Wifi issue since last update and held back updates
Hello,
I'm using Mobian bookworm since a long time now.
Since last update the Wifi has been broken and I can't connect to my AP. So I can't update.
Also I've had tons of held back package updates since a long time.
I'm thinking about reinstalling the whole OS from scratch but I would like to keep my data.
Do we have a guide on this?
Thank you.
(09-08-2022, 03:15 AM)goku499 Wrote: Hello,
Since last update the Wifi has been broken and I can't connect to my AP. So I can't update.
I'm thinking about reinstalling the whole OS from scratch but I would like to keep my data.
Thank you.

I am having similar problems, my date was stucked at august 27th, I fixed with ntp but can't reach any website, including the debian and mobian repos. But my wifi works fine, I can run apt update && apt upgrade using tor
(09-08-2022, 03:35 AM)user641 Wrote:
Thank you.

I am having similar problems, my date was stucked at august 27th, I fixed with ntp but can't reach any website, including the debian and mobian repos. But my wifi works fine, I can run apt update && apt upgrade using tor

I Was having the exact same problem: after a recent update, wifi was on seemed to be connected, but there was no internet connectivity.

Luckily the solution in this thread worked for me: https://forum.pine64.org/showthread.php?tid=17288
(09-10-2022, 01:38 PM)tcharlss Wrote:
Thank you.

I Was having the exact same problem: after a recent update, wifi was on seemed to be connected, but there was no internet connectivity.

Luckily the solution in this thread worked for me: https://forum.pine64.org/showthread.php?tid=17288

I tried the solution in the thread provided. I posted there that it didn't work but no one replied with alternate solutions. Is there anything that can be suggested in regards to resolving this issue. If I have to do a full reinstall that's fine but can anyone confirm that's all that can be done or what?
(09-19-2022, 09:34 AM)Katsujinken Wrote:
Thank you.

I tried the solution in the thread provided. I posted there that it didn't work but no one replied with alternate solutions. Is there anything that can be suggested in regards to resolving this issue. If I have to do a full reinstall that's fine but can anyone confirm that's all that can be done or what?

It might help if you share the content of your /etc/resolv.conf
It might help if you share the filename your /etc/resolv.conf is pointing to (readlink /etc/resolv.conf)
could someone cut/paste the holdbacks please
Also carefully run apt update and then apt dist-upgrade and see what system files it want to delete; please cut/paste that list and then cancel the dist-upgrade or you will get a partly hosed system.
There is a gnome packages clash which for some of us makes us choose between chatty(SMS & IM app) or being able to access contacts I laso lost the redshift for night functionality probably more.
(09-19-2022, 10:18 AM)jsch Wrote:
(09-19-2022, 09:34 AM)Katsujinken Wrote:
Thank you.

It might help if you share the content of your /etc/resolv.conf
It might help if you share the filename your /etc/resolv.conf is pointing to (readlink /etc/resolv.conf)

When I enter...

Code:
sudo ln -sf /run/NetworkManager/resolv.conf /etc/resolv.conf

I get no confirmation from terminal one way or the other about what it does. It just goes right back to the command prompt.
In linux, after entering and executing a command and no confirmation message (or any message at all) and all that appears is blank command prompt means that the command executed successfully.

This was the same for me when I executed the same command. I rebooted immediately and checked my wifi settings to make sure they were intact and being used.

I jokingly describe this as no news is good news. Alternatively, if there was a problem after executing the command, the system would notify me of it by displaying a message. Otherwise, the command was successful.

I cannot explain why Linux works this way. I just accept it.

The other thing that I have learned is that if the problem persists after successfully executing a command, then this tells me to look for a different solution to the problem. It is an opportunity to think about unexpected causes of the problem. Sometimes the cause is simpler than I originally thought, and when this happens I feel like a goof for not thinking of it first.

If your inability to use wifi persists, then what I would do (if possible) is use the PP hub (if you have it) and connect to the internet via an ethernet cable. If this does not work, then the issue is deeper in the system than just wifi connectivity. If it does work, then you can complete updates and see if it resolves the issue.

Keep at it. Do what makes most sense to you. Continue to ask for help when stumped. Provide lots of info. Hope to hear that you resolve the wifi issue soon.
(09-20-2022, 11:00 AM)drh Wrote: In linux, after entering and executing a command and no confirmation message (or any message at all) and all that appears is blank command prompt means that the command executed successfully.

This was the same for me when I executed the same command. I rebooted immediately and checked my wifi settings to make sure they were intact and being used.

I jokingly describe this as no news is good news. Alternatively, if there was a problem after executing the command, the system would notify me of it by displaying a message. Otherwise, the command was successful.

I cannot explain why Linux works this way. I just accept it.

It's a holdover from ancient Unix systems where output is kept as terse as possible because you'd usually be working on a Teletype or other hardcopy terminal, or a primitive CRT terminal on a slow serial connection. It's also why bang editing (with "!") is still supported in most Linux shells. In the old days it frequently was not possible to pull back a command line to fix a typographical error using cursor keys (you might not even have those), so at a hardcopy terminal you might wind up doing something like this if you say mistyped a filename:

Code:
$ rm deelete.me
rm: cannot remove 'deeleteme': No such file or directory

$ !!:s/dee/de
rm deleteme

All very terse and easy to do on a hardcopy or slow CRT terminal. Since I worked with Unix systems over 40 years ago I have lots of kruft like that floating around in my brain.

You can thank these guys (note the Teletypes being used as hardcopy terminals):

[Image: 749px-Ken_Thompson_%28sitting%29_and_Den...463%29.jpg]
Well I appreciate your help everyone but I've decided to just wipe & reinstall. What's the latest good build I should use?

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New keyboard issue sandspur 29 11,642 10-05-2023, 02:27 AM
Last Post: grump_fiddle_reinstall
  packages held back user641 7 1,147 09-18-2023, 03:05 PM
Last Post: diederik
  No volume control after latest updates Zebulon Walton 19 6,657 09-08-2023, 08:28 AM
Last Post: jessencan
  Problem with updates: Repository 'Debian bookworm' changed its 'non-free component' Anna 7 1,910 08-31-2023, 12:38 PM
Last Post: vusra
  reset wifi hardware/driver when it dies through console on pp? tuxcall 4 1,776 07-18-2023, 08:54 AM
Last Post: junelung
  GStreamer Camera Issue (Unsupported pixformat: 0x56595559 with mbus code: 0x3001) sog8b 1 1,134 07-17-2023, 01:49 AM
Last Post: junelung
  how to update mobian over tor vusra 13 6,540 07-09-2023, 08:57 PM
Last Post: vusra
  Haven't seen updates in a while Zebulon Walton 3 1,134 06-24-2023, 04:29 PM
Last Post: Zebulon Walton
  Wifi doesn't work after update nickolas 2 1,138 04-14-2023, 10:07 AM
Last Post: nickolas
  PinePhone won't boot after software update jb2000 2 1,249 03-17-2023, 07:26 AM
Last Post: Zebulon Walton