US Mobile, via T-Mobile, won't support Pinephone Pro - SOLVED, SIMPLY
After confirming that US Mobile (USM) supported the PinePhone (PP) via T-Mobile (and, naturally, not via Verizon), I purchased a PP Pro (PPP).

With the IMEI, I confirmed (and have confirmed three more times) with the representative that the phone is compatible.

Using the USM's web interface, I entered my information, including the IMEI, and USM transferred my # by the start of the next day.

I could neither make nor receive calls.

On the third call, the representative told me that my phone and IMEI were "partially compatible", meaning that some areas of T-Mobile's network did not have frequencies matching the PP and would have no service. (With Tello, a provider I subsequently called, the rep. told me the PP was "fully compatible" with T-Mobile's network.) But. The rep. proceed to say that

because US Mobile requires a "phone modem" and the PPP has a "stand-alone modem", the PPP can not work with USM.

The last rep. suggested I try to "patch" the modem's software.

I would like to have USM functional on my phone as, out of nine (9) Mobile Virtual Network Operators (MVNOs) it offers the best, sufficient service (500min, 500 texts, 500MB) comcomitant with the lowest cost ($5/mo -- yielding $8.57/mo including fees and taxes, per the representatives with whom I spoke).

All MVNOs trounce T-Mobile on price: $65/mo. So, I have high motivation to work with an MVNO, especially USM,

Could someone suggest a work-around, perhaps one that would allow me to have the PPP's modem masquerade as a phone modem?
(06-30-2023, 02:03 PM)jovval Wrote: ... because US Mobile requires a "phone modem" and the PPP has a "stand-alone modem", the PPP can not work with USM.

Did they provide any info on what they think the difference is or why they care?  FWIW, Ting works fine on one of my Pinephones.
(06-30-2023, 02:03 PM)jovval Wrote: After confirming that US Mobile (USM) supported the PinePhone (PP) via T-Mobile (and, naturally, not via Verizon), I purchased a PP Pro (PPP).

With the IMEI, I confirmed (and have confirmed three more times) with the representative that the phone is compatible.

Using the USM's web interface, I entered my information, including the IMEI, and USM transferred my # by the start of the next day.

On the third call, the representative told me that my phone and IMEI were "partially compatible", meaning that some areas of T-Mobile's network did not have frequencies matching the PP and would have no service. (With Tello, a provider I subsequently called, the rep. told me the PP was "fully compatible" with T-Mobile's network.) But. The rep. proceed to say that

because US Mobile requires a "phone modem" and the PPP has a "stand-alone modem", the PPP can not work with USM.

I would like to have USM functional on my phone as, out of nine (9) Mobile Virtual Network Operators (MVNOs) it offers the best, sufficient service (500min, 500 texts, 500MB) comcomitant with the lowest cost ($5/mo -- yielding $8.57/mo including fees and taxes, per the representatives with whom I spoke).

All MVNOs trounce T-Mobile on price: $65/mo. So, I have high motivation to work with an MVNO, especially USM,

Could someone suggest a work-around, perhaps one that would allow me to have the PPP's modem masquerade as a phone modem?

Are you by chance in an area where T-mobile (via US Mobile) has limited service and relies on roaming and their less used bands? I use USMobile and have a PP and PPP one on the T-mobile sim and one on the Verizon sim. Both work for calls and data.

Did you get your PPP second hand? Someone may have wiped the modem and reset it up without the VoLTE part added. Otherwise it should just work out of the box - no need to mask by changing IMEI or anything.

Given the problems with call audio on the PPP of course. The OG PP calls are clear and good.
(06-30-2023, 09:00 PM)treebeard Wrote:
(06-30-2023, 02:03 PM)jovval Wrote: ... because US Mobile requires a "phone modem" and the PPP has a "stand-alone modem", the PPP can not work with USM.

Did they provide any info on what they think the difference is or why they care?  FWIW, Ting works fine on one of my Pinephones.

They did not. Pine64's Sales did, in a reply to my query, use the term "stand-alone modem". I have asked sales and will ask US Mobile.

Incidentally, I have posted my research on providers and included your comment about Ting here,
US Cell Phone Service Providers with prices and phone numbers - https://forum.pine64.org/showthread.php?tid=18438

Oddly, the representatives identified themselves (at the number I found when searching for Ting) as being at BoostMobile. Any idea why a call to Ting gives me BoostMobile?

(07-01-2023, 12:38 AM)rocket2nfinity Wrote: Are you by chance in an area where T-mobile (via US Mobile) has limited service and relies on roaming and their less used bands? I use USMobile and have a PP and PPP one on the T-mobile sim and one on the Verizon sim. Both work for calls and data.

Did you get your PPP second hand? Someone may have wiped the modem and reset it up without the VoLTE part added. Otherwise it should just work out of the box - no need to mask by changing IMEI or anything.

Given the problems with call audio on the PPP of course. The OG PP calls are clear and good.

I may be in such an area. I will inquire with T-Mobile and, informed by your being on its network, US Mobile.

On a related subject I have posted my research on providers and noted your using US Mobile here,
US Cell Phone Service Providers with prices and phone numbers - https://forum.pine64.org/showthread.php?tid=18438

As for Verizon, I have heard from multiple MVNOs that Verizon is not compatible with my phone. Something exceptional sounds to be happening with your service. If you have further details, please share them.

My PPP I purchased new. Support wants me to test the modem. I have my reasons for being skeptical and reluctant to do so.
1. Sales mentioned "stand-alone modem" as part of the PPP. US Mobile, as the problem.
2. Support does not yet understand the above issue.

I am grateful for your sharing your ongoing use of US Mobile's network. It vindicates my choice of the provider.

Do you know if you US Mobile sees your phone as having a phone modem? Or does USM see yours as having, like mine, a stand-alone modem?
(07-01-2023, 01:39 AM)jovval Wrote:
(06-30-2023, 09:00 PM)treebeard Wrote:

They did not. Pine64's Sales did, in a reply to my query, use the term "stand-alone modem". I have asked sales and will ask US Mobile.

Incidentally, I have posted my research on providers and included your comment about Ting here,

Oddly, the representatives identified themselves (at the number I found when searching for Ting) as being at BoostMobile. Any idea why a call to Ting gives me BoostMobile?

(07-01-2023, 12:38 AM)rocket2nfinity Wrote: Are you by chance in an area where T-mobile (via US Mobile) has limited service and relies on roaming and their less used bands? I use USMobile and have a PP and PPP one on the T-mobile sim and one on the Verizon sim. Both work for calls and data.

I may be in such an area. I will inquire with T-Mobile and, informed by your being on its network, US Mobile.

On a related subject I have posted my research on providers and noted your using US Mobile here,

As for Verizon, I have heard from multiple MVNOs that Verizon is not compatible with my phone. Something exceptional sounds to be happening with your service. If you have further details, please share them.

My PPP I purchased new. Support wants me to test the modem. I have my reasons for being skeptical and reluctant to do so.
1. Sales mentioned "stand-alone modem" as part of the PPP. US Mobile, as the problem.
2. Support does not yet understand the above issue.

I am grateful for your sharing your ongoing use of US Mobile's network. It vindicates my choice of the provider.

Do you know if you US Mobile sees your phone as having a phone modem? Or does USM see yours as having, like mine, a stand-alone modem?
T-mobile (and US Mobile) usually do not ask, nor care about your imei as long as it's not black listed. So, you should get one of their trial sims and drive around with it, particularly to a populated area, and see if it works. It should. The modem is perfectly compatible, it just lacks a few bands such as band 71, that are necessary for rural areas.

The way to register your Pinephone on Verizon's network with US Mobile is to provide the imei of a Verizon compatible cellphone. A cheap flip phone will do. US Mobile controls their access list. So, they let you swap your sim with another phone (your pinephone). Verizon itself and most MVNOs won't allow that. There are quite a few of us on US Mobile for that reason. They usually know what a Pinephone is, and yes it shows up as a data device, not a cellphone.

And use Cellmapper or a similar service to determine the actual coverage of your area by a service provider. The cell companies will just go by their map which is not reliable. Cellmapper provides field data gathered by users. They have a webpage in addition to their android app.
(07-02-2023, 01:27 AM)rocket2n Wrote: T-mobile (and US Mobile) usually do not ask, nor care about your imei as long as it's not black listed. So, you should get one of their trial sims and drive around with it, particularly to a populated area, and see if it works. It should. The modem is perfectly compatible, it just lacks a few bands such as band 71, that are necessary for rural areas.

The way to register your Pinephone on Verizon's network with US Mobile is to provide the imei of a Verizon compatible cellphone. A cheap flip phone will do. US Mobile controls their access list. So, they let you swap your sim with another phone (your pinephone). Verizon itself and most MVNOs won't allow that. There are quite a few of us on US Mobile for that reason. They usually know what a Pinephone is, and yes it shows up as a data device, not a cellphone.

And use Cellmapper or a similar service to determine the actual coverage of your area by a service provider. The cell companies will just go by their map which is not reliable. Cellmapper provides field data gathered by users. They have a webpage in addition to their android app.

Regardless of which provider I use, I still have support telling me that they my stand-alone modem will not work.

Good to know about Verizon. I do have a SIM for Verizon from US Mobile.

Instructions to change the IMEI - https://forum.pine64.org/showthread.php?tid=16752

I do have the IMEI from my old Verizon flip phone. I presume I have to follow the above link's directions to use Verizon (and benefit from a 100 days free usage from US Mobile).
(07-02-2023, 08:22 AM)jovval Wrote:
(07-02-2023, 01:27 AM)rocket2n Wrote: T-mobile (and US Mobile) usually do not ask, nor care about your imei as long as it's not black listed. So, you should get one of their trial sims and drive around with it, particularly to a populated area, and see if it works. It should. The modem is perfectly compatible, it just lacks a few bands such as band 71, that are necessary for rural areas.

Regardless of which provider I use, I still have support telling me that they my stand-alone modem will not work.

Good to know about Verizon. I do have a SIM for Verizon from US Mobile.

Instructions to change the IMEI - https://forum.pine64.org/showthread.php?tid=16752

I do have the IMEI from my old Verizon flip phone. I presume I have to follow the above link's directions to use Verizon (and benefit from a 100 days free usage from US Mobile).

You do not need to change the IMEI of the Pinephone modem with US Mobile. You only need to register the IMEI of the Verizon phone when setting up the black sim, then stick it in your Pinephone

You can try one sim and then do an internal port to the other to compare. Just register the sim on either network and stick it in the Pinephone. It should just work. VoLTE is initialized out of the box.

Troubleshooting is much easier in the Telegram Pinephone channel by the way. Plenty of knowledgable people around there to help you.
(06-30-2023, 02:03 PM)jovval Wrote: After confirming that US Mobile (USM) supported the PinePhone (PP) via T-Mobile (and, naturally, not via Verizon), I purchased a PP Pro (PPP).

I have resolved the problem.
The following is from a supervisor's email to me.

The APN needed to be in caps:
APN :- PWG  (PWG MUST BE CAPITAL)
MMSC :- http://pwg.mmsmvno.com/mms/wapenc
APN Protocol: IPv4/IPv6
APN Roaming Protocol: IPv4/IPv6
Leave all unmentioned fields blank or at default, save and select the APN and restart the phone.

Thank you!

Daud Navin
    Associate Technical Support Manager
For some reason, I had lower case instead of upper case.
Stranger still, four consecutive representatives wrongly described the phone as not support as a "network module", "standby-modem", or "data device".
I only entered
US Mobile
PWG
under Settings --> Cellular Network --> SIMs --> Modify APNs --> Add APN
The supervisor deserves commendation for his composure, quick and simple thinking, and setting me at ease.

I have tested
(1) the phone for both incoming and outgoing calls.
(2) text with the Spacebar app for both incoming and outgoing messages.
(3) data using Angelfish by going to wikipedia's main page.
(4) wifi using apt to install a program.
(5) via terminal, as root, the command
ip addr
gave an external ip address (with a /29 route for those who understand routing).
(6) the command
lynx http://checkip.dyndns.org
gave an IP which did not match the IP from my prior command.
The command
whois <IP address>
for both the IP addresses above showed that both had T-Mobile as their owner.
I could ping neither address.
(7) The command, as root,
iptables -S
showed only
-P INPUT ACCEPT
-P OUTPUT ACCEPT
-P FORWARD ACCEPT
indicating that the PP is not blocking any traffic.

From my workstation (using its external IP address), I could ping neither address found in 5 and 6 above.
(07-02-2023, 09:38 PM)jovval Wrote:

I have resolved the problem.
The following is from a supervisor's email to me.

The APN needed to be in caps:
APN :- PWG  (PWG MUST BE CAPITAL)
MMSC :- http://pwg.mmsmvno.com/mms/wapenc
APN Protocol: IPv4/IPv6
APN Roaming Protocol: IPv4/IPv6
Leave all unmentioned fields blank or at default, save and select the APN and restart the phone.

Thank you!

Daud Navin
    Associate Technical Support Manager
For some reason, I had lower case instead of upper case.
Stranger still, four consecutive representatives wrongly described the phone as not support as a "network module", "standby-modem", or "data device".
I only entered
US Mobile
PWG
under Settings --> Cellular Network --> SIMs --> Modify APNs --> Add APN
The supervisor deserves commendation for his composure, quick and simple thinking, and setting me at ease.

NOTE: I have tested
(1) the phone for both incoming and outgoing calls and
(2) via terminal, as root, the command
ip addr
which gave an external ip address (with a /29 route for those who understand routing).
(3) the command
lynx http://checkip.dyndns.org
gave an IP which did not match the IP from my prior command.
The command
whois <IP address>
for both the IP addresses above showed that both had T-Mobile as their owner.
I could ping neither address.
(4) The command
iptables -S
showed only
-P INPUT ACCEPT
-P OUTPUT ACCEPT
-P FORWARD ACCEPT
indicating that the PP is not blocking any traffic.
(5) From my workstation, I could ping neither address.

I have not tested text (while Daud Navin did send me a text on two phones, and I received it on the non-PP one, I did not find an app on my PP to check for received texts).
That depends on your distro. For gnome based distros, it will be Chatty. For Plasma Mobile (KDE) based distros it will be SpaceBar. I have no idea what it would be for Sxmo
(07-02-2023, 09:38 PM)jovval Wrote: From my workstation (using its external IP address), I could ping neither address found in 5 and 6 above.

It is possible that those adresses are just configured not to respond to ping.  As long as things like calls, SMS, MMS, and web browsing are working then I think you're good to go.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  PinePhone - boot from microSD laserpyramid 7 600 04-25-2024, 05:56 AM
Last Post: aular
  pinephone virtual keyboard aular 4 363 04-10-2024, 03:45 PM
  PinePhone Doesn't Boot LED Doesn't Show Any Signs When Charging dorkydev 1 243 04-02-2024, 11:50 AM
Last Post: Kevin Kofler
  Are you using the Pinephone as your daily driver? jro 157 109,466 02-18-2024, 11:33 PM
  2020 PinePhone Manjaro CE EU for sale, name your price astrojuanlu 7 1,838 02-14-2024, 04:51 PM
Last Post: astrojuanlu
  pinephone is not bootble for the box. ijij 1 615 01-19-2024, 01:29 PM
Last Post: fxc
  Multiple issues with the Pinephone MTXP 12 2,380 12-28-2023, 07:55 AM
Last Post: MTXP
  pinephone repair shop shengchieh 0 505 12-26-2023, 02:42 PM
Last Post: shengchieh
  sudo nano file saving pinephone beta edition CharlesGnarley 4 1,714 12-22-2023, 03:44 PM
Last Post: Kevin Kofler
  can I retrieve accidentally deleted voice mail with T mobile ? HLing 4 850 12-13-2023, 01:24 AM
Last Post: oldschool