No ability to cancel out of Applications in Both KDE Plasma AND Mobian
I got my KDE Plasma edition pine phone in early February. Took me a day or two to open things up...

When I did I noticed I could not "x" out of applications, in order to exit from an application I had to either restart or shut down the phone.

(Just for the record: I alerted Pine to this issue at the support e-mail with photos of the original OS not working properly on February 5th, got an e-mail reply ( automated?) that if I needed to open a ticket...which I did last night...I was trying to avoid making a deal about something that I thought should be able to be fixed with an OS flash)  

So I figured it was a bad OS flash, and downloaded the jump drive from the link kindly provided by Pine at the wiki page...

I flashed the phone with the latest release of KDE plasma Mobile...some things seemed "OK", The "x" at the bottom of the phone appeared, and my sim card worked ( yay) and the only problem was sending SMS that did not work. There were some issues...some lags some screen flicker as well at times, then a few days later while plugged in to charge the phone crashed....it would not start back up again...Wifi toggle switch was in the "off" position, mobile data was on...

Well that was enough of KDE Plasma for me , so I decided to flash the Feb 7th build of Mobian to the phone. Guess what, SAME ISSUE as originally came with the factory KDE Plasma! I could only open applications, not close them...very, very weird. No updates helped with this issue

any suggestions? I cant be sure if it's a hardware ( eMMC ?) or software issue...

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

(02-10-2021, 03:56 AM)Basic Wrote: When I did I noticed I could not "x" out of applications, in order to exit from an application I had to either restart or shut down the phone.

It helped if the only application you opened was Discover and you performed an full system update with it. Then the screen bottom buttons appeared and the phone was sort of usable. Similar reports were in Manjaro subsection of this forum.
Phosh (default UI in Mobian) removed the 'X' a few revisions ago in favour of using a swipe action to close.
(02-10-2021, 03:56 AM)Basic Wrote: I got my KDE Plasma edition pine phone in early February. Took me a day or two to open things up...

When I did I noticed I could not "x" out of applications, in order to exit from an application I had to either restart or shut down the phone.

(Just for the record: I alerted Pine to this issue at the support e-mail with photos of the original OS not working properly on February 5th, got an e-mail reply ( automated?) that if I needed to open a ticket...which I did last night...I was trying to avoid making a deal about something that I thought should be able to be fixed with an OS flash)  

So I figured it was a bad OS flash, and downloaded the jump drive from the link kindly provided by Pine at the wiki page...

I flashed the phone with the latest release of KDE plasma Mobile...some things seemed "OK", The "x" at the bottom of the phone appeared, and my sim card worked ( yay) and the only problem was sending SMS that did not work. There were some issues...some lags some screen flicker as well at times, then a few days later while plugged in to charge the phone crashed....it would not start back up again...Wifi toggle switch was in the "off" position, mobile data was on...

Well that was enough of KDE Plasma for me , so I decided to flash the Feb 7th build of Mobian to the phone. Guess what, SAME ISSUE as originally came with the factory KDE Plasma! I could only open applications, not close them...very, very weird. No updates helped with this issue

any suggestions? I cant be sure if it's a hardware ( eMMC ?) or software issue...

Some UI's (Phosh) have swipe to close, but your screenshots look like Plasma Mobile which from my testing is still pretty buggy. With that said, all the distros and UI's for the phone are still largely a work in progress. Plasma Mobile specifically still has some bugs to work out, and is really not ready for daily consumer use. Probably the closest UI ready for daily use is Phosh, but even that has some bugs. SMS (not MMS) works on most but not all distros, and the wifi and mobile data can be glitchy depending on the distro as well. At this point the PinePhone was really released for developers who are trying to get software running on mobile as well as the devs that are trying to work out all the bugs in the distro, UI, modem, etc.  For early adopters, patience is the key. The OS will get there eventually, but for now try out different distros and UI's to see what works best for you.
View my projects at: https://gitlab.com/users/The3DmaN/projects or at the3dman.gitlab.io you can also find me on Matrix in many of the Pine related channels.
(02-10-2021, 05:13 AM)acrux Wrote:
(02-10-2021, 03:56 AM)Basic Wrote: When I did I noticed I could not "x" out of applications, in order to exit from an application I had to either restart or shut down the phone.

It helped if the only application you opened was Discover and you performed an full system update with it. Then the screen bottom buttons appeared and the phone was sort of usable. Similar reports were in Manjaro subsection of this forum.

Not Exactly, the phone was from the latest batch of Manjaro KDE Plasma. It was not working out of the box.

I flashed with Jump Drive to the latest Manjaro Plasma Mobile. Then it sort of worked ( no SMS) , crashed just plugged it to charge, no applications running that I know of...

Now same issue on Mobian, and neither swiping or toggle keys do not work.

(02-10-2021, 09:07 AM)The3DmaN Wrote:
(02-10-2021, 03:56 AM)Basic Wrote: I got my KDE Plasma edition pine phone in early February. Took me a day or two to open things up...

Some UI's (Phosh) have swipe to close, but your screenshots look like Plasma Mobile which from my testing is still pretty buggy. With that said, all the distros and UI's for the phone are still largely a work in progress. Plasma Mobile specifically still has some bugs to work out, and is really not ready for daily consumer use. Probably the closest UI ready for daily use is Phosh, but even that has some bugs. SMS (not MMS) works on most but not all distros, and the wifi and mobile data can be glitchy depending on the distro as well. At this point the PinePhone was really released for developers who are trying to get software running on mobile as well as the devs that are trying to work out all the bugs in the distro, UI, modem, etc.  For early adopters, patience is the key. The OS will get there eventually, but for now try out different distros and UI's to see what works best for you.

One pic is Manjaro KDE Plasma Mobile, the OTHER is...Mobian. The phone came with Manjaro just this month... I put Mobian on it and it has the same issues!

Swiping to exit applications does not work on Mobian for me, I just tried it every way I could, but to no effect...in any case thank you for the suggestion.  Mobian says I am Up to date....

Wifi works great on Mobian BTW, both Mobian and Manjaro read my SIM card. I wonder if it's bad /"unlucky" RAM, or some other hardware issue.
(02-11-2021, 08:56 AM)Basic Wrote: One pic is Manjaro KDE Plasma Mobile, the OTHER is...Mobian. The phone came with Manjaro just this month... I put Mobian on it and it has the same issues!

Swiping to exit applications does not work on Mobian for me, I just tried it every way I could, but to no effect...in any case thank you for the suggestion.  Mobian says I am Up to date....

Wifi works great on Mobian BTW, both Mobian and Manjaro read my SIM card. I wonder if it's bad /"unlucky" RAM, or some other hardware issue.

May want to give Arch a try. Arch is similar to Manjaro but more stable. I have not tried Mobian much so I can not speak to that. As for sms that should be working on both Arch, Mobian and Manjaro but obviously that can also be dependant on your carrier. I am on T-Mobile and it works great. As for swiping up on apps to close them, I know that works fine in Arch and Manjaro on Phosh by clicking the app menu arrow "^" then swiping up on whatever app you want to close at the top. Another issue I just thought of with sms is that I believe if the modem gets filled with mms messages that did not go through due to it not being implemented yet, that could block sms's from coming through. There is a way to clear them out if that happens, but I am not sure how. Maybe someone else can chime in on that part.

* Found the code to check/clear mms (See below: This was posted on Matrix and I have not tried it myself so be careful)

Shows the messages jamed up by number:

Code:
sudo mmcli -m 0 --messaging-list-sms

Then delete them one by one with this:
Code:
sudo nmcli --modem 0 --messaging-delete-sms=##
View my projects at: https://gitlab.com/users/The3DmaN/projects or at the3dman.gitlab.io you can also find me on Matrix in many of the Pine related channels.
(02-11-2021, 11:53 AM)The3DmaN Wrote:
(02-11-2021, 08:56 AM)Basic Wrote: One pic is Manjaro KDE Plasma Mobile, the OTHER is...Mobian. The phone came with Manjaro just this month... I put Mobian on it and it has the same issues!

May want to give Arch a try. Arch is similar to Manjaro but more stable. I have not tried Mobian much so I can not speak to that. As for sms that should be working on both Arch, Mobian and Manjaro but obviously that can also be dependant on your carrier. I am on T-Mobile and it works great. As for swiping up on apps to close them, I know that works fine in Arch and Manjaro on Phosh by clicking the app menu arrow "^" then swiping up on whatever app you want to close at the top. Another issue I just thought of with sms is that I believe if the modem gets filled with mms messages that did not go through due to it not being implemented yet, that could block sms's from coming through. There is a way to clear them out if that happens, but I am not sure how. Maybe someone else can chime in on that part.

* Found the code to check/clear mms (See below: This was posted on Matrix and I have not tried it myself so be careful)

Shows the messages jamed up by number:

Code:
sudo mmcli -m 0 --messaging-list-sms

Then delete them one by one with this:
Code:
sudo nmcli --modem 0 --messaging-delete-sms=##

Thank you for the recommendation of ARCH...I am looking in to it now.

I am sure Mobian works on Pinephone, but either not mine, or it's the way it was flashed.  Again, it came from the factory un-usable in KDE Plasma. 

I am also re-reading all the documentation I can...

"Detailed usage instructions
  1. Download the Jumpdrive image

2. Flash the Jumpdrive image to a micro SD card

3. Boot the PinePhone from the Jumpdrive micro SD card

4. Connect the PinePhone to your computer using USB-A -> USB-C cable

5. Flash the exposed PinePhone drive (e.g. /dev/mm..., check for the right device in dmesg, GNOME disks, or similar, and make sure it's unmounted) with your chosen OS image

6. Once the flashing process is complete, disconnect the PinePhone from your PC, power it down and remove the Jumpdrive SD card

7. The process is now finished, and you can boot from eMMC"

Now I have been using Trisquel 7 Gnome Archive manager to flash on to "16GB eMMC" I doubt that is the issue...another possibility is the phone is on step 6 it says to power down the device, and the power down button on jump drive does not work for me....
OK I have Arch Linux on it now...can make SMS and Phone calls, AND I can swipe out of Apps.  Cool 

Not sure if it made the difference, but I used Trisquel 9 ( vs. 7) with the jump drive and it uses a different version of Archive manager.

I am keeping the thread open for now...just in case...as this is not the first time I thought I had the solution...only to have a major issue.

Thanks to all, but a special thank you to The3DmaN. Big Grin
(02-12-2021, 08:38 AM)Basic Wrote: OK I have Arch Linux on it now...can make SMS and Phone calls, AND I can swipe out of Apps.  Cool 

Not sure if it made the difference, but I used Trisquel 9 ( vs. 7) with the jump drive and it uses a different version of Archive manager.

I am keeping the thread open for now...just in case...as this is not the first time I thought I had the solution...only to have a major issue.

Glad to see its working for you on Arch. Arch is pretty stable (still some bugs) and in my opinion the best working distro right now. It is also updated quite frequently as well. Just type the below into the terminal to fetch and apply updates:
Code:
sudo pacman -Syyu
(02-12-2021, 08:48 AM)The3DmaN Wrote:
(02-12-2021, 08:38 AM)Basic Wrote: OK I have Arch Linux on it now...can make SMS and Phone calls, AND I can swipe out of Apps.  Cool 

Glad to see its working for you on Arch. Arch is pretty stable (still some bugs) and in my opinion the best working distro right now. It is also updated quite frequently as well. Just type the below into the terminal to fetch and apply updates:
Code:
sudo pacman -Syyu

I will try that in the near future, the only thing that is is reporting issues is Lollypop... Mucho Gracias Amigo

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Can't get Mobian on PinePhone to recognise USB-C docking bar duncan_bayne 9 6,600 12-04-2023, 02:14 AM
Last Post: Peter Gamma
  Mobian PIN changed after update! Mwo87 21 16,969 12-02-2023, 11:53 PM
Last Post: Karrenbrady
  pinephone texting ability goes in an out jyoung 0 615 08-05-2023, 10:15 PM
Last Post: jyoung
  Problems updating KDE Plasma Mobile OS IMSAI8080 6 3,180 06-30-2023, 11:39 PM
Last Post: ionmich
  Cellular Data, Mobian - "No WWAN Adapter Found" justneedsomedatathanks 3 4,122 05-25-2023, 09:03 PM
Last Post: justneedsomedatathanks
  Buyer beware: Pine64 is not checking their sales email, won't alter or cancel orders 3x5co 5 3,905 01-10-2023, 06:30 PM
Last Post: 3x5co
  No sound after Mobian upgrade arbocenc 1 693 11-28-2022, 11:02 AM
Last Post: arbocenc
Exclamation No wIfI after Mobian update crakabeats 3 2,002 11-03-2022, 04:16 AM
Last Post: wifinoworkie
  pinephone-support package not upgradable on Mobian fhireman 4 2,208 09-24-2022, 08:01 AM
Last Post: dante404
  plasma-dialer doesn't call Ant 7 3,809 04-08-2022, 03:09 PM
Last Post: israel