Mobile Carriers in the United States
Telenor Hungary does not work with Mobian at all. It says 3G, but calling does not work.
Vodafone Hungary works like a charm. Telenor s*cks ass. Sad
I tested my Verizon SIM in my UBPorts pinephone that arrived yesterday. Had data for a second, now circle just spins under carrier setting, "automatic", Verizon option appeared under selection on one attempt, but latter attempts just have spinning circle.
I recived my PinePhone on Wedesday. I have been using a phone with a nano SIM card from AT&T that I have been already using. So I got a SIM adapter and it fits right into my PinePhone. I am able to make and recieve calls, and use moble data with the BT/WIFI switch turned off. Still need to get a microsd card (i know), but with the most recent UBports update w/o sd card it is working. I did need to restart the phone a couple times after putting the SIM in for it to work. Still waiting to see about texts. Just though I would share what I have experienced as of now.

Edit: I had tried to use the little adapter that came in the PinePhone box but my nano SIM did not fit (plastic was too big). I tried to use a dremel to make it larger for my nano SIM to fit, but I cut too much away so the plastic adapter that came in box did not work for me, thus I had to buy a 5 dollar adapter kit that came with a file etc, and it works. Still buggy...but again i'm not using a SD card yet.
New PinePhone + UBPorts CE user here. I've had some troubles getting Google Fi data-only SIMs to work. Seems this goes through T-Mobile for the most part. My APN settings are as follows but I can't reach any pages when I turn wifi off and use data only.

APN Settings:

Name: fast.t-mobile.com
APN: h2g2
Username:
Password

Under the "used for" section I haven't seen any difference when doing Internet, Internet + MMS, MMS, or LTE.

Has anyone got Google Fi / T-Mobile working?
(06-27-2020, 05:13 PM)ThatGeoGuy Wrote: New PinePhone + UBPorts CE user here. I've had some troubles getting Google Fi data-only SIMs to work. Seems this goes through T-Mobile for the most part. My APN settings are as follows but I can't reach any pages when I turn wifi off and use data only.

APN Settings:

Username:
Password

Under the "used for" section I haven't seen any difference when doing Internet, Internet + MMS, MMS, or LTE.

I've got mine on Google Fi data only, make sure your cellular settings are 2g,3g,4g. It wouldn't work any other way. Plus I reset my APN. Now it works fine, LTE speeds.
(06-27-2020, 05:29 PM)rocket2nfinity Wrote:
(06-27-2020, 05:13 PM)ThatGeoGuy Wrote: New PinePhone + UBPorts CE user here. I've had some troubles getting Google Fi data-only SIMs to work. Seems this goes through T-Mobile for the most part. My APN settings are as follows but I can't reach any pages when I turn wifi off and use data only.

APN Settings:

Username:
Password

I've got mine on Google Fi data only, make sure your cellular settings are 2g,3g,4g. It wouldn't work any other way. Plus I reset my APN. Now it works fine, LTE speeds.
Strangely, I rebooted this morning, and the 2g/3g/4g selection not only showed up, but LTE and everything is working.

Thanks for the tip! I wish I knew what was different between now and when I posted originally though.
Interesting :
Google Fi  data only...
  SO you are using your Pine phone as a mini pocket tablet, 
    Not as a phone ?

Personally,  I use mine mostly as a phone/text device,  and use the data as a hotspot for my laptop,  I prefer the larger screen for online usage.
  Can you still hotspot with the data only plan ? 
    > Some Carriers forbid hot spotting and tethering <
    My 'Prepaid' service Does allow both,  but the same carrier does not in the Post pay version

But it IS about making our own choices.
      LINUX = CHOICES
         **BCnAZ**
               Idea
   Donate to $upport
your favorite OS Team
(06-09-2020, 07:32 AM)brb78 Wrote:
(04-11-2020, 08:37 AM)laserbeamh Wrote: Also on Debian/Phosh on Verizon. I've got incoming and outgoing calls working (pretty consistently), outgoing texts (incoming don't work), and data working.

I had to dial a number to get data working (either #777 or *228, I was having issues with #777 so I'm not sure which actually worked). I have the option of 4 different APNs for Verizon available, and have to choose vzwinternet to get data working (in addition to dailing). I was able to get both Web and Firefox to connect to various websites, and got hits on all repos in King's Cross.

The only thing I'm having issues with on a the connectivity front is incoming texts. If anyone has any idea, I'm all ears!

@bcnaz I know you asked about hotspotting in the other thread. I don't see how to set up a hotspot, but if you let me know where it is, I'll give it a shot!

Any update on Verizon incoming texts? Has anyone gotten that to work? if so, how?

I'm in the same boat as you both, any progress on incoming texts via Verizon?

For everyone: How are missed calls/voicemails handled? If I have my phone off or in deep sleep (mobian + verizon), incoming texts and calls never show up once the phone is powered on.

*edit: Maybe I can get texts when the phone is in low power mode through the modem-manager-gui. I just received a text but the gui says it's from November 30, 1999, 00:00:00.
* edit 2: and now incoming texts through the same sender are showing up in the Chatty gui. Not sure how this happened but hope it sticks.
(06-28-2020, 11:05 AM)bcnaz Wrote: Interesting :
Google Fi  data only...
  SO you are using your Pine phone as a mini pocket tablet, 
    Not as a phone ?

Personally,  I use mine mostly as a phone/text device,  and use the data as a hotspot for my laptop,  I prefer the larger screen for online usage.
  Can you still hotspot with the data only plan ? 
    > Some Carriers forbid hot spotting and tethering <
    My 'Prepaid' service Does allow both,  but the same carrier does not in the Post pay version

But it IS about making our own choices.
I'm just testing it out trying to learn the ins and outs of the different distros and the limits of the device. I have another phone, so phone function not critical at the moment. Google Fi allows hotspot on any device. You can have five data only Sims per account.
* I heard someone mention Google FI a while back, but I myself am not familiar with their offering.

BUT I am just a bit wary of all things Google, that's just me.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  can I retrieve accidentally deleted voice mail with T mobile ? HLing 4 798 12-13-2023, 01:24 AM
Last Post: oldschool
  New Zealand network providers mobile data Linux2thabone 3 3,261 08-05-2023, 06:17 AM
Last Post: SchizoPinePhone225
  US Mobile, via T-Mobile, won't support Pinephone Pro - SOLVED, SIMPLY jovval 10 3,208 07-07-2023, 12:06 PM
Last Post: jovval
  Problems updating KDE Plasma Mobile OS IMSAI8080 6 3,308 06-30-2023, 11:39 PM
Last Post: ionmich
  Current Situation With Setup and Carrier Activation With Tracfone Verizon T-Mobile pinephoneuser22 0 691 05-26-2023, 08:40 PM
Last Post: pinephoneuser22
  Cannot call at several mobile phones Gon 3 1,307 05-04-2023, 05:18 AM
Last Post: Gon
  MMS-Monitor: Help for carriers with dual APNs? treebeard 2 1,328 02-10-2023, 02:45 PM
Last Post: treebeard
  Phone carriers and the Speakout carrier bedtime 3 2,060 08-16-2022, 11:11 PM
Last Post: Oblivion2528
  compatible carriers the7thpoint 2 1,700 06-17-2022, 08:24 AM
Last Post: mikehenson
Lightbulb pinephone mobile dock jasmin763 2 1,691 06-06-2022, 09:06 AM
Last Post: 98cwitr