Help: Pinebook Pro will not enter sleep [Manjaro 20.04]
(09-04-2020, 11:04 AM)feoh Wrote:
(09-04-2020, 10:58 AM)tophneal Wrote:
(09-04-2020, 10:25 AM)feoh Wrote: Hi. I did a bunch of hunting around and couldn't find anything like this.

To be honest, the fact that I have to full shut down and cold boot this laptop really reduces its utility.

Could you please provide a link to what you're talking about? Or to anything that will let me shut the lid and not have my battery dead when I come back in the morning? Smile

Thanks in advance

https://github.com/mrfixit2001/updates_r...filesystem

you need trust, uboot, and idbloader. you can also use the last section of the update script to write it to you emmc.

Thanks a bunch for the reply. Much appreciated. I think I'll try the SleepMode=mem trick and see if that works, and if it doesn't I'll consider this approach. I'd want to get cozy enough with the various firmware utilities and the like that I'd be confident I could get back to a working state if something went wrong.
What is the SleepMode=mem trick and did it work for you?
>What is the SleepMode=mem trick and did it work for you?
in /etc/systemd/sleep.conf
Suspend 3 (sometimes called s3 or s2ram), so far, is the ONLY worthwhile sleep
All others are barely better than screen blanking
Usually ALSO need a bsp uboot, for that version of trust
manjaro was 1st to have a kernel that "worked",,tsy kernel
Elementary uses this kernel, updated uboot no good, have to change (to get s3)
Fedora 32 also works, haven't updated recently so???
xmix's kernel supposedly also works
NO OTHERS (that I know of) can do s3
FWIW,,,,,, if you have more info,, post,,, look for "suspend 3" in dmesg
(and NOT s2idle)
--edit--
BTW if you have nvme, don't bother, pcie driver won't suspend
Really smart to back up 1st 16m BEFORE an upgrade, just in case a new uboot is "not so good", sometimes gets installed 'behind your back'
(and remember,,, if you have a 'working' uboot on emmc, that is the 1 that will ALWAYS be used, whatever uboot is on SD will be ignored,,,
so if you install SD -> emmc, you may well have changed uboots without realizing)
(10-19-2020, 07:36 PM)wdt Wrote: >What is the SleepMode=mem trick and did it work for you?
Fedora 32  also works, haven't updated recently so???
(and NOT s2idle)
--edit--
Really smart to back up 1st 16m BEFORE an upgrade, just in case a new uboot is "not so good", sometimes gets installed 'behind your back'
I'm running Manjaro, if I understand you correctly it should be able to go into S3?

Here are the contents of /etc/systemd/sleep.conf, what do I need to change? I saw someone mention commenting out the SuspendState=freeze line...

[Sleep]
#AllowSuspend=yes
#AllowHibernation=yes
#AllowSuspendThenHibernate=yes
#AllowHybridSleep=yes
#SuspendMode=
SuspendState=freeze
#HibernateMode=platform shutdown
#HibernateState=disk
#HybridSleepMode=suspend platform shutdown
#HybridSleepState=disk
#HibernateDelaySec=180min
In mine,,, SuspendState=mem
Then poweroff, reboot, suspend, wake,,,, dmesg |grep suspend OR s2idle
there should be perhaps 8 lines for suspend, half will say suspend 3,, and NO lines for s2idle
manjaro has a bsp uboot, you may need to install it (uboot-pinebookpro-bsp)
_I_ generally use mrfixit's uboot
(10-19-2020, 08:37 PM)wdt Wrote: In mine,,, SuspendState=mem
Then poweroff, reboot, suspend, wake,,,, dmesg |grep suspend OR s2idle
there should be perhaps 8 lines for suspend, half will say suspend 3,, and NO lines for s2idle
manjaro has a bsp uboot, you may need to install it (uboot-pinebookpro-bsp)
_I_ generally use mrfixit's uboot

I'll give it a try, thank you.

I keep seeing this mrfixit all over these boards, but when I looked at the git page the last update was almost a year ago. Does it not matter if it doesn't get updated? Could running an old mrfixit uboot cause problems later on?
How old is the bios in your x86 box?
uboot is equivalent to rudimentary bios
(10-19-2020, 09:27 PM)wdt Wrote: How old is the bios in your x86 box?
uboot is equivalent to rudimentary bios

Ok, that makes sense. I thought it was like a bootloader for a traditional linux distro. Still very new to linux-on-ARM (but I'm loving it so far).
It is also a boot loader, again a bit rudimentary, searches in boot_target order
Is there something there? is there boot.scr or extlinux.conf in / or /boot or extlinux/?
(to account for 1 or 2 partition distros),, searching every partition (until it finds one, extlinux or boot.scr)
then read where to copy (to mem) dtb and Image, then transfer to kernel (Image)
Because of the sleep thing (ATF), something (of uboot) must still be resident
(10-19-2020, 06:15 PM)MeLikeyTacos Wrote:
(09-04-2020, 11:04 AM)feoh Wrote:
(09-04-2020, 10:58 AM)tophneal Wrote:
(09-04-2020, 10:25 AM)feoh Wrote: Hi. I did a bunch of hunting around and couldn't find anything like this.

To be honest, the fact that I have to full shut down and cold boot this laptop really reduces its utility.

Could you please provide a link to what you're talking about? Or to anything that will let me shut the lid and not have my battery dead when I come back in the morning? Smile

Thanks in advance

https://github.com/mrfixit2001/updates_r...filesystem

you need trust, uboot, and idbloader. you can also use the last section of the update script to write it to you emmc.

Thanks a bunch for the reply. Much appreciated. I think I'll try the SleepMode=mem trick and see if that works, and if it doesn't I'll consider this approach. I'd want to get cozy enough with the various firmware utilities and the like that I'd be confident I could get back to a working state if something went wrong.
What is the SleepMode=mem trick and did it work for you?

I was wrong. Ultimately it did not work and I ended up scrambling my emmc so hard I had to boot off of SD with the emmc switch turned off on the motherboard in order for it not to just go red LED on me and stay that way forever.

I got my system booting normally again by buying/installing t5he 128GB emmc and installing a fresh Manjaro to it.

I've just come to the conclusion that the Pinebook Pro is an experimental FLOSS project and can't be seen as an actual consumer ready laptop. I've been much happier since I did. With Manjaro booting from cold start in well under 2m, this has been a reasonable work-around, at least during the pandemic when I'm mostly house bound. We'll see how things change when I need to travel again.
(10-19-2020, 08:02 PM)MeLikeyTacos Wrote:
(10-19-2020, 07:36 PM)wdt Wrote: >What is the SleepMode=mem trick and did it work for you?
Fedora 32  also works, haven't updated recently so???
(and NOT s2idle)
--edit--
I'm running Manjaro, if I understand you correctly it should be able to go into S3?

Here are the contents of /etc/systemd/sleep.conf, what do I need to change? I saw someone mention commenting out the SuspendState=freeze line...

[Sleep]
#AllowSuspend=yes
#AllowHibernation=yes
#AllowSuspendThenHibernate=yes
#AllowHybridSleep=yes
#SuspendMode=
SuspendState=freeze
#HibernateMode=platform shutdown
#HibernateState=disk
#HybridSleepMode=suspend platform shutdown
#HybridSleepState=disk
#HibernateDelaySec=180min

You can only get S3 through writing bsp uboot (in the manjaro repos or mrfixits) mainline uboot only allows for S2.

If you write bsp to your emmc any OS from SD can then be set to also utilize S3, too. Battery still gets eaten if the booted OS is on SD, but it’s about half as much as S2 on the emmc.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Debian on Pinebook Pro u974615 8 447 03-22-2024, 03:57 PM
Last Post: u974615
  Manjaro Sway Theme Broken Eighty8 1 170 03-08-2024, 08:41 AM
Last Post: tophneal
  Pinebook Pro upgrading from the factory image yamsoup 12 1,122 02-22-2024, 04:02 PM
Last Post: tllim
Question Manjaro with Full Disk Encryption and GRUB dumetrulo 1 1,609 02-02-2024, 02:45 AM
Last Post: frankkinney
  Manjaro network problem late 2023 acruhl 1 219 01-19-2024, 11:32 PM
Last Post: Kevin Kofler
  Help installing Manjaro on eMMC of Pinebook Pro pine4546464 4 1,920 12-13-2023, 07:22 PM
Last Post: trillobite
  Need Help Recovering Manjaro /boot Contents on Pinebook Pro calinb 6 1,980 12-11-2023, 03:47 AM
Last Post: calinb
  Gentoo on Pinebook Pro RELEASE jannik2099 54 86,657 12-08-2023, 11:25 PM
Last Post: tllim
  Manjaro 20.04 not loading from SD (with Manjaro on eMMC) zaius 1 294 12-07-2023, 03:11 PM
Last Post: wdt
  Boot Order in Pinebook Pro food 8 994 11-23-2023, 07:37 AM
Last Post: KC9UDX