NAS Optimizations for RockPro64
I am curious if anyone who has deployed the RockPro64 as a NAS have any optimizations that has improved system performance. Especially if they are using a PCIe to SATA adapter. I would like to find/develop a script to reduce the burden of the initial portion of a data sync or even just listing files. Whether as a SAMBA server, local file listing, or during the initial portion of a data backup, the CPU seems to run at max until the file attributes list is populated. Although other optimizations that are useful to you would be of interest too, this doesn't have to be specific to one OS, or one particular filesystem, back up scheme, or system admin maintenance task. Basically what is useful to you that might benefit someone else.

I have 2 RockPro64 deployed as NAS, one hosting Debian 10 and the other FreeBSD 13.0. I have configured it many different ways but both are using 3rd party PCIe to SATA adapters each hosting 3 HDDs. One is a kludge of 1TB disks both 3.5" and 2.5" with RAIDz1 the other is 3 identical 2.5" HDDs in RAIDz1. Other than having SAMBA configured on them, they are currently backups of my main server, which is also my desktop workstation. I have recently been getting into ZFS send/recieve for backups, but have more experience with rsync. ZFS is an improvement but still tedious. Simple commands like ls to list files in a directory will consume CPU cycles to the point of nearly halting the system, and I'm thinking having a scheme of some sort will improve this, that is durable across reboots.

The only reference I found to NAS optimizations on this forum was from a user who appears to no longer be active and they only referenced caching, but did not describe in detail what they did.
Quartz64, RockPro64, PinePhone Mobian, PineBook Pro, PineTime, and all the trimmings that make FOSS fun.
I don't use ZFS and I suspect my use case is much lighter than yours, so I don't think I can help, but a couple things come to mind:

Are you encrypting your disks? If so, could some of that work be offloaded to the RK3399's ARMv8 cryptography extensions by using the right configs & linux kernel module?

Could the driver for your PCIe/SATA card be contributing to CPU load? If so, perhaps switching to a card with a different chip could help? (Mine has a Marvell 88SE9235.)
(01-29-2022, 03:43 PM)foresto Wrote: I don't use ZFS and I suspect my use case is much lighter than yours, so I don't think I can help, but a couple things come to mind:

Are you encrypting your disks? If so, could some of that work be offloaded to the RK3399's ARMv8 cryptography extensions by using the right configs & linux kernel module?

Could the driver for your PCIe/SATA card be contributing to CPU load? If so, perhaps switching to a card with a different chip could help? (Mine has a Marvell 88SE9235.)

Encryption is a good point. I don't understand enough about it at the kernel level, just how to use LUKS to lock an entire partition or ZFS encryption for a dataset.

Drivers seemingly are not the issue on PCIe as behavior is consistent despite operating system or any of the PCIe chipsets I have. This includes Marvell 88SE92xx which has had mainline Linux kernel support since kernel version 5. There are compile-time options for many drivers which is also worth exploring. Just not there yet with my Linux skill set.
Quartz64, RockPro64, PinePhone Mobian, PineBook Pro, PineTime, and all the trimmings that make FOSS fun.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How to run Raspberry Pi software on RockPro64? pk245 0 37 Yesterday, 08:20 AM
Last Post: pk245
  OPNsense for RockPro64 one8three 1 136 06-18-2022, 08:48 AM
Last Post: dkebler
  ROCKPRO64 PCI SSD SD-boot Install pspgarret 0 68 06-09-2022, 10:56 AM
Last Post: pspgarret
  RockPro64 has no white led, nor will it boot past... AnjinMeili 2 139 05-31-2022, 09:19 AM
Last Post: Rocklobster
  RockPro64 Debian xrdb -- problem connecting emarsh 0 107 05-19-2022, 09:55 AM
Last Post: emarsh
  Booting my RockPro64 from NVMe drive PsySc0rpi0n 4 2,787 05-11-2022, 02:35 PM
Last Post: PsySc0rpi0n
  rockpro64 emmc GreyLinux 8 2,624 11-08-2021, 01:56 PM
Last Post: GreyLinux
  ROCKPro64 sometimes doesn't Power On Pete Tandy 2 1,698 08-24-2021, 05:50 AM
Last Post: Pete Tandy
  Tutorial request: overclocking a rockpro64 Mentaluproar 1 1,312 08-15-2021, 01:35 PM
Last Post: dukla2000
  Did I brick my RockPro64 somehow? snarfel 1 1,580 07-20-2021, 01:40 PM
Last Post: dukla2000