PSA: Transition in progress - don't update !
Hello everyone,

As we're preparing a major transition to 5.9 kernel (and a couple other things under the hood), some packages incompatible with the current 5.8 kernel will be uploaded in the coming days.

It is recommended that you don't update your system for a few days and backup your personal data. You might even have to reflash a new image if the upgrade goes wrong (which is quite likely to happen).

Please note a u-boot upgrade will be part of the transition and will require manual action to install the new bootloader (see wiki).

Thanks for your understanding, hopefully this will be our last breaking change.
Nice! Can't make an omelette without breaking a few eggs! Been waiting for a leap forward and I hope this will be it! Thank you for the heads up and great work as always.
Looking forward to call quality improving!

@a-wai Is it possible for maintainers to invoke a freeze, ala Debian stable? Holding packages or marking packages with "Breaks: <PACKAGE>" may also be applicable?

Postulating if breakage could be avoided in future Smile
(11-03-2020, 03:39 AM)a-wai Wrote: Hello everyone,

As we're preparing a major transition to 5.9 kernel (and a couple other things under the hood), some packages incompatible with the current 5.8 kernel will be uploaded in the coming days.

It is recommended that you don't update your system for a few days and backup your personal data. You might even have to reflash a new image if the upgrade goes wrong (which is quite likely to happen).

Please note a u-boot upgrade will be part of the transition and will require manual action to install the new bootloader (see wiki).

Thanks for your understanding, hopefully this will be our last breaking change.
Thank you for the heads up. I updated last night(have been everyday), also have  been following with the u-boot upgrade. Since the middle of the week the authentification box had popped up with no access to the keyboard , but i was able to hit cancel and move  onto the original lock code page.
Looking forward!
(11-03-2020, 07:55 AM)jed Wrote: @a-wai Is it possible for maintainers to invoke a freeze, ala Debian stable? Holding packages or marking packages with "Breaks: <PACKAGE>" may also be applicable?

Yes, that's probably gonna happen around the bullseye freeze (a couple months from now). ATM, I'm taking advantage of Mobian's alpha status to still allow breakages Wink
@a-wai

Will this be a "Status Update" ?

So possibly November 05 ?

Thank you very much for all that you do
      LINUX = CHOICES
         **BCnAZ**
               Idea
   Donate to $upport
your favorite OS Team
Oops, too late. Saw this after heading here to see what happened to my upgrade. Time for a shiny new mobian image! Keep up the great work on Mobian!
(11-03-2020, 04:17 PM)puffchumpy Wrote: Oops, too late. Saw this after heading here to see what happened to my upgrade. Time for a shiny new mobian image! Keep up the great work on Mobian!

Yep same for me, but I'm excited to see what's next. I have tried a lot of distros but Mobian is really out in front, even at this early stage. Calls, SMS and mobile data are all working very reliably for me on the Telstra network in Australia.
(11-03-2020, 04:17 PM)puffchumpy Wrote: Oops, too late. Saw this after heading here to see what happened to my upgrade. Time for a shiny new mobian image! Keep up the great work on Mobian!

#metoo !

No problem breaking eggs - it is fully expected by me in the search for progress.

more strength to your arm @a-wai  and all the devs working around phoc, allwinner, debian etc.
  • ROCKPro64 v2.1 2GB, 16Gb eMMC for rootfs, SX8200Pro 512GB NVMe for /home, HDMI video & sound, Bluetooth keyboard & mouse. Arch (6.2 kernel, Openbox desktop) for general purpose daily PC.
  • PinePhone Pro Explorer Edition, daily driver, rk2aw & U-boot on SPI, Arch/SXMO & Arch/phosh on eMMC
  • PinePhone BraveHeart now v1.2b 3/32Gb, Tow-boot with Arch/SXMO on eMMC
FYI, latest nighly should work fine, and may be stable enough; I can not guarantee this one is future-proof yet, but we're getting closer Wink

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  how to update mobian over tor vusra 13 6,471 07-09-2023, 08:57 PM
Last Post: vusra
  Wifi doesn't work after update nickolas 2 1,122 04-14-2023, 10:07 AM
Last Post: nickolas
  PinePhone won't boot after software update jb2000 2 1,231 03-17-2023, 07:26 AM
Last Post: Zebulon Walton
Exclamation Impossible to login since the latest update anonymous 12 3,848 02-26-2023, 01:01 PM
Last Post: anonymous
Exclamation The latest update of eg25-manager seems to cause frequent disconnections anonymous 12 3,984 11-28-2022, 03:30 PM
Last Post: anonymous
  Wifi issue since last update and held back updates goku499 11 4,926 09-21-2022, 02:39 PM
Last Post: Katsujinken
  [SOLVED] Lost Internet connectivity after recent update drh 3 1,737 09-11-2022, 09:24 PM
Last Post: Katsujinken
  Rescue Your Mobian post Update Aug22 faster fix to working guide biketool 9 4,449 09-05-2022, 12:10 AM
Last Post: biketool
  Loving latest Mobian Update drh 11 4,737 08-22-2022, 12:19 PM
Last Post: biketool
  apt-get update "The following signatures were invalid..." grump_fiddle_reinstall 13 7,852 08-22-2022, 10:28 AM
Last Post: Eugo