SSH not working
I've enabled ssh and gone into my sharing folder and enabled that as well and running
Code:
ssh mobian.local
lets me ssh into my phone from my phone (pretty useless) but trying through my terminal and through Putty I haven't been able to connect to the phone through SSH. It seems to time out every time. Anyone else having this problem?
(08-03-2021, 11:01 AM)ragreenburg Wrote: I've enabled ssh and gone into my sharing folder and enabled that as well and running
Code:
ssh mobian.local
lets me ssh into my phone from my phone (pretty useless) but trying through my terminal and through Putty I haven't been able to connect to the phone through SSH. It seems to time out every time. Anyone else having this problem?

I'm not sure if ssh works without supplying a user name (mobian in your case probably). Try "ssh mobian@[IP address]", that should work. You can find your phone's IP address by entering "ip a" in your phone's terminal.
(08-03-2021, 04:33 PM)kqlnut Wrote:
(08-03-2021, 11:01 AM)ragreenburg Wrote: I've enabled ssh and gone into my sharing folder and enabled that as well and running
Code:
ssh mobian.local

I'm not sure if ssh works without supplying a user name (mobian in your case probably). Try "ssh mobian@[IP address]", that should work. You can find your phone's IP address by entering "ip a" in your phone's terminal.
That's what I've been doing through my terminal and isn't working. In Putty I get a timeout error and in my terminal it just sits there and does nothing for minutes at a time before I cancel the command. Also, for anyone seeing this in the future, it is much easier to see your IP with
Code:
hostname -I
Do you have a firewall configured that may be blocking it? I use ssh and sshfs to get into my Pinephone all the time and have had no problems. My firewall is configured to only allow incoming ssh connections from reserved LAN addresses (10.0.0.0/8, 172.16.0.0/12, 192.168.0.0/16) so I can ssh in from just about any LAN I'm connected to.
Does your wifi have AP isolation enabled? It would block connections between wifi devices.
(08-05-2021, 11:15 AM)Zebulon Walton Wrote: Do you have a firewall configured that may be blocking it? I use ssh and sshfs to get into my Pinephone all the time and have had no problems. My firewall is configured to only allow incoming ssh connections from reserved LAN addresses (10.0.0.0/8, 172.16.0.0/12, 192.168.0.0/16) so I can ssh in from just about any LAN I'm connected to.

I don't know, I am using the internet at work for this. Though I do recall being able to do it in late 2020 before the PP was my daily driver but it isn't working now.

(08-05-2021, 05:18 PM)8bit Wrote: Does your wifi have AP isolation enabled? It would block connections between wifi devices.
No clue, but I put it on mobile data and it still hasn't been working.
Mobile data is even less likely to work, at least if using IPV4 addresses, since typically carrier-grade NAT is used on those connections. It would be like trying to connect to a home computer via IPV4 where you'd need port forwarding set up in the router. However you're not able to do that with carrier-grade NAT since it's under your service provider's control. (Even if using IPV6 depending how your carrier has that configured you may not be able to connect.)

For test purposes I would take it down to the simplest case on your home network, which is under your control, and see if you can connect.

Just a thought, did you set a non-standard port for sshd on the Pinephone? If so you'd need to specify the port in putty or use the "-p" option if running ssh client from the command line.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Mobile internet via cellular network mostly not working Anna 18 9,722 01-19-2024, 02:59 AM
Last Post: anonymous
Exclamation The internal speaker stops working anonymous 6 814 01-17-2024, 05:53 PM
  APN settings not working with new operator SIM card user641 1 963 03-01-2023, 04:43 PM
  Possible Solution for Microphone Not Working Ferriah 0 904 02-13-2023, 01:09 PM
Last Post: Ferriah
  Squeekboard stopped working Zebulon Walton 2 1,101 11-24-2022, 08:41 PM
Last Post: Zebulon Walton
  suspend inhibit no longer working jsch 3 1,886 10-23-2022, 09:20 AM
Last Post: LibrePhoneUser
  Rescue Your Mobian post Update Aug22 faster fix to working guide biketool 9 4,498 09-05-2022, 12:10 AM
Last Post: biketool
  How to get Pinetime working with Pinephone arkadione 12 6,950 08-28-2022, 12:30 PM
Last Post: Fish
  Receiving SMS stopped working treebeard 11 5,238 08-12-2022, 10:31 AM
Last Post: treebeard
  PP keyboard not working at all jojuma 3 1,694 08-03-2022, 10:02 AM
Last Post: jojuma