Asus laptop power supply can also power Pinecil
While waiting for my pine power to arrive I noticed that the standard barrel tip power supply from all of the Asus laptops we have had from the last ~7-10 years are compatible with my pinecil.
I had noticed we had ripped some probes from a logic analyzer and was excited to get my pinecil hot after finding on arrival that the pinecil would not heat up connected to 5v USB C.
What a great mini soldering iron, it was able to dial up to 20v when connected to the Asus power supply and heated up to 300C in less than ten seconds.
Ergonomics with a right-angle laptop charge cable were not perfect but I consider that backup power option once I have a dedicated USB-C brick.
I will be sure to get another pinecil to put into my laptop bag. it makes me wonder if I got a USB-C-->USB-C cable if the laptop's C port could directly power the pinecil from battery.
When not in a workbench situation are there any neat tricks to safely cool the soldering tip?
I guess I have a cheap spiral soldering iron holder that I keep in my toolbox but I want a solution as advanced and portable as the pinecil.
Pinecil also works fine with Baseus BS-EU905 quick travel charger via USB-C output (PD@15V). Heating up to 320 Celsius within about 10 seconds.
awesome
(02-12-2021, 04:33 AM)biketool Wrote: While waiting for my pine power to arrive I noticed that the standard barrel tip power supply from all of the Asus laptops we have had from the last ~7-10 years are compatible with my pinecil.
I had noticed we had ripped some probes from a logic analyzer and was excited to get my pinecil hot after finding on arrival that the pinecil would not heat up connected to 5v USB C.
What a great mini soldering iron, it was able to dial up to 20v when connected to the Asus power supply and heated up to 300C in less than ten seconds.
Ergonomics with a right-angle laptop charge cable were not perfect but I consider that backup power option once I have a dedicated USB-C brick.
I will be sure to get another pinecil to put into my laptop bag. it makes me wonder if I got a USB-C-->USB-C cable if the laptop's C port could directly power the pinecil from battery.
When not in a workbench situation are there any neat tricks to safely cool the soldering tip?
I guess I have a cheap spiral soldering iron holder that I keep in my toolbox but I want a solution as advanced and portable as the pinecil.

That's great to know thank you! I've been trying to find out if my Acer laptop brick is compatible with the Pinecil. It's 19V / 65W with I believe a 5.5x1.7mm barrel?

[Image: IMG-0123.jpg]

Would it be safe to use a barrel jack adapter to 5.5x2.55mm for the Pinecil?

Thank you
(05-01-2022, 07:59 AM)lozza_c Wrote:
(02-12-2021, 04:33 AM)biketool Wrote: While waiting for my pine power to arrive I noticed that the standard barrel tip power supply from all of the Asus laptops we have had from the last ~7-10 years are compatible with my pinecil.

That's great to know thank you! I've been trying to find out if my Acer laptop brick is compatible with the Pinecil. It's 19V / 65W with I believe a 5.5x1.7mm barrel?

Thank you

A guy I work with broke mine using a 5521 tip and trying to twist-force the connector(broke off the center pin) it is designed with a 5525 connector.
see below, I wont give you permission but you can read these datasheets which seem to be the closest to what I see and make your own decision
https://www.cuidevices.com/product/resou...2-5525.pdf
https://www.cuidevices.com/product/resource/pj-007.pdf
also read this thread
https://forum.pine64.org/showthread.php?tid=13237
(05-02-2022, 04:33 AM)biketool Wrote:

Thank you

A guy I work with broke mine using a 5521 tip and trying to twist-force the connector(broke off the center pin) it is designed with a 5525 connector.
see below, I wont give you permission but you can read these datasheets which seem to be the closest to what I see and make your own decision
also read this thread

Thank you. I don't want to twist-force so looks like I need a 5517 to 5525 adapter. Finding one is proving difficult though!
(05-02-2022, 06:58 AM)lozza_c Wrote:
(05-02-2022, 04:33 AM)biketool Wrote:

Thank you

also read this thread

Thank you. I don't want to twist-force so looks like I need a 5517 to 5525 adapter. Finding one is proving difficult though!

You could always get a 5525 barrel tip, cut the wrong size tip off, and solder the 5525 tip on.  Many come with a nice strain relief included so look for that
(05-04-2022, 05:34 AM)biketool Wrote: You could always get a 5525 barrel tip, cut the wrong size tip off, and solder the 5525 tip on.  Many come with a nice strain relief included so look for that

That power brick I still use for my (very old) laptop occasionally, but I think I've found an elegant solution! After an afternoon of searching I managed to find some adapter tips, so it'll go 5517 to 5521, then 5521 to 5525 barrel. Couldn't find a 5517 straight to 5525 unfortunately. Hoping it shouldn't be a problem! I do try and exercise caution when it comes to all things electricity Smile
Just by way of update, I now have the adapter tips which look like this:

[Image: IMG-0128.jpg]

So that's 5517 > 5521 > 5525. It may be the long way round but this way I can keep the charger intact for my laptop. May be useful for anyone else out there with an old 5517 Acer brick.
(05-21-2022, 05:56 AM)lozza_c Wrote: Just by way of update, I now have the adapter tips which look like this:

[Image: IMG-0128.jpg]

So that's 5517 > 5521 > 5525. It may be the long way round but this way I can keep the charger intact for my laptop. May be useful for anyone else out there with an old 5517 Acer brick.

Just got my first Pinecil and wow, what a great device it is. Along with an ASUS laptop power supply, a Toshiba laptop power supply will also work, although a little shy on wattage, just 45 watts, 19V and 2.3A. but the tip is perfect and the cord is nice and soft and movable. I have also used it with an Anker 737 which is able to crank out 20V using an Anker USB C to USB C cable.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Connecting a power supply to the Pinecil jon_bondy 1 187 02-29-2024, 07:37 PM
Last Post: Okedokey
  Best power supply? naviathan 4 4,497 02-29-2024, 07:33 PM
Last Post: Okedokey
  Crippling noise from inside pinecil during a few minutes high power soldering. dreieck 2 649 01-31-2024, 12:34 AM
Last Post: suga7
Question Pinecil Tempaerature Reading jumps to Y400°C when active but stays normal when cold H3wastooshort 0 299 12-24-2023, 05:45 PM
Last Post: H3wastooshort
  Mass problem Pinecil V2 Harrysteed 0 558 11-02-2023, 09:11 AM
Last Post: Harrysteed
Question Pinecil v2 power cycles at higher voltages? clemon79 2 1,174 10-09-2023, 10:10 PM
Last Post: clemon79
  PD resets during heat up tip [Pinecil V2] Neitron4ik 2 1,435 10-09-2023, 01:22 AM
Last Post: Neitron4ik
  [Hackaday Article] All About USB-C: Pinecil Soldering Iron vajak 1 1,334 02-02-2023, 11:45 AM
Last Post: VaZso
  Brand new Pinecil v2 won't boot on PD jhutch 1 2,113 12-14-2022, 01:03 AM
Last Post: River
  Survey on Pinecil Tips, Please fill out River 0 1,196 11-06-2022, 02:43 AM
Last Post: River