Possible to upgrade PBP with NVMe M.2 1TB SSD from Sabrent?
I tried using this: https://store.pine64.org/product/pineboo...e-adapter/ to upgrade my PBP storage capacity using these instructions: https://forum.pine64.org/showthread.php?tid=4971 but after the "sudo cp -avx / /mnt" command it makes my "kernel panic" and the power light starts flashing red and green.

On the second try of restarting the laptop I'm able to log back in like normal, so is this behaviour a sign that I can't use this high amount of an SSD, or is i possible as long as uboot is in the right spot? Not sure how to do that though if so.

Thanks in advance!
what are the specs of power consumption for that drive? M.2 drives that are power hungry will not play well with the PBP. If Sabrent doesn't ake those numbers available, try checking with nvme-cli.

When you boot normally, does your OS not already see the drive installed?
(08-14-2020, 06:23 AM)tophneal Wrote: what are the specs of power consumption for that drive? M.2 drives that are power hungry will not play well with the PBP. If Sabrent doesn't ake those numbers available, try checking with nvme-cli.

I'm not sure what the specs are for power consumption, but I installed nvme-cli, so what commands should I use for the info you're looking for? FWIW, the SSD I'm trying to add had data on it, but I'm not sure if it does anymore, I just see the size of it when I use "lsblk"

But yes the OS does see it installed when I use "lsblk", but when I follow that guide to mount it and use it from boot, it panics after that certain command.
(08-15-2020, 07:52 AM)kkdao Wrote:
(08-14-2020, 06:23 AM)tophneal Wrote: what are the specs of power consumption for that drive? M.2 drives that are power hungry will not play well with the PBP. If Sabrent doesn't ake those numbers available, try checking with nvme-cli.

I'm not sure what the specs are for power consumption, but I installed nvme-cli, so what commands should I use for the info you're looking for? FWIW, the SSD I'm trying to add had data on it, but I'm not sure if it does anymore, I just see the size of it when I use "lsblk"

But yes the OS does see it installed when I use "lsblk", but when I follow that guide to mount it and use it from boot, it panics after that certain command.

I'm slightly confused about what you have done.  Are you using the sabrent in the pcie nvme adapter?  If so,  you should see the device as /dev/nvme0n1, I think.  (i.e. not sda1) .  If you are trying to replicate the SD or EMMC system which is booted, you would need to use DD or rsync, not copy, I believe.  Could you tell us which system you have booted,  on which device,  and how the sabrent  shows up  when you run 
lsblk..  Perhaps we can help more then.  I believe the instructions you were following were for a rock64 for a particular system....
(08-15-2020, 04:32 PM)belfastraven Wrote:
(08-15-2020, 07:52 AM)kkdao Wrote:

I'm slightly confused about what you have done.  Are you using the sabrent in the pcie nvme adapter?  If so,  you should see the device as /dev/nvme0n1, I think.  (i.e. not sda1) .  If you are trying to replicate the SD or EMMC system which is booted, you would need to use DD or rsync, not copy, I believe.  Could you tell us which system you have booted,  on which device,  and how the sabrent  shows up  when you run 
lsblk..  Perhaps we can help more then.  I believe the instructions you were following were for a rock64 for a particular system....

Yes I'm using the sabrent ssd which I've connected to this: https://store.pine64.org/?product=pinebo...ce-adapter

Yes when I use lsblk I see the device as /dev/nvme0n1

So yes I am trying to replicate that, but i'm not sure how to use DD or rsync for that

I have the Manjaro KDE system that comes with the PBP default, that is booted on the eMMC (assuming you are referring to this when you ask "which device"?)

lsblk looks like this:

NAME        MAJ:MIN RM  SIZE RO TYPE MOUNTPOINT
mmcblk2      179:0    0  58.2G  0 disk
├─mmcblk2p1  179:1    0 213.6M  0 part /boot
└─mmcblk2p2  179:2    0    58G  0 part /
mmcblk2boot0 179:32  0    4M  1 disk
mmcblk2boot1 179:64  0    4M  1 disk
zram0        252:0    0  5.6G  0 disk [SWAP]
nvme0n1      259:0    0 953.9G  0 disk
└─nvme0n1p1  259:1    0 953.8G  0 part

Ah okay that makes sense if they were for a rock64
you should look at the wiki. There are two ways to switch to your SSD on the PBP: keeping /boot on the emmc and putting the rest onto the nvme, or using a uboot fork that supports nvme that's written to your SPI. both should be detailed more on the wiki page. The SPI stuff probably more so here in the forums.
(08-15-2020, 09:13 PM)tophneal Wrote: you should look at the wiki. There are two ways to switch to your SSD on the PBP: keeping /boot on the emmc and putting the rest onto the nvme, or using a uboot fork that supports nvme that's written to your SPI. both should be detailed more on the wiki page. The SPI stuff probably more so here in the forums.
i don't know what an SPI is, but what wiki page are you referring to specifically? i don't mind looking at the wiki and following steps for one of the two possible options you mentioned as long as it's possible that's all i'm after here..
(08-15-2020, 10:29 PM)kkdao Wrote: i don't know what an SPI is, but what wiki page are you referring to specifically? i don't mind looking at the wiki and following steps for one of the two possible options you mentioned as long as it's possible that's all i'm after here..

Hum... if you don't mind, why not go to the wiki, and clic ... let's say... pinebook pro page ?
https://wiki.pine64.org/index.php/Pinebook_Pro
(08-16-2020, 04:59 AM)rimaille Wrote:
(08-15-2020, 10:29 PM)kkdao Wrote: i don't know what an SPI is, but what wiki page are you referring to specifically? i don't mind looking at the wiki and following steps for one of the two possible options you mentioned as long as it's possible that's all i'm after here..

Hum... if you don't mind, why not go to the wiki, and clic ... let's say... pinebook pro page ?
https://wiki.pine64.org/index.php/Pinebook_Pro
Humm that's quite a general link and I wouldn't be here asking for help if I didn't know which links to follow exactly. The hubris from people with more technical experience with a subject is amazing... If I knew I wouldn't be asking, so maybe don't be part of this forum if you don't want inexperienced people asking questions about the product they bought and it's potential capabilities
About the middle of that page, a heading
----------
Using the optional NVMe adapter
-----------
the command to find info

sudo nvme id-ctrl /dev/nvme0
A little more down, command to set power level
A bit more down, another heading
-------------------
Using the SPI flash device
-------------------
There is another link, not in that section,,
but this is up a couple of levels (or more)
https://wiki.pine64.org/index.php/Pinebook_Pro_SPI

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New Working nVME gilwood 0 155 02-12-2024, 08:46 AM
Last Post: gilwood
  NVME problems 2022 / Intel 660p 1TB Starbug 1 1,417 04-04-2023, 12:16 PM
Last Post: globaltree
Thumbs Up NVMe adapter, Great addition dachalife 2 1,725 11-28-2022, 12:56 PM
Last Post: dachalife
  NVMe drives not detected mattpenn 12 10,035 03-05-2022, 04:53 AM
Last Post: mattpenn
  NVme intall usage? tkudog 2 2,794 03-04-2022, 01:29 AM
Last Post: Tazdevl
  Anyone selling a spare NVMe adapter in Europe? tom.tomasz 1 1,793 01-03-2022, 07:57 AM
Last Post: tom.tomasz
  NVMe-related crashes and instability, plus a solution simonsouth 13 14,358 12-10-2021, 07:47 PM
Last Post: josmo
  NVMe SSD testing methodology halogen 1 2,555 07-22-2021, 05:57 PM
Last Post: calinb
Question Battery stops charging and NVMe and other media disconnect randomly Eey0zu6O 4 4,629 07-09-2021, 08:45 PM
Last Post: moonwalkers
  nvme drive disappears after about an hour of uptime codebreaker 25 31,443 02-09-2021, 11:32 PM
Last Post: dsimic