Help needed: Jump drive not working
Hello there fellow PinePhoners,

I'm a Braveheart owner, who have been playing around with this device here and there whenever I have had the time to do so. At the moment I'm operating on a, boot encrypted, Mobian image from march which is flashed to the eMMC.

To make the USB-C functionality work I have done the VCONN Hardware Fix myself using a soldering iron. After flashing the updated anx7688 firmware everything worked perfectly for a couple of months (testing by connecting mouse and keyboard through a simple USB-C to USB A-hub). Until it suddenly stopped working all of a sudden.

What is even worse, is that the JumpDrive won't work anymore. I have tried different cables and setups, but whatever I do nothing shows up when i run lsblk on my desktop.

Do you guys have any idea what could have gone wrong here? I'd guess it's very possible that I have accidentally bricked the phone by trying to fix the HW issue myself.

Let me know if I should provide with you some specific log outputs or other information?

Cheers!
Not sure if this would be of any help or not, but you could try using a serial cable and see what the output is when you attempt to boot from a SD card.

I had an issue with the SD card booting and it turned out to be a hardware issue that can be solved by a setting modification in U-boot.

https://forum.pine64.org/showthread.php?tid=13775
(06-20-2021, 06:50 AM)UsnR2 Wrote: Hello there fellow PinePhoners,

I'm a Braveheart owner, who have been playing around with this device here and there whenever I have had the time to do so. At the moment I'm operating on a, boot encrypted, Mobian image from march which is flashed to the eMMC.

To make the USB-C functionality work I have done the VCONN Hardware Fix myself using a soldering iron. After flashing the updated anx7688 firmware everything worked perfectly for a couple of months (testing by connecting mouse and keyboard through a simple USB-C to USB A-hub). Until it suddenly stopped working all of a sudden.

What is even worse, is that the JumpDrive won't work anymore. I have tried different cables and setups, but whatever I do nothing shows up when i run lsblk on my desktop.

Do you guys have any idea what could have gone wrong here? I'd guess it's very possible that I have accidentally bricked the phone by trying to fix the HW issue myself.

Let me know if I should provide with you some specific log outputs or other information?

Cheers!

I would check using something else. Errors may give you a clue.

For example: what does dmesg output on your Pinephone after you hook up a usb cable to a usb drive or valid device?
- RTP

"In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities, in the expert's mind there are few." -Shunryu Suzuki

[ Pinephone Original | Pinetab v1 / v2 Enjoyer ]

Linux Device Privacy / Security Playlist

What is the VCONN hardware fix ?
Type `dmesg` in the terminal and scroll through the output to find errors that weren't there before.
Check your system with various other commands to see whether all the subsystems are working.

The last time JumpDrive wasn't working for me was because its image was corrupted, download a new one and flash it on your desktop and make sure the SD is not damaged.
(06-28-2021, 05:10 AM)mouffa Wrote: What is the VCONN hardware fix ?
https://wiki.pine64.org/wiki/PinePhone_1...rdware_Fix
Thank you for all replies. I'm sorry for replying late to this.

I have tried loads of different combinations of setups and fixes. Including reflashing the firmware by using new a factory test image. I have also tried different images (and versions) of JumpDrive. Nothing seems to help. Right now, JumpDrive will work for a minute or two, and I could see the drive and partions show up on my desktop when connecting the cable, but then it all suddenly dissappears.

When I try to connect the USB-C hub, that has worked in the past, while using Mobian I have, at times, seen the following error message when typing dmesg in the termial:
"anx7688 timeout waiting for the message queue flush", which is followed by "anx7688 power disabled".

More often I have seen something similar to:
"usb x-x: device not accepting address x, error -62"

Searching the web gives some suggestions on this error on linux forums, but they all are quite old. I have tried some of the suggested fixes, but they don't work.

The only thing I could think of, hardwarewise, that might explain why the USB-C stuff suddenly stopped working is that I used my girlfriends "supercharger" one time and left it charging the PinePhone overnight. Could it have broke the device somehow?

I should add that normal charging still works but not the overall USB-C functionality, as described above.

Again, I'm grateful for any suggestions on this issue.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  modem not working michelinux 0 868 02-16-2023, 04:56 AM
Last Post: michelinux
Lightbulb [Volunteer needed]Too high DRAM clock speed MAY be causing you random crashes/freezes devrtz 108 131,657 04-20-2022, 11:44 AM
Last Post: biketool
  Hardware switch for mic is not working properly submariner 10 7,362 01-25-2022, 07:01 AM
Last Post: wibble
  New vibration motor not working Zebulon Walton 5 5,409 11-13-2021, 03:00 AM
Last Post: kqlnut
  on off power button stopped working dcinoz 3 2,450 09-01-2021, 03:26 AM
Last Post: dcinoz
  LED not working on 3GB variant IVp 2 2,368 08-21-2021, 02:57 PM
Last Post: IVp
Sad PnePhone Braveheart Edition - Microphone NOT Working valentin 15 8,060 08-09-2021, 07:43 PM
Last Post: tllim
  Speakers not working after repair? ImmyChan 1 2,262 03-23-2021, 10:34 AM
Last Post: MtnSk8
  Digitizer not working Zdanb 1 1,990 03-17-2021, 11:45 AM
Last Post: Zdanb
  Green power LED not working Zebulon Walton 9 7,173 02-18-2021, 10:31 AM
Last Post: Zebulon Walton