Status update 2020-12-15
(12-17-2020, 07:07 AM)vongillus Wrote: Great work! I like the way "a-wai" always thinks about the future, no only about fixing problems with quick hacks.

I have the same question about upgrading: I've tried "apt-dist-upgrade" but I am still stuck on 5.9. Is the only way flashing in order to get something consistent? I am so curious to test out the "flawlessness" of these new updates... Smile

I just ran a full install from the installer image from Dec 15 and ended up with 5.9, I don't think 5.10 is available yet in Mobian..
(12-17-2020, 07:46 PM)pajux Wrote:
(12-17-2020, 07:07 AM)vongillus Wrote: Great work! I like the way "a-wai" always thinks about the future, no only about fixing problems with quick hacks.

I have the same question about upgrading: I've tried "apt-dist-upgrade" but I am still stuck on 5.9. Is the only way flashing in order to get something consistent? I am so curious to test out the "flawlessness" of these new updates... Smile

I just ran a full install from the installer image from Dec 15 and ended up with 5.9, I don't think 5.10 is available yet in Mobian..

You are right, it's written "backported". So it was probably part of an update but still with Kernel 5.9.

I also have Megapixels crashing when trying to take a picture. I will probably try to start with the new image then, like this I can play around with encryption.
(12-18-2020, 02:25 AM)vongillus Wrote: I also have Megapixels crashing when trying to take a picture. I will probably try to start with the new image then, like this I can play around with encryption.

Megapixels was fine after flashing/installing, but after an apt upgrade it's broken the same way, not sure which package caused it to break...
Great work!
BTW, I've started Dec-15 image on pinetab and I noticed I can't find chromium browser. Is it available?
I think it was available on Nov-13 version.
(12-18-2020, 11:42 PM)pajux Wrote:
(12-18-2020, 02:25 AM)vongillus Wrote: I also have Megapixels crashing when trying to take a picture. I will probably try to start with the new image then, like this I can play around with encryption.

Megapixels was fine after flashing/installing, but after an apt upgrade it's broken the same way, not sure which package caused it to break...

I tried the (unencrypted) 20201218 nightly and megapixels crashed as soon as I tried to take a picture. (Just confirming - you are not alone!
  • ROCKPro64 v2.1 2GB, 16Gb eMMC for rootfs, SX8200Pro 512GB NVMe for /home, HDMI video & sound, Bluetooth keyboard & mouse. Arch (6.2 kernel, Openbox desktop) for general purpose daily PC.
  • PinePhone Pro Explorer Edition, daily driver, rk2aw & U-boot on SPI, Arch/SXMO & Arch/phosh on eMMC
  • PinePhone BraveHeart now v1.2b 3/32Gb, Tow-boot with Arch/SXMO on eMMC
yes, there was a libtiff upgrade 3 days ago in Debian, this is the reason megapixels crashes.
I noticed a problem on my install where it wouldn't charge no matter how low it gets, when I plug into a charger it does the sound for charging and then immediately stops charging. I just flashed my sdcard with 20201219 and the problem persists. I also noticed it will keep charging if the power is connected when shut down.

Also any chance of including python3-requests packages?
(12-19-2020, 06:12 AM)evilbunny Wrote: Also any chance of including python3-requests packages?

Given that you have full access to the debian repository, it is just an "apt install python3-requests" away...
(12-20-2020, 04:36 PM)spaetz Wrote:
(12-19-2020, 06:12 AM)evilbunny Wrote: Also any chance of including python3-requests packages?

Given that you have full access to the debian repository, it is just an "apt install python3-requests" away...

I already have, but I'm coding an app that needs it.

(12-19-2020, 06:12 AM)evilbunny Wrote: I noticed a problem on my install where it wouldn't charge no matter how low it gets, when I plug into a charger it does the sound for charging and then immediately stops charging. I just flashed my sdcard with 20201219 and the problem persists. I also noticed it will keep charging if the power is connected when shut down.

I plugged the phone into my laptop which charges just fine, but it also alters my routing table on my laptop so everything is routed via the phone, which is annoying.

The phone charger I have works in Ubuntu Touch so it's not a hardware thing.
(12-15-2020, 10:52 AM)a-wai Wrote: Hello,

Mid-December is there, and it comes with a number of features and improvements Smile

We've been indeed quite busy during the past month:
  • We finally created an on-device installer image, based on the awesome work from our friends at pmOS! This allows you to set the password of your choice instead of the default "1234" and, more importantly, it can be used to enable full disk encryption, which is a feature lots of people have been waiting for
  • Several patches from megi's kernel were backported to our kernel, including:
    • Display refresh rate fixes (60Hz inside)
    • I2C frequency increase (improves the touchscreen response time)
    • New driver for the WiFi adapter, bringing more stable connections and improved power management
  • We introduced a few days ago the 'eg25-manager' package, which is a userspace implementation of megi's power management driver with a few added benefits

The latter deserves some explanation, so here it is: while megi's driver is an interesting, I believe it doesn't belong to the kernel space, for various reasons:
  • First of all, it is highly unlikely it will ever be upstreamed
  • It's a convenience driver, which doesn't require any specific kernel-space features or privileges
  • In addition to handling the modem's GPIOs, it also uses its serial port to send hardcoded AT commands; this limits it to a very device-specific use case, and doesn't allow for easy configuration without recompiling the kernel

As I'd prefer removing downstream patches from our kernel over adding some more, I went for a full re-implementation of this driver in userspace. While giving eg25-manager the same capabilities (management of modem GPIOs for power-on/off and suspend/resume sequences, power state monitoring for faster shutdown, initial configuration using AT commands) as megi's driver, it brings in some additional benefits:
First, eg25-manager monitors ModemManager, so it can stay aware of the modem state (acquired by MM, SIM unlocked or not, registered, data connected...). This allows us, for instance, to release the URC (call or SMS notification) cache only once the modem has been acquired by ModemManager after resuming from sleep. It is also possible, that way, to quickly (< 10s) detect that ModemManager fails to bring the modem back online in a reasonable time, and therefore recover the modem from a broken resume state. You'll probably still miss a few calls, but shouldn't have to reboot your phone anymore after a bad suspend/resume cycle (based on the 'mguard' script by @as400).

The PineTab obviously benefits from the kernel upgrade as well, and it even has its own installer image, in case you want full disk encryption on this device too!

Today's images are our new reference releases for both the PinePhone and PineTab.

Enjoy Smile
Ok, I need some translation here. We are not all developers but enthusiasts.

What is the difference between a nightly image and the installer image? My guess is that the installer will allow you to chose some configuration? I assume this configuration can also be changed after the nightly image is working on our phone? Moreover, what release is the installer installing? the last one? the one from 12/15?

What is Megi's Kernel? I know this can go too technical but is someone can explain this with plain words...

What is eg-25 manager? does it need to be installed using apt? Is this a user interface or something that works at the OS level?

thanks!

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  how to update mobian over tor vusra 13 6,540 07-09-2023, 08:57 PM
Last Post: vusra
  Wifi doesn't work after update nickolas 2 1,138 04-14-2023, 10:07 AM
Last Post: nickolas
  PinePhone won't boot after software update jb2000 2 1,250 03-17-2023, 07:26 AM
Last Post: Zebulon Walton
Exclamation Impossible to login since the latest update anonymous 12 3,910 02-26-2023, 01:01 PM
Last Post: anonymous
Exclamation The latest update of eg25-manager seems to cause frequent disconnections anonymous 12 4,031 11-28-2022, 03:30 PM
Last Post: anonymous
  Wifi issue since last update and held back updates goku499 11 5,002 09-21-2022, 02:39 PM
Last Post: Katsujinken
  [SOLVED] Lost Internet connectivity after recent update drh 3 1,759 09-11-2022, 09:24 PM
Last Post: Katsujinken
  Rescue Your Mobian post Update Aug22 faster fix to working guide biketool 9 4,497 09-05-2022, 12:10 AM
Last Post: biketool
  Loving latest Mobian Update drh 11 4,784 08-22-2022, 12:19 PM
Last Post: biketool
  apt-get update "The following signatures were invalid..." grump_fiddle_reinstall 13 7,910 08-22-2022, 10:28 AM
Last Post: Eugo