pinecil V2 Harrysteed 0 674 11-02-2023, 09:11 AM
Last Post: Harrysteed
Question Pinecil v2 power cycles at higher voltages? clemon79 2 1,305 10-09-2023, 10:10 PM
Last Post: clemon79
  PD resets during heat up tip [Pinecil V2] Neitron4ik 2 1,558 10-09-2023, 01:22 AM
Last Post: Neitron4ik
  [Hackaday Article] All About USB-C: Pinecil Soldering Iron vajak 1 1,461 02-02-2023, 11:45 AM
Last Post: VaZso
  Brand new Pinecil v2 won't boot on PD jhutch 1 2,264 12-14-2022, 01:03 AM
Last Post: River