Axolotl on PinePhone / Mobian
(02-01-2021, 04:18 PM)ragreenburg Wrote:
(02-01-2021, 02:32 PM)arno_nuehm Wrote:
(02-01-2021, 01:04 PM)ragreenburg Wrote:
(02-01-2021, 12:11 PM)arno_nuehm Wrote:
(02-01-2021, 12:02 PM)ragreenburg Wrote: I am up to date on Mobian and basically what I did was take the code section for the Manual Installation and made that into a shell script and just ran that.

My installation of 0.9.6 went fine.

Please follow the commands in the code section step-by-step - it's uncomfortable, but it works. And let me know, if it worked for you.
I am getting the sqlite3 error on this line when I do it line by line:

env GOOS=linux GOARCH=arm64 go build -o build/linux-arm64/axolotl .

So should I just try and flash my SD card again and try from there?

No, spare yourself the work.

Was it an sqlite3 error or just a warning? And was the go build successful?

If it was just a warning and the build was successful, do the last two cp-commands and create the desktop-files.

It should work then.
It works so that I can see the app icon though it unfortunately isn't launching.

Please check your PMs.
Is there a way to get a sound notification of incoming messages? I get the LED flashing blue, and the pull-down status bar has notifications on it. But I get no ping/ring/...
  • ROCKPro64 v2.1 2GB, 16Gb eMMC for rootfs, SX8200Pro 512GB NVMe for /home, HDMI video & sound, Bluetooth keyboard & mouse. Arch (6.2 kernel, Openbox desktop) for general purpose daily PC.
  • PinePhone Pro Explorer Edition, daily driver, rk2aw & U-boot on SPI, Arch/SXMO & Arch/phosh on eMMC
  • PinePhone BraveHeart now v1.2b 3/32Gb, Tow-boot with Arch/SXMO on eMMC
(02-03-2021, 03:27 PM)dukla2000 Wrote: Is there a way to get a sound notification of incoming messages? I get the LED flashing blue, and the pull-down status bar has notifications on it. But I get no ping/ring/...

Haven't tried it yet but it would be nice to have, indeed.

I think, that one has to dive deeper into Mobian to let Axolotl use sound/vibration notification as Chatty does...

Btw: Did your registration get along well? There are some discussions in the Axolotl_dev group that this isn't working with Ubuntu Touch - neither with 4G nor from wifi.
(02-04-2021, 04:05 AM)arno_nuehm Wrote: ...

I think, that one has to dive deeper into Mobian to let Axolotl use sound/vibration notification as Chatty does...

I have noticed it is not in the Gnome notifications list of applications (Settings, Notifications) but don't know how to manually add it there. I guess a side effect of not doing an apt install?

Btw: Did your registration get along well?

Absolutely flawless: first start took a little while (maybe 30 seconds?), was presented with a screen to type my number and it worked straight away. Not only that but my previous handset that was registered with proper Signal with that number has also been disconnected.

Only other challenge I have is with groups: my old groups work but I am getting messages from each member rather than the group. And while I can setup a new group my messages to it fail and the members cannot see the new group to initiate any chats.
  • ROCKPro64 v2.1 2GB, 16Gb eMMC for rootfs, SX8200Pro 512GB NVMe for /home, HDMI video & sound, Bluetooth keyboard & mouse. Arch (6.2 kernel, Openbox desktop) for general purpose daily PC.
  • PinePhone Pro Explorer Edition, daily driver, rk2aw & U-boot on SPI, Arch/SXMO & Arch/phosh on eMMC
  • PinePhone BraveHeart now v1.2b 3/32Gb, Tow-boot with Arch/SXMO on eMMC
(02-04-2021, 04:34 AM)dukla2000 Wrote:

I have noticed it is not in the Gnome notifications list of applications (Settings, Notifications) but don't know how to manually add it there. I guess a side effect of not doing an apt install?

Btw: Did your registration get along well?

Absolutely flawless: first start took a little while (maybe 30 seconds?), was presented with a screen to type my number and it worked straight away. Not only that but my previous handset that was registered with proper Signal with that number has also been disconnected.

Only other challenge I have is with groups: my old groups work but I am getting messages from each member rather than the group. And while I can setup a new group my messages to it fail and the members cannot see the new group to initiate any chats.

Notifications: Yes, if it is not installed via apt, it is missing in the Settings. I tried some gsetting stuff to register Axolotl directly to feedbackd but it didn't work.

Groups: The new groups (v2Groups) feature is not yet implemented in Axolotl. The devs are working on it and it seems, there are a lot of upstream changes to be considered, too.
What's the proper way to update Axolotl once you have it installed? "git pull", "go get -u", and then rebuild with the last two steps from the installation tutorial? I don't know how go works, but it would be cool to know how to update the app including the dependencies without redoing the whole procedure.
(02-11-2021, 03:29 AM)kqlnut Wrote: What's the proper way to update Axolotl once you have it installed? "git pull", "go get -u", and then rebuild with the last two steps from the installation tutorial? I don't know how go works, but it would be cool to know how to update the app including the dependencies without redoing the whole procedure.

That is a good question. I usually rename the ~/home/go folder, since it is only used for Axolotl in my case and then redo every step - which is awfully inconvenient.

But I will dig into it later!

Cheers
(02-11-2021, 03:54 AM)arno_nuehm Wrote:
(02-11-2021, 03:29 AM)kqlnut Wrote: What's the proper way to update Axolotl once you have it installed? "git pull", "go get -u", and then rebuild with the last two steps from the installation tutorial? I don't know how go works, but it would be cool to know how to update the app including the dependencies without redoing the whole procedure.

That is a good question. I usually rename the ~/home/go folder, since it is only used for Axolotl in my case and then redo every step - which is awfully inconvenient.

Cheers
I did update just now by going into the axolotl folder, running "git pull", "go get -u" and then rebuilding with the last two steps in your instructions. The app runs fine and shows the updated version. But I'm not sure if I correctly updated the dependencies with these steps ... Updates for stuff like textsecure v1.2.13 showed up, but I don't know if that's enough to have it all in the right place.
(02-11-2021, 04:05 AM)kqlnut Wrote:

Cheers
I did update just now by going into the axolotl folder, running "git pull", "go get -u" and then rebuilding with the last two steps in your instructions. The app runs fine and shows the updated version. But I'm not sure if I correctly updated the dependencies with these steps ... Updates for stuff like textsecure v1.2.13 showed up, but I don't know if that's enough to have it all in the right place.

The update works with
Code:
go get -d -u

followed by all other steps. It takes round about two minutes to update. Comfortable.

I wrote an experimental install script, which should be able to update:

https://github.com/nuehm-arno/axolotl-mobian-installer

Please have a look and try it, if you like. And feel free to give me some feedback.
(02-11-2021, 08:48 AM)arno_nuehm Wrote:
(02-11-2021, 04:05 AM)kqlnut Wrote:

Cheers

The update works with
Code:
go get -d -u

followed by all other steps. It takes round about two minutes to update. Comfortable.

I wrote an experimental install script, which should be able to update:

https://github.com/nuehm-arno/axolotl-mobian-installer

Please have a look and try it, if you like. And feel free to give me some feedback.
Great, thank you very much! In your script, every step is run regardless if it's an update or a new installation. Not sure if it would take a long time again to redo the whole npm part? Maybe do a quick and dirty check first if the build folder is present (so if Axolotl has been built before and thus npm has been installed) or check more thoroughly for the prerequisites and then only run the neccessary steps.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  bookworm vs trixie discussion for mobian in pinephone regular. zetabeta 15 1,513 03-25-2024, 09:07 AM
Last Post: anonymous
  cant verify mobian image at website gnugpg penguins_rule 0 70 03-18-2024, 08:54 PM
Last Post: penguins_rule
  unofficial kali linux for pinephone help needed pinesmell 5 3,449 01-08-2024, 02:50 PM
Last Post: ERPlegend
  mobian installed to eMMC - how to install tow-boot grump_fiddle_reinstall 6 1,710 11-22-2023, 11:46 AM
Last Post: aLoop100o
  What actions needed to keep on mobian testing user641 3 1,687 09-05-2023, 06:44 AM
Last Post: Zebulon Walton
  Mobian boot failed with zstd message after upgrade. Mahgue 0 580 09-01-2023, 11:29 AM
Last Post: Mahgue
  how to update mobian over tor vusra 13 6,540 07-09-2023, 08:57 PM
Last Post: vusra
  opensnitch outbound firewall now works on mobian vusra 2 1,798 07-09-2023, 01:37 AM
  Using Nativefier on PP64 with Mobian paulcarton 0 577 07-05-2023, 03:57 AM
Last Post: paulcarton
  Has anyone got briar-desktop running on mobian? vusra 5 2,861 06-19-2023, 03:02 PM